Eurovision Song Contest

No we don’t need to destroy Eurovision by adding the USA/Canada into the mix.

1 Like

I agree. It was just a not so serious comment about this whole thing being replicated poorly in America when they could really spare us the effort by not doing it at all. But alas the Americans and Canadians seem to have a bit of FOMO about it.

No way, they should bot be invited. who do US & canada think they are? they aren’t even in Europe.

Maybe they could do Amerivision instead. Involve all the countries of North and South America.

Besides Canada and the US, you would have Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Chile, Peru etc…

8 Likes

That would be cool. That’s what the American Song Contest should have been in the first place.

2 Likes

Far better idea than Eurovision licensing the concept to individual countries.

1 Like

There’s a tower of talent heading to Turin for the Eurovision Song Contest in May! Meet the acts that will be going for glory and hear their songs.

This year, Eurovision has everything from an eco-themed dating show called ‘Salad for Two’ (thanks Latvia!) to an entrant who juggles his music with a pro football career. There’s a whirlwind of a circus song, a folksy, toe-tapping train trip, even some Wild West flavor. As always, there are ballads, dance hits, and songs that defy easy labels, and plenty of powerful emotion and soaring voices.

I really like UK and Sweden this year. Also don’t mind Italy. Those are the three that stand out for me so far. I’d really like to see UK finally do really well.

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, Melbourne designer Alin Le’Kal has created the costume for Sheldon for the semi-final in Turin. Le’Kal describes Sheldon’s outfit, which has 90,000 crystals and pearls, ostrich feathers and is constructed from pure Italian silk with a lot of crinoline, as “angelic and avant-garde”.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen a lot of the performances for this year (I like to see some but also like to keep as many as I can a surprise for Eurovision) but I have seen Sweden’s and it definitely seems like a strong contender. There are winning vibes about that song. I like it.

1 Like

Australia, get behind Sheldon Riley at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest

Tune in to all the action from Italy, 11-15 May on SBS and SBS On Demand

It’s almost Eurovision time, Australia! With Sheldon Riley about to perform Not the Same in front of a worldwide audience of more than 180 million, SBS is a one stop shop for everything you need to get swept up in Eurovision fever.

The 66th Eurovision Song Contest will be broadcast live and in primetime exclusively on SBS and SBS On Demand from 11 to 15 May, with primetime broadcasts on Friday 13 and Saturday 14 May at 8.30pm, and Sunday 15 May at 7.30pm.

Eurovision 2022 kicks off on SBS with Semi Final 1 live at 5am on Wednesday 11, followed by a primetime broadcast on Friday 13th. Sheldon is set to compete against 17 countries in Semi Final 2, which will be broadcast live at 5am on Friday 13. He’ll be up against The Rasmus from Finland who will be opening the show with a bang, fan favourite Swedish singer-songwriter Cornelia Jakobs and one of Sheldon’s favourite competitors, Krystian Ochman from Poland.

SBS’s exclusive coverage will once again be in the capable hands of music buff Myf Warhurst and comedian Joel Creasey who will bring their witty banter to the commentary booth as they guide Australia through the glitz, glamour and madness of the Semi-Finals and spectacular Grand Final direct from PalaOlimpico in Turin, Italy. They will also report backstage with exclusive interviews and gossip with contestants and a behind the scenes look at the contest.

With early morning LIVE broadcasts of Semi Final 1, Semi Final 2 and the Grand Final for immediate results and voting along with Europe, and a weekend of primetime broadcasts for fabulous Euro-themed parties around the country, there are plenty of opportunities to get behind Sheldon and join in the fun of picking favourites from the 40 competing nations, each bringing a taste of their own musical culture.

LIVE early morning broadcasts

Semi Final 1 – Wednesday 11 May, 5am (AEST) SBS
Semi Final 2 – Friday 13 May, 5am (AEST) SBS **FEATURING SHELDON RILEY
Grand Final – Sunday 15 May, 5am (AEST) SBS

Primetime evening broadcasts

Semi Final 1 – Friday 13 May, 8.30pm, SBS
Semi Final 2 – Saturday 14 May, 8.30pm, SBS **FEATURING SHELDON RILEY
Grand Final – Sunday 15 May, 7.30pm, SBS

The Eurovision Song Contest is the world’s biggest live music event and in 2021 it attracted 183 million viewers worldwide and reached more than 1.7 million Australians*.

Australians will be able to vote again this year during the early morning broadcasts and then join in the conversation using the hashtag #SBSEurovision during the interactive evening broadcasts, with tweets and party pictures promoted on screen.

As per the official Eurovision rules, viewers can vote in the Semi Final in which their country is participating, as well as the Grand Final. The viewers’ votes make up 50% of the final result. The other 50% of the vote is decided by a National Jury in each participating country. Australia’s jury will be announced soon.

