Driving & Traffic

Next thing you know QLD will have annual roadworthy checks on cars, and there’ll be a media beat up about that too!

1 Like

Isn’t NSW the only state that has annual roadworthy checks on older cars? The Northern Territory is the only other Australian jurisdiction which requires annual roadworthiness checks on cars over 5 years old.

The main difference is that all cars in Queensland and Victoria, and cars over 6 years old in the ACT, which are being sold with registration must have a roadworthy certificate (i.e. a pink slip) supplied before selling.

1 Like

Win news border north- east did a vox pops on this last night. Got one outraged grumpy old bastard rabbiting on about political correctness gone mad etc and otherwise a bunch of confused looks.

Exactly how backward are Queenslanders?

What are they covering a non-news story from Queensland for??

Lazy journo sucked in by fruit loops on social media is all I can think of.

Another arrogant arsehole who thinks they’re a good enough driver to text while they’re cruising along at 60. I cannot believe the number of people who think it’s OK.

If I was in charge of Transport for NSW, I would overhaul the licencing system so that driver licences are not just handed back to recidivists because they need it for work.

What I’d do with regards to mobile phones:

• Increase the ‘use mobile phone while driving’ offence to the equivalent of mid-range drink driving offence. To ensure that innocent motorists are not pinged with their hand against their ear or whatever, compelling evidence will be required to prosecute the offence (video footage, etc.).
  • Introduce more SUV patrol cars to allow police to be able to inspect more drivers (police sedans don’t offer a good view), enforce the window tinting minimum light transmission regulation properly (this is how many people get away with texting) and introduce those newly introduced camera devices which catch people on their phones. Also, more of those police using telephoto lenses to catch drivers using their phones.

For licencing:

• Immediately disqualify drivers for 2 years if they have been suspended more than once within a period of 5 years. No sob stories about needing the driving licence to be able to work.
  • If a driver has been disqualified more than twice in 10 years (not including the disqualification period), they will be permanently disqualified from holding a driver’s licence in NSW.
  • If drivers are caught driving while suspended, they are disqualified immediately for 5 years.
  • If drivers are caught driving while disqualified, they will be jailed for two months. Repeat offenders will be jailed for twelve months, five years, and so on.
  • Particularly reckless driving offences (street racing, dangerous driving determined at a magistrate’s discretion, 70+ km/h over the speed limit without extenuating circumstances) will attract immediate licence disqualification for first time offenders.
4 Likes

They should also look at ways of cutting the offender off from the Australian mobile phone network eg. lock their mobile phone for 3 months etc. That might make people take more notice.

5 Likes

The Daily Telegraph started a campaign calling for people using mobile phone while driving to be disqualified immediately, which gained the support of NSW Police Commissioner.
I can’t believe someone who had his licence suspended multiple times could still drive and causing danger to other people. Surely after the unfortunate death of Jessica Falkholt and her family, penalties need to be increased as deterrence? For example, the minimum penalty for dangerous driving causing death should be 15-20 years in jail.

2 Likes

P-turn will be introduced to the intersection of Hoddle and Johnston Streets in Collingwood from next Monday, April 16. It will be the second intersection in Melbourne to have the unusual turn rule after Cranbourne Road in Frankston. In the modified intersection, drivers wanting to turn right from Hoddle street into Johnston Street will now head straight through the intersection and make a u-turn at new turning lanes past Johnston Street. They’ll then be able to turn left into Johnston Street.
I am not sure if long trucks can do P-turns as easily as cars, vans and motorcycles. They will have to use other roads to reach Johnston Street.

1 Like

One thing that irks me is the constant creeping up of car sizes over the years.

For example - the new VW Polo. The new model is about as big as a current Volkswagen Golf - about 2cm narrower and 20cm shorter, as opposed to the 2009-2017 Polo which is 10cm narrower and 30cm shorter.

The difference now is so small that there doesn’t seem to be any differentiation between the sizes, even though the Polo is still classed as a ‘supermini’ and the Golf is a ‘compact’ car.

Another example - the Toyota Camry is meant to be a ‘mid-sized’ car, yet recent generations have become as big as a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon which are definitely full-sized cars.

I believe this is done in the USA quite a bit - it’s known as a Michigan Left (which would be flipped due to our right hand drive roads). Seems to make quite a bit of sense if set up on wide roads where U-turns can be easily performed safely.

