Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

FIRST LOOK at ABC’s plans for election night

Saturday 2 July from 5.30pm AEST

ABC TV, News 24 and live streamed on iview and ABC News Digital

Leading ABC TV’s live and continuous coverage will be host Leigh Sales, Political Editor Chris Uhlmann and ABC Election Analyst Antony Green. Some of the ABC’s best political minds – Annabel Crabb, Barrie Cassidy and Michael Rowland – will provide expert analysis and commentary throughout the night as the numbers come in. There will be crosses to the Coalition and Labor Party headquarters with ABC News Political Correspondent Greg Jennett and 7.30 Political Correspondent Sabra Lane.

Guest political panellists are the Treasurer Scott Morrison and Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, Senator Penny Wong.

The coverage will feature uninterrupted, up-to-the minute results, with regular updates throughout the night on key marginal seats as well as crosses to candidates and key political figures around Australia. Find out how Australians have voted in Election 2016 on ABC TV.

1 Like

Going from a tweet I saw between James Matheson and Osher Gunsberg it appears ‘The Election Project’ returns for Election Night 2016

4 Likes

Is this the tweet that you’re referring to?

Doesn’t really suggest that in my opinion :thinking:

I later sent him a tweet asking to confirm and he mentioned it was.

2 Likes

They should find something else than The Project. The ratings for 2013 Election were diabolical. If I was Ten, I wouldn’t go with The Project due to the fact of the ratings and the main channel share was just above 6%. TEN News team should be given a go.

The Election Project was a complete disaster in 2013, why bring it back?

1 Like

Personally, I would just be thankful that Ten are even going to the trouble of doing some form of proper Federal Election coverage on July 2. I was seriously expecting them to just run normal programing with updates through the night like what happened with the QLD and NSW State Elections last year!

I wouldn’t mind if the network did a late night bulletin to cover the election.

I think they should keep going with this. They’re having a go. Better than nothing or some tacky late bulletin.

They can’t just sit there and do nothing. Maybe the demos are quite good. Plus they have excellent Waleed an actual journalist to head the coverage. I’m sure they will have Steve price on the panel as the token rabid right winger.

3 Likes

Why not the following?

• AEST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, The Election Project at 6pm - covering exit polls, the fluff that Seven and Nine would have been peddling for an hour already; run a film up until 9pm and then come in with (hopefully) a result
  • ACST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, The Election Project at 5.30pm, film until 8:30
  • AWST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, filler until 7pm
2 Likes

Studio 10 could have done something. They did a pretty good job covering the SA election a few years ago

4 Likes

I thought you were saying “right whinger”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They did nothing during the 2000s and rated quite well. TV Cynic posted the figures for previous elections somewhere.

Ten aren’t known for Election coverage and the demos are all out getting wasted anyway.

So what? They still should be doing something. We are a democracy and viewers need to be informed by multiple news services.

Times have changed and the TV landscape has changed.

This thread is about media coverage, not the personal political preferences of forum members nor is it a debate about federal politics (that belongs in this thread).

Off topic posts have been removed.

ABC, Sky News, Seven, Nine. Plenty to go around.

Even The Chaser promo makes reference to movies on Ten.

https://twitter.com/ABCTV/status/735793192709169152

…and I’m sure there will be plenty of alternative programing on the multichannels come Federal Election night for those who really don’t want to watch the coverage! :wink:

But some people would prefer ten. Waleed and Hugh are better than many of the others on other networks.

The multi channels can air movies and alternate programming

2 Likes

the ratings says otherwise for 2013

Of course since 2013, analogue TV has been switched off completely (was still running in a few markets at the time of the last Federal Election), more multichannels have been launched and the proliferation of online streaming services has exploded. But I guess we’ll ignore that…

There are NO excuses for Ten not to be doing some sort of coverage of the 2016 Federal Election (or any major news event that warrants extended/rolling coverage outside of regular bulletins, but that’s for another topic) as far as I’m concerned. Alternative programing should be left purely for the multichannels, of which there are plenty on free to air TV let alone Pay TV.

1 Like