Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Oporto is just out of shot on the left.

1 Like

Important update - I was able to secure delivery of a Big Jack today for lunch. I prefer it over a Big Mac, as I liked the bigger onion slices and slightly more meat, but I’d have a Bacon Deluxe over it any day.

5 Likes

I haven’t had it yet but HJ’s generally tastes better than Maccas so I can imagine it’d be great :drooling_face:

Also, Bacon Deluxe :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

I have a HJ located in my 5km radius so I decided to try the Big Jack the other day and I agree with @Moe that it’s better than a Big Mac. I’m not too sure if I’ll try the Mega Jack.

I was disappointed to learn though that HJ have taken their low-carb range off the menu. I’d normally order a low-carb burger for my cheat meal whenever I had Hungry Jacks.

I think HJ withdrew the low-carb range because it didn’t sell very well.

1 Like

I’m glad HJ has a true vegan and veggie burger option, unlike McDonalds with their faux Veggie Burger.

1 Like

HJ’s have added to their ‘Big Jack’ ad - ‘someone’s suing Hungry Jacks! They think the Big Jack sounds like some American burger…’

Clearly a stunt all along.

3 Likes

Wasn’t it obvious?

Yeh I’ve said that all along. I just find it going to the next level with the way they are proudly announcing it on tv.

I guess they are going hard with the publicity, while they can, just in case they are forced to dump it. If not, it’s just generating lots of free publicity for them.

3 Likes

Yeh good point. I should do some research into the legal case. I thought you could name your competitors these days. And there are so many obvious rip off brands these days (take Aldi for example) that I suspect this is more a pride thing for Maccas. That being said, I’m certain they’ve had a ‘Bacon Deluxe’ equivalent previously.

I saw the ad last night. Here it is.
https://mumbrella.com.au/someones-suing-hungry-jacks-burger-trademark-battle-heats-up-with-new-big-jack-tvc-642771

I don’t understand what’s with the EXTREME backlash against vegan options being put on the menu. You read stories about HJ’s putting a Beyond burger on the menu and comments sections light up with ‘NEVER EATING AT HONGRY JARKCS EVER EVER AGAIN!’. It’s tribalist madness.

3 Likes

Former NRL stars Paul Gallen and Nate Myles have been signed up by Domino’s Pizza for a television commercial promoting the company’s half ‘n’ half pizza. It will be shown before and during Nine’s SOO telecast in November this year. Gallen and Myles were involved in a violent punch-up during an SOO game in 2013.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/saint-sinner-shoosh-paul-gallen-and-nate-myles-cash-in-on-ugly-origin-brawl-shane-flanagan-fury/news-story/6ebc255f10e6d7064e97a3ee1f4c0f59

2 Likes

Vegans and vegetarians are more likely to be health conscious and would not ordinarily visit fast food outlets. The exception might be on a road trip late at night where there are no other viable options other than a ‘queue and spew’; for these occasions it would be prudent to have vegan and vegetarian options. The same with the venerable ‘late night kebab’ style dining after a hard night on the tiles.

2 Likes

That’s what Subway and Falafel are for. :wink:

1 Like

There’s one near where I moved, and another being built right around the corner from me as well. I tried it recently (vegan), it was good a bit like Hungry Jacks burger but a bit nicer. The chips are delicious, and nothing like the US version which was greasy and very low end.

I agree. The burger I had was basically a cheaper version of a Whopper.

That’s I suppose the odd thing - Carls Jr are good, but not good enough to be worth a big trip, which is a problem for how out of the way most of their stores are. I don’t know how they get big enough to be sustainable here like that - because their pricing wouldn’t make strong margins.

At some point they’ll need to decide it is working and make a push to better locations, or probably end up shutting like a lot of other new fast food entrants have, as I can’t imagine a US company deciding to stick around to just be a relatively minor player in the market permanently?