Eurovision Song Contest

Courtney Act will be Australia’s Eurovision Spokesperson.

1 Like

The final was held last weekend so beware of spoilers.

Spoilers results

1 Like

Second semi

News report

From SBS

Australia’s Sheldon Riley through to Eurovision Grand Final!

Get behind Sheldon on Sunday 15 May on SBS Australia’s Sheldon Riley has been voted through Semi Final 2 of the Eurovision Song Contest, and will compete for Australia in the Grand Final on Sunday 15 May on SBS and SBS On Demand.

Overnight in Turin, Italy, Sheldon took to the stage to perform his emotive and powerful Eurovision song Not The Same, wowing the crowd in the arena, the worldwide voting audience and jurors from competing countries to be one of the ten artists through to the Grand Final.

Sheldon Riley said:

“I’m absolutely ecstatic. Tonight I just wanted to deliver my best performance and make Australia proud. It’s a huge thrill that people across Europe have appreciated Not the Same, and I’m so happy I get to be on the stage again this weekend. I can’t wait to be part of the Grand Final in front of 200 million people, and see what all the other amazing acts are going to bring to the stage. This is honestly a dream come true for me. I am so thankful for all the support from fans over here and everyone back home.”

Australian Head of Delegation and SBS Commissioning Editor, Emily Griggs, said:

“Australia is through to the Grand Final once again and we couldn’t be prouder of Sheldon. He has truly captured the attention of Europe and has been representing the country with style and one sensational voice. He’s soared to new heights here in Turin with his reimagined performance. It’s a big weekend of Eurovision ahead and I’m sure the whole country will get behind Sheldon this Sunday on SBS and SBS on Demand.”

Australian Creative Director of Eurovision and Director of Blink TV, Paul Clarke, said:

“So great to see Europe loving Sheldon, he so deserves to be in the Grand Final this weekend. Australia is back! We are so excited. We will improve again and be competitive as on Sunday morning!”

Only ten artists from the 18 countries performing in Semi Final 2 proceed to the Grand Final. The ten countries voted through are: Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic, Azerbaijan, Poland, Finland, Estonia, Sweden, Romania and Serbia.

They will join the 10 countries already voted through from Semi Final 1 – Ukraine, Armenia, Greece, Iceland, Lithuania, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal and Switzerland, along with the ‘Big Five’ – Spain, UK, France, Italy and Germany, to compete in the Grand Final for the title of the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 winner.

If you missed Sheldon Riley’s qualifying performance LIVE on SBS and SBS On Demand this morning, tune into the primetime broadcast tomorrow night at 8.30pm on SBS.

The Eurovision Grand Final is broadcast LIVE from 5am AEST Sunday 15 May on SBS. Australians need to tune into this broadcast to cast their vote at the same time as European audiences.

SBS’s primetime Grand Final broadcast is 7.30pm Sunday 15 May on SBS, with backstage interviews and behind the scenes action via our Eurovision hosts, Joel Creasey and Myf Warhurst.

LIVE early morning broadcasts

Grand Final – Sunday 15 May, 5am (AEST) SBS **FEATURING SHELDON RILEY

Primetime evening broadcasts

Semi Final 1 – Friday 13 May, 8.30pm, SBS
Semi Final 2 – Saturday 14 May, 8.30pm, SBS **FEATURING SHELDON RILEY
Grand Final – Sunday 15 May, 7.30pm, SBS **FEATURING SHELDON RILEY

2 Likes

I’m glad he’s through but I still think it’ll bomb. I’m really looking forward to the final though. Really hoping UK can break their bad run this year.

