DRM - Is this the future of Regional and Remote Broadcasting?

Unfortunately a lot of DRM information follows a similar pattern.

Yes, that info does seem to come around often, but the release I received on this one was dated 18th July, but this time they confirmed the purchase of the transmitters. It will be interesting to see if that is indeed the case. Cheers.

3 Likes

The info came from a media release straight from BAI.

2 Likes

Nothing mentioned on BAI Media Release page on their website

1 Like

I also looked at: https://www.baicommunications.com/mediarelease

I don’t see any media release either.

DRM capable SW (AM) transmitters were installed & both sites had brief DRM test transmissions from both of those sites many many years ago if memory serves me correctly.

@Brad1 can you post a link or pic of the media release?

Here’s a submission link from Alan Hughes to fed gov from 2017
https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=0f6aa82f-3e89-44e0-b216-8d565ae59ada&subId=510726

2 Likes

Hard to imagine Aunty funding DRM when they wouldn’t stump up the $$$ to get on the new Gold Coast DAB+ recently.

2 Likes

That’s a whole different kettle of fish, ABC don’t really see any future in DAB+, especially regionally, that’s why they didn’t want to spend money on it for the GC.

I think after the very successful trials of DRM on both AM & FM bands in Victoria, they’ll start to push & if they can get approval, will start to roll out DRM regionally.

After those successful DRM tests by BAI/ABC/SBS, I know a couple of the regional commercial broadcasters are now looking to do their own DRM trials & will probably push down that road instead of DAB+ too.

3 Likes

Yes DRM is a better fit where AM is the main regional coverage - another view of no Gold Coast DAB+ for Aunty is they may think enough $$$ are already being spent on BAI and that their coin goes further on the Net. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Considering the DRM+ signal fits within the allocated bandwidth of an existing allocation along with using the same emission designator which includes data (which is what DRM is and allows for RDS etc), is separate licencing approval needed considering none of the technical standards change?

One would expect it would just be a change to the licence conditions such as power.

1 Like

For those that are interested in listening to the quality of DRM, I have uploaded some DRM audio, direct from the receiver that includes some Short Wave Broadcasters, Radio National DRM and when they upped the bit rate and started running Double J and sometimes JJJ in full stereo. Here is the link to my Soundcloud page that has the audio received from stations broadcasting DRM. See what you think.

2 Likes

Here is another one, but once you click on the soundcloud link, go to my stream, and there you will see audio recorded from several Shortwave DRM stations along with Radio National from Wangaratta. Cheers. Brad

4 Likes

ABC’s trial of new digital radio technology comes under criticism

Some excerpts.

The ABC’s trial of new digital radio technology in regional parts of Australia has been criticised because of its very low uptake globally and its inability to be used in most vehicles. The public broadcaster has been trialling DRM (digital radio mondiale) technology across the country for nearly two years and recently revealed its progress to a range of radio executives across the industry. The findings have not been made public and the ABC has also failed to disclose how much the two-year trial will cost taxpayers, nor the exact locations where the trial has taken place.

Commercial Radio and Audio chief executive officer Ford Ennals said there had been minimal interest in DRM technology in Australia and this was the case overseas too, where there had been little uptake. “There is little appetite among commercial broadcasters to explore DRM as the technology hasn’t achieved much international traction,” Mr Ennals said. “There are few DRM receivers on the market and enormous challenges remain in convincing vehicle manufacturers to include the chips alongside AM, FM and DAB+. Around 55 car brands support DAB+, which means 80 per cent of all new cars sold in Australia have DAB+ radio as a standard feature.”

Despite the criticisms of the ABC’s trial, a spokesman for the national broadcaster said it was making good progress. “The ABC is constantly assessing the best ways to distribute its content, particularly around what new technologies may offer Australian audiences in the future,” he said. “Any proposed change to the mix of radio distribution in Australia would be one for the whole industry to consider and ultimately for the Australian government to decide.”

2 Likes

This is why I don’t buy The Oz. I am not impressed at the daily examples of ABC bias within editorial, however it is usually far less objectionable than the vendetta The Oz has against the ABC.

The only criticism of the DRM trial is from the commercial radio lobby of which some members are keen to flog DAB+ long after it is mummified.

CRA are still thinking like it’s an era of sealed sets with no other choices available.

For the new CRA CEO to continue such dated ideas, tells me some members within CRA have the outdated mindset and are pushing CRA to canvas this opinion as if it is the view of the entire industry (remembering national and community broadcasting means naught to them).

6 Likes

Just popped on here to post this article, but as with Wordle, @TV.Cynic has beaten me again.

(I don’t subscribe to The Oz btw; I just skim it using my library card from the university).

2 Likes

I have to agree with Ford, DRM has low uptake across the world and in a relatively small market such as Australia, it will be nearly impossible to get car manufacturers to install it in New vehicles, alongside FM, AM and DAB+. To me, DRM is a white elephant.

Wouldn’t it have been better for the ABC to spend it’s money to work with the commercial broadcasters in Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong, Sunshine Coast to roll out DAB+ in those markets to enable more regional listeners to get a better radio service, similar to their Metro counterparts?

5 Likes

I tend to agree. I just can’t see DRM getting legs. I agree the ABC should be working with the commercials to get DAB up and running in the larger regional centres like GC and Newcastle. The fact that the vast majority of new cars have DAB means that this is what should be pushed now, for better or worse. I think there’s close to zero chance car manufacturers will be open to including anything else at this stage.

2 Likes

The commercial lobby is concerned DRM will derail their DAB+

If the ABC committed to DRM for coverage across Australia’s entirety, including domestic HF, manufacturers would easily add both.

Coming from the ABC, it is of increased influence.

CRA is worried about losing their near monopoly on digital spectrum and high barrier to entry. Their dinosaur protectionist mentality will be their downfall.

4 Likes

I Really Want for Regional and Rural Australia, Outside the Gold Coast that is. Here’s the Five Year Plan: https://www.acma.gov.au/publications/2022-09/plan/five-year-spectrum-outlook-2022-27

2 Likes

You make some good points, particularly around CRA and their resistance to digital radio in general. But even despite the lack of effort and promotion in the capitals, DAB has a significant audience. With some promotion it would be even more successful. Listening to Smooth Brisbane on DAB (only) in a cafe right now.

I disagree on ABC having a big audience in regional areas. Look at recent surveys, ABC Local was 5% in Townsville and Warnambool in recent surveys. About 9% in Rockhampton. These figures are comparable or lower than metro surveys.

I also don’t think this audience is going to rush out and buy new receivers or hunt down DRM in cars, which will take a decade or more to come, if ever. A big chunk of ABC Local, RN and Newsradio services are already on high powered FM in regional areas (eg. Wide Bay, Mackay etc.) so what’s the incentive to switch for the audience (or ABC) anyway?

2 Likes