I just think it’s stupid for families who never leave the city to have fucking 4wd cars or SUVs. Probably more common in Queensland. You don’t need that space and your cars are polluting menaces to drive around.

2 Likes

It’s called a P-turn but the signs state U turn? :thinking:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/30743942_10211603654071461_3597182238799691776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=7e55a077dc670883302b363784f5ae46&oe=5B5ECD1F

The impression that I get is that many families with proper four wheel drives (Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, etc) will just buy them because the dad wants to occasionally go four-wheel driving every couple of weeks on the weekend.

There are also many dads who are tradies, which explains the huge rise in utes now being as well equipped as cars, which are very suitable for being an everyday car - other than the lack of dedicated, covered cargo space.

A friend of mine who owns a gas guzzling (13L/100km) Nissan Patrol for the express purpose of 4WDing and occasional towing says that while he’d love to own a regular car that gets 5 litres per 100km (he does ~150km a day of country freeway driving on the Hume), it just doesn’t stack up because a used modern fuel efficient car costs around $10,000, while he’d only stand to save around about $1000 per year with the extra rego and maintenance on the newer car, and being able to tow/4WD is worth the extra cost to him.

And with the wimpier SUVs which are essentially cars on stilts (Mazda CX-9, Toyota Kluger), I’m of the opinion that if you do want your kids to be safe, why not just buy a people mover like a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Tarago which is obviously better at the task while having huge advantages including much more space and easier manoeuverability and visibility?

This is my car - a Suzuki Jimny. It’s small, fuel efficient and very capable. Admittedly, I’ve only ever taken it 4WDing once since I’ve owned it…

This was my car before that

and then this happened - the Hyundai driver pulled out and didn’t see me.

I’m still sad about losing my red car. I still like my Jimny, but I really miss my Daihatsu - it’s like losing a partner you were deeply in love with. I did get an extra $2000 on top of what it was actually worth though from the insurance payout, so that was nice.

3 Likes

P Turn refers to the whole maneuver rather than just turning around onto the other side of the carriageway.

Part of me feels the the size creep in cars like the Camry relates to the fact that they’re still trying to get that piece of the market (now somewhat of a niche) that would go for a full size sedan if the option was available (no more Aurion to choose from now).

I understand why 7 seater SUVs exist as a market category, as minivans mainly declined due to negative stereotyping (The soccer mom trope) even though the new Odyssey actually looks really good and not like the minivans of old. 5 Seater SUVs though with no 4WD capability… I swear people only like them because of the high up driving position. The car industry goes through fads every decade or so though, so I’m sure in time something will happen and they’ll lose their popularity.

I’ll admit I’m somewhat biased as an owner of a full size sedan (Chrysler 300C), albeit I have a diesel model that gets 8L/100km so it’s actually more fuel efficient than my old Mazda3 despite been enormous in comparison.

I totally agree about car sizes creeping up… totally explains why there’s no more Falcodores for sale since the “mid size” cars like Camry and Mazda6 are now about the same size that Falcodores were in their 90s heyday when they were top sellers.

SUVs are also a big part of the problem with the demise of the Falcodores. I think some people buy them because:

A. They think they’re going to be able to see over everyone else. Not true when everyone else is buying the same style of car

B. They think they are safer than passenger cars - again not true.

I also think SUVs contribute to road rage. It can be quite frightening when you’re being tailgated by a 4WD (I know as I drive a small Ford Focus). Some of them drive dangerously since they think they’re safe.

@mubd I know exactly how you feel… I usually have a good cry whenever I’ve sold my car as it feels like I’ve lost a part of me.

Very random observation.

I have seen a lot of new car registrations in NSW lately with digital TV/media acronyms. Some that I’ve seen are DTV. DVB, DVD, DVR, DVT.

1 Like

Is it compulsory in other states to give way to busses when they are pulling out from a bus stop? I get annoyed when I’m driving,do the right thing and allow a bus to pull out in front and the car behind nearly runs up the back of me :angry:Sometimes I’ve noticed the bus driver giving me a wave if I’ve allowed them to merge in front of me ,they appreciate courteous motorists who do the right thing

1 Like

Sure is.

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/repealed_reg/arr210/s77.html

1 Like

Yes they have it on the backs of buses here in Brisbane.

If the car runs up the back of you, they are responsible. You were abiding by the law and the driver behind you wasn’t paying attention.

4 Likes