Eurovision Song Contest

Nothing like having the actual Eurovision but SBS have produced a good special with Joel and Myf with Eurovision 2020: Big Night In!

2 Likes

Just watched the Big Night In and I have to say the standard of songs this year seemed low to me. Lots of melancholy sounding tunes and nothing really appealing at all. Iceland probably deserved the win but in a pretty mediocre field. I read Iceland also won Sweden’s similar show. Russia might have done ok with their novelty song and Montaigne might have done better than I would have expected due to the lack of competition. Some of them were shockers.

1 Like

It was better than I thought it would be - the format they went with (airing the top 20 songs in full and snippets of the other 20) was ideal and the messages from many of this year’s entrants was a nice touch

2 Likes

I think it’s a wise decision for Rottendam to have the second chance to host the event.
3 Likes

Eurovision The Movie

2 Likes

That looks awful, like most of Will’s movies. He is like Adam Sandler to me. I just don’t find them funny.

6 Likes

Loved Icelands entry, i think it would have been a Eurovision classic if the show went ahead. hopefully Iceland is invited as an interval act or something next year.

All of this year’s entrants are invited back next year.

but dont they have to perform a different song?

With a different song though.

Yes but they can’t also be the interval act in the same show. That would be unfair.

Next year’s Eurovision Song Contest will be held on 18, 20 and 22 May.
And the organisers have allowed prerecorded backing vocals for the first time.

That article has been updated to say that ABC ME has NOT quit Junior Eurovision, and it was SBS which decided not to send a contestant to this year’s competition in Warsaw.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

3 Likes

I’m surprised that they didn’t go with that approach this year but I guess it was too last minute and complicated to organise. At least now they have the chance to consider all options. I would hope by then at a minimum they can at least take a similar approach to sporting events like the US Open. Test, put the artists in a bubble and all perform on the one stage. At least then it is a level playing field.

I’m a little worried the songs won’t be as great this year though with a lot of countries selecting the same artists that were selected last year rather than selecting the song.

1 Like