Driving & Traffic

EDITED

2 Likes
2 Likes

why are they pandering to the idiots? They have no signs anywhere else in the country. You speed you pay.

2 Likes

Because allegedly there is votes in it and probably more importantly from a political standpoint, it shuts down a strand of the opposition’s election manifesto.

The rise in revenue suggests that a major element of NSW’s road safety program isn’t working and people are not changing their behavour when it comes to speeding. The signs mean that the fines are simply a tax on stupid people.

2 Likes

They do in Queensland and the NT from my experience.

3 Likes

They do in Queensland “generally”. Eg. They post signage saying speed cameras may operate ‘in this area’, usually on motorways. However they definitely have them in other areas with no warning signs.

1 Like

I thought NSW was the only state in Australia that warned motorists of mobile speed cameras? Yes, all states warn about permanent ones, but I wasn’t aware of any others warning mobile ones.

1 Like

Strangely enough, not in Tasmania. You get this sign only. They’re placed in various spots on the Brooker, Midland and Bass Highways - some near the permanent cameras, others not.

1 Like

I don’t think the advance warning signs are necessary, but I do like the visible signage at the actual point of the camera. I also believe that cameras should only be placed within a few hundred metres of a speed limit sign (be it pre-existing or placed there temporarily) as it’s not always clear what the speed limit is in some areas especially if you are unfamiliar with that area.

Another solution that would work in my mind is having a sign placed 100 or so metres after the camera with “your speed has been checked”- if you know you’re speeding that might serve as a warning that you can expect a fine to come, and that they change their behaviour going forward like if they had been pulled over.

3 Likes

Interesting. In SA they have very similar signs, but it is just before a permanent camera. To be honest I just don’t know why people need to be warned for a speeding fine. So, you can slow down for 2 minutes and then speed back up again? If you are doing the wrong thing and doing a speed deemed unsafe for the area you are in its your problem.

2 Likes

Australia’s speed limits are comparatively low (and no, I’m not comparing to the unrestricted sections of Germany’s autobahn), so it doesn’t appear to really be just about safety.

If governments actually put speed cameras at high-risk locations and want people to slow down there, then clear signage will achieve that.

Anything else rightly raises suspicion of revenue raising.