The jury and Australian public can vote for any country except Australia.

For Australian viewers, this means they will need to tune into the LIVE broadcast of Semi Final 2 on Friday May 13 at 5am (AEST) and the Grand Final on Sunday 15 May at 5am (AEST) by following the voting prompts that appear on screen during the live broadcasts. Details for how to vote will be revealed soon.

Alin Le’Kal, one of the Australia’s leading designers known for his bespoke custom wedding gowns and striking, red-carpet creations, is behind Sheldon’s unforgettable Eurovision performance outfit.

SBS World Movies will celebrate Eurovision with a season of musical movie favourites from around
the globe, and SBS’s favourite foodie and mega Eurovision fan Adam Liaw will take viewers on a culinary adventure with an encore of Destination Flavour Eurovision on SBS Food on May 7.

SBS Radio celebrates the Eurovision Song Contest, bringing audiences exclusive news and Eurovision artist interviews in English and in language. Download the free SBS Radio App available now at the iTunes App Store and Google Play.

Sorry no can do :slight_smile:

I can’t stand the Australian entry this year.

Meanwhile I absolutely love the UK entry by a big margin over the others. Sweden #2 for me. I really hope to see the UK break their hoodoo this year and at least finish Top 5.

I am the opposite, Sheldon’s song has grown on me so much that it’s become my favourite entry we have ever sent. The UK I am very meh on, I can take it or leave it. Coincidentally Sweden is my number 2 this year too and my pick for the win.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in the betting, Ukraine is an unbackable favourite and I can’t see it not winning.

Italy, Sweden and UK round out the top 4 in the betting. I haven’t seen UK in the top 5 betting odds for a long, long time.

I like your enthusiasm for the Australian song, but I personally wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t make the final.

2 Likes

Australia is a safe qualifier for me, even more so after seeing his vocal and staging in the rehearsal. He will be top 3 with the juries in the semifinal IMO. The semifinal 2 qualifier odds back this up with Australia in 3rd place to qualify.

As for Ukraine, I don’t see the juries having a song with that much rap in the top 3/4 which they would need to get to win. The odds are ridiculous having Ukraine at 42% chance to win and heavily influenced by the Russian invasion.

Ukraine’s song is top 10 worthy but it should not win.

1 Like
1 Like

Voting is online and will cost 55c per vote.

It’s really easy. Eurovision’s official voting partner Digame in Germany has created a new online voting platform, exclusively for Australia’s public Eurovision vote. This means there will be no SMS or Televoting in Australia during the live shows. All of Australia’s public votes will be received via the new online system.

The voting portal will be accessed via www.esc.vote, hosted by Digame. Votes will be limited to 20 per person and will cost 55c per vote.

You will be able to select which acts you want to vote for and how many votes per act (up to 20 votes total). How you allocate those votes is up to you: you could allocate 20 votes to one act, divide your votes between multiple acts, or just make one vote for your favourite.

Payment options are Google Pay, Apple Pay or Credit Card. Once payment has been received no more votes can be taken from that user. Full voting terms and conditions will be available on the voting platform.

When to vote

In each Semi-Final, 10 contestants are chosen to qualify for the Grand Final. As per the official Eurovision rules, viewers in all countries taking part in a particular Semi-Final are invited to vote in that semi-final.

Australian viewers are eligible to vote in Semi Final 2 (in which Australia’s Sheldon Riley will perform) as well as The Grand Final. The voting window for Semi Final 2 and the Grand Final opens after the last song has been performed, and ends 15 minutes later.

For Australian viewers, this means you are eligible to vote in the following two Eurovision Song Contest live events:

• LIVE broadcast of Semi Final 2, Friday 13 May, 5am (AEST)
  • LIVE broadcast of Grand Final, Sunday 15 May, 5am (AEST)

and then follow the voting instructions on screen during these live broadcasts (on SBS and at SBS on Demand).

See: Semi Final 1 lineup and performers

See: Semi-Final 2 lineup and performers

Ukraine is now up to 48% chance of winning according to the betting agencies. Italy 11%, UK 10% and Sweden 9%.

Man, I would love to see UK pull off an upset and win this thing.

Once again I don’t understand why SBS choose to play the primetime coverage days delayed on Friday and Saturday night’s. Saturday night has such a low TV audience, it would make sense to air them the same day as the morning coverage on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I will definitely be recording the morning semi finals and be watching the those nights (and the final live on Sunday).

It will likely get the public support but may not be the top pick from the jury. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I’m not a huge fan of it but I think it will do quite well. Definitely with the juries it will get into the final. It is the 3rd favourite in it’s semi-final.

2 Likes