Eurovision Song Contest

Apparently there was some error in the SBS Semi-Final 2 primetime replay on Saturday evening, where some director/‘gallery’ communications made it into the audio track during the Belgium performance. There’s a bit of social media comments making reference to “Commentator One”.

Not exactly sure what happened, but that particular show replay is still missing from SBS On Demand.

1 Like

And even talking over the voting results.

2 Likes

Get ready to edit

1 Like

Cut off all ties with the EBU immediately.

Congratulations to Sweden. Australia did well to make the top 10. Disappointing result for the hosts.

Just announced that Australia won Semi-final 2 votes.

2 Likes

voyager robbed

4 Likes

I agree that the winning song was good but didn’t feel like it was the best song.

Good to see Australia made the top 10. The SBS hosts just mentioned that the order of votes for the semi-finals have been revealed and Voyager came first in the votes for the second semi-final.

2 Likes

Next Eurovision in Sweden will be 50th anniversary of ABBA’s win.

1 Like

Really happy with Sweden winning!! I absolutely love Loreen, Euphoria and Tattoo! She is just one of the Eurovision greats.

In the end it was a very close result but I was all behind Loreen this year. The Top 3 were all my top songs as well, so was happy to see Finland and Israel up there. That was truly a nail biter when it was down to Finland and Sweden… very close!

Australia did very well with the jury and to finish 9th overall. Great to hear that we won Semi-Final 2 despite a low crowd score in the final. I think that comes down to the front runners all being in the first semi and therefore a lot of people that voted for Aus then put their support behind others in the final.

I wonder if we will return next year? The chat with Myf and Joel didn’t reveal anything and made me wonder if the reason for that was because it will be our last year.

1 Like

Deidre Chambers, what a coincidence !

Yes it was over much of the Belgian performance. Ironically not during the live broadcast somehow.

I wouldn’t be devastated if Australia didn’t take part again.

1 Like

Amazing Australia showing why SBS need to renew their Eurovision contract for 2024

3 Likes

Probably just because SBS haven’t signed a new contract to have Australia involved in the competition. Myf and Joel could still go to Sweden and narrate even if Australia didn’t compete. Julia and Sam were doing it since 2009 before Australia started competing in 2015.

1 Like

Bring back Julia and Sam for our coverage :slight_smile:

SBS will be covering the Eurovision for some time, so we will always have someone over to “commentate” and to do the interviews.

3 Likes

A tragic reminder of why the event was in UK this year

Russian missiles have hit the western Ukrainian city of Ternopil as Ukraine performed in the Eurovision song contest in Liverpool.

The western city is home to the electro-pop duo Tvorchi, who represented Ukraine in this year’s contest.

5 Likes

Semi final results -

Across the two tables, Australia was second overall.

PLACE COUNTRY SONG / ARTIST POINTS RUNNING
1 Australia Promise 149 16
Voyager
2 Austria Who The Hell Is Edgar? 137 13
Teya & Salena
3 Poland Solo 124 9
Blanka
4 Lithuania Stay 110 15
Monika Linkytė
5 Slovenia Carpe Diem 103 10
Joker Out
PLACE COUNTRY SONG / ARTIST POINTS RUNNING
1 Finland Cha Cha Cha 177 15
Käärijä
2 Sweden Tattoo 135 11
Loreen
3 Israel Unicorn 127 9
Noa Kirel
4 Czechia My Sister’s Crown 110 13
Vesna
5 Moldova Soarele și Luna 109 10
Pasha Parfeni

Points to Australia in semi

Personally I wanted Finland to win. I still don’t get the attraction of the Swedish song this year, but to each their own. I just thought it was so bland and forgettable. Good result for Voyager and I’m a little heartened that the public vote wasn’t worse in the final. I was worried it was going to be zero. I’d say we’ll be back next year.

4 Likes

Not sure about that. Voyager is one of those bands that appeals to hardcore Eurovision fans (hence why it won SF2) but was never going to do the same with the broader public who only watch and vote in the Eurovision GF.

It wasn’t a nail biter by any stretch. It was pretty clear early in the jury vote what direction the outcome was heading in and it became definitely clear by the end of it that Sweden had built up an all but insurmountable lead.

I feel the same way now too. While the EBU and hardcore Eurovision fans (for the most part) have embraced Australia participating in the competition, it’s become clear that the broader public who only watch/vote in the Eurovision GF thinks it has no place being involved in the competition. The fact that (especially in the last few years) Australia does really well with the juries but does extremely poorly in the televote is a testament to that.

3 Likes

But Australia topped the televotes in semi-final 2 so that’s not true. It just means there were other acts that were more popular in the grand final.

1 Like

I’m talking about GF televoting.

SF televoting is a different beast considering the audience is primarily hardcore Eurovision fans.

1 Like

I liked Israel’s entry ,yes I agree with other posters,there were better songs than Sweden’s

1 Like