Eurovision Song Contest

I can see both sides to this. I don’t think we should pull out but it’s hard to argue with the televote results and there’s no point in trying to spin it. Last year in particular was a joke. I personally hated the song with a passion but the public votes we received were an absolute joke and proved we’re not popular. It was quite embarrassing. Anyway I also agree we need to ditch the ballads and Montaigne and go for pop. Doubt we will ever reach the heights of Dami again though.

2 Likes

Adding in voting from the “rest of the world”, will be interesting if they give any idea where the votes are from and how significant the number is. The rest of world block will also need a professional jury.

1 Like

The rest of the world votes will be combined into 1 set of extra votes. So essentially they are acting as an extra country. There will be no jury for the rest of the world voting. Televote will account for 50.6% of the votes in the final.

1 Like

Surprised that SBS hasn’t picked up Big Eurovision Party. Sheldon Riley did appear as part of the concert.

3 Likes

‘Eurovision - Australia Decides’ has taken out two awards at the prestigious Asian Academy Creative Awards.

The program took out the Best Music Show and Best Non-Scripted Entertainment Show for Blink TV and SBS.

1 Like

AJ Odudu presented the UK jury points in last year’s Eurovision Song Contest final, while Rylan has been a co-commentator on the BBC’s coverage of Eurovision semi-finals since 2018.

2 Likes

Eurovision’s presentation theme for this year’s contest has been revealed: United by Music. The brand was designed by Superunion London/Design Bridge and Partners (on behalf of the BBC) and Ukrainian commercial broadcaster StarlightMedia’s in-house creative department (on behalf of Suspilne).

2 Likes

So when will our Aussie artist be announced? With the competition only 3.5 months away I would guess it to be announced sometime this month.

I’ve still got my money on Dami Im returning.

1 Like

The semi-final draw for the 2023 contest was held at Liverpool this morning Australian time.

Australia will take part in the second semi-final.

2 Likes

When is the Australian song going to be announced? Surely they’re running a bit late aren’t they?

Our internal selections have usually been announced in March. Deadline for song and artist submissions is mid March.

All our other internal selections have been announced in March.

1 Like

Looks like it might be Voyager

2 Likes

I hope so. They were my favourite at Australia Decides last time by a mile.

1 Like

Band Wild Youth has been chosen to represent Ireland at this year’s contest at Liverpool.

2 Likes

Super Saturday

1 Like

Potential programming for SBS around the 2023 Eurovision.

The Greatest Show on Earth (w/t), produced by Little Gem, will celebrate 25 years since the UK last hosted the contest, with 25 reasons why the Eurovision Song Contest is ‘The Greatest Show on Earth’.

And The Winner Isn’t (w/t), produced by Merseyside-based Shearwater Media, charts the success of those Eurovision Song Contest entrants who may not have scored enough points to win the iconic competition, but have gone on to score great success in the music industry.

Eurovision Song Contest 2023: Postcards

Every year, audiences look forward to the short-form postcards which precede each country’s live performance. This year’s postcards will embody the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest slogan: United by Music, and use innovative techniques to showcase each Eurovision entry as well as linking the UK and Ukraine.

According to TV Tonight SBS are announcing the internally chosen Australian act for Eurovision 2023 at 5:30 AM tomorrow.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s Sheppard! Love their upbeat cheerful music.