2 Likes

Eurovision 2022: Grand Final Running Order

1. :czech_republic: Czech Republic: We Are Domi – Lights Off
  2. :romania: Romania: WRS – Llámame
  3. :portugal: Portugal: MARO – Saudade, Saudade
  4. :finland: Finland: The Rasmus – Jezebel
  5. :switzerland: Switzerland: Marius Bear – Boys Do Cry
  6. :fr: France: Alvan & Ahez – Fulenn
  7. :norway: Norway: Subwoolfer – Give That Wolf A Banana
  8. :armenia: Armenia: Rosa Linn – Snap
  9. :it: Italy: Mahmood & Blanco – Brividi
  10. :es: Spain: Chanel – SloMo
  11. :netherlands: Netherlands: S10 – De Diepte
  12. :ukraine: Ukraine: Kalush Orchestra – Stefania
  13. :de: Germany: Malik Harris – Rockstars
  14. :lithuania: Lithuania: Monika Liu – Sentimentai
  15. :azerbaijan: Azerbaijan: Nadir Rustamli – Fade To Black
  16. :belgium: Belgium: Jérémie Makiese – Miss You
  17. :greece: Greece: Amanda Georgiadi Tenfjord – Die Together
  18. :iceland: Iceland: Systur – Með Hækkandi Sól
  19. :moldova: Moldova: Zdob şi Zdub & Advahov Brothers – Trenulețul
  20. :sweden: Sweden: Cornelia Jakobs – Hold Me Closer
  21. :australia: Australia: Sheldon Riley – Not The Same
  22. :uk: United Kingdom: Sam Ryder – SPACE MAN
  23. :poland: Poland: Ochman – River
  24. :serbia: Serbia: Konstrakta – In Corpore Sano
  25. :estonia: Estonia: Stefan – Hope
5 Likes

Sweden is still my favourite from the first two semi-finals, although we have some strong acts in the big 5.

2 Likes

Still UK and Sweden for me.

I am hoping Sweden can surprise and pull off a win. At this point praying that anybody but Ukraine wins. It would be a shame to end the contest with such a predictable winner.

2 Likes

SBS’s feed cut out but was restored just in time for Belgium’s performance. Possibly a mistimed ad break?
Their watermark was also present during the actual ad break that followed.

UK should do very well with the jury and hopefully the voting public supports it.

It is definitely my favourite, though the Ukraine political support means we’ll probably get a predictable result.

Hopefully not as the song itself isn’t anything special.

1 Like

For me UK stands out well above the others. Only Sweden comes close.

The Australian song stood out for the wrong reaaons. Great vocal but the song itself missed the mark completely.

1 Like

Will this affect Australia’s scores?

2022 Winners

I’m pretty disappointed for the UK. It seems they would likely have won if not for the Ukraine conflict. Although this can’t be known for sure, as it’s anybody’s guess where the public vote sympathy votes would have gone otherwise. But it seems very possible UK would have won. For me it was by far the standout song, followed by Sweden.

Once again an abysmal public vote for Australia. Abysmal. Australia needs to reconsider how songs are picked. For me our song was awful. Yes it got a reasonable jury vote which is great, but it was out of step with the more upbeat songs that featured in the public vote (apart from Ukraine of course).

I also think it’s unlikely Ukraine will be able to host in 2023 even if the war comes to an end. I wonder if they will offer it to the UK to host, as the second placed song?

As expected, Ukraine with the win, and quite the margin to boot.

1 Like

I messed up with the time difference in the States and assumed everyone was talking about the semi finals :man_facepalming: never mind, I’ll watch the recap on YouTube.

Alright, I’ve had a chance to listen to the top 5 + Australia.

• I think Ukraine’s entry was a strong contender but agree that the current situation was probably what clinched it for them. Without the war, I think it would have been much closer between the top 3.

• The UK’s entry was the best they’ve put forward since 1998, and I think the points reflected that. I hope they can keep the momentum going in 2023.

• Sweden’s entry was great, Cornelia’s sound is reminiscent of Lana del Rey and the song really suited her vocal range.

• Don’t know how Serbia made the top 5. Did everyone get bored towards the end or something?

• Agree that Australia’s entry was lacking. Sheldon’s outfit was well put together (assuming he wore the same outfit he did in the official video) - the head piece vaguely reminded me of late 90s Cher. The song was just too scattered though. I think the real tell is that if people react by saying “it’s growing on me”…it probably won’t cut the mustard for this sort of contest. Yes there are official videos and semi-finals and all of that, but the reality is that people are voting on the final. You have 3 minutes, you don’t have time to grow on people.

Overall it sounded like it was a strong field. I’m sorry to have missed it!

2 Likes

It felt like since Dami Im’s Sound of Silence (which I felt should’ve won, but obviously the European public disagreed) Australia’s position in Eurovision hasn’t been that strong at all. We’ve never even placed in the top 5 since 2016 and our songs are good but didn’t have the killer hit it needed to take on some of the best European numbers. I hope in next year’s Eurovision Australia’s representative will be able to bring on that ‘mega hit’ that either leaves all the other European countries’ numbers for dead or at least be competitive. Would be nice if Australian can clinch a win in its time participating in Eurovision.

2 Likes