Eurovision Song Contest

I agree. It is unconfirmed at the moment but a lot of news outlets and Twitter feeds are running with it.

Hopefully it’s proven incorrect.

I agree but the problem is that a lot of artists from a lot of countries just won’t even be able to travel to perform even if there is no crowd. Montaigne probably won’t be able to leave Aus then.

I hope it doesn’t just get outright cancelled. There are two other options that they could go with. Either postpone it to later in the year or they could have each artist perform in a studio in their own country. Even if they are pre-recorded for fairness (given some countries may or may not be in lockdown they might need to record in advance). I think it would be good to still do somewhat thisway as the world needs some unity and this will do it. They could still have live voting and could even cross to each artist for a quick chat via satellite.

1 Like

All the other cancellations haven’t phased me, but now I feel violated by covid19

5 Likes

Yep this has devastated me.

I feel for Montaigne and all the artists. :frowning:

4 Likes

This cancellation has definitely hit me the most.

1 Like

At least Europe won’t have to put up with our terrible song! :grinning: EPL cancellation was miles worse for me even though I have listened on radio or watched on tv most of the 64 years of Eurovision and it’s one of the highlights of my year.

Montaigne, who was supposed to represent Australia in this year’s Eurovision Song Contest, has reacted to the event’s cancellation with a long post on Instagram this afternoon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B95bWznjiZP/

Eurovision 2020 has been cancelled. I’ve had my cry. I spent a couple of hours paralysed in bed, despondently scrolling through the many lovely tweet mentions from people expressing love and support. I imagine I’ll probably have a lot more cries in the next little while, for me and for the wonderful team who were working with me to make our vision come to life.

But the truth is that cancelling #Eurovision this year is the most responsible and ethical decision that the EBU could have made. A decision they have to make. It is best that we all practice the measures that will stop COVID-19’s ravaging effects from going on any longer than they could. The team at Eurovision are still working through plans, as is SBS, so we will have more info to share soon.

Thank you to @paulclarketv and everyone at @blinktvco and @sbs for making the process of devising a campaign for a Eurovision performance so easy and fun, for really listening to me and understanding who I am and wanting to figure out how to combine that with Eurovision.

Thanks to Marko Panzic and Sasha Mutch who were an integral part of the second phase of staging, I wish we could have presented our ideas.

Thank you to @WonderlickEntertainment who have always been there for me in more ways than one.

Thank you to @SonyMusicAustralia and especially to @ollylbr for helping me through every overwhelming public moment and supporting me through everything.

Thank you to my family, friends, and partner who have cradled me in the twinkle of their eyes.

A tip of the hat to Eurovision fans who are so passionate, I know this is just as much of a loss for you as it is for me.

And a final tip of the hat to the other Eurovision contestants this year who were working their butts off to make their dream come true. I’m sorry it turned out like this.

I’m gonna try figure out how to make the best of this situation creatively, see if there’s something I can present to you, the fans, that will feel satisfying, or will feel anything like closure, or at least coping. I’ve got a lot of fucking time on my hands so. Let’s get to work.

1 Like

It’s not a terrible song at all. The majority of Europeans had it in their top 10 and her video just passed 1 million views on Eurovisions YouTube channel. The song also has almost 1 million streams on Spotify.

Who know the EBU might change the rules and allow the same songs to go to Eurovision if the artist is chosen/decides to go.

I feel so bad for her.

1 Like

It’s an extraordinary circumstance. I don’t see why all the songs can’t just be performed in 2021.

2 Likes

It’s the rules. It’s just that this is the first time they’ve been enacted because it’s the first time the competition has been cancelled - that IS the extraordinary circumstance the rule was created for.

I guess they think that they can just spin more money out of it next year if they run another competition from scratch.

By the time 2021 rolls around the songs are not new anymore so it wouldn’t be very exciting to watch. Eurovision are saying that they are planning on airing something on the night that the final would have occurred that gives the songs a bit of a chance to shine. Maybe a clip show of each track or maybe even those who can do it give them the opportunity to record a performance in the studio in their own country to air on the night. It might even be fun to have it a little interactive and allow viewers to vote and announce the top 10 or something just for fun (obviously not ranking them though).

I’ve heard some interesting ideas for 2021 though. We might still put Montaigne through with a new song but another idea I read was that they could still do Australia Decides and artists can compete, but Montaigne would have to feature in each of the performances.

2 Likes

Would be a good idea but with productions shutting down everywhere around the world, they probably can’t do performances. Maybe they will air the film clips that the artists recorded for their songs or their performances ib=n shows in their own countries like Montaigne did with Australia Decides.

Yeah that’s why it would only be those that can. If they can’t instead show the national performance or video clip etc.

I agree a big part of Eurovision is the freshness of the songs. Year old songs won’t work in this case. It would be nice if they could do something to acknowledge them though I doubt they’ll do anything like voting.

I don’t think that would be a problem because 90% of the audience don’t listen to the songs before the Grand Final anyway. It’s only the Eurovision die hards who would be aware of the songs.

Some of the songs do get played on radio in Europe though in the lead up. Some quite heavily.

1 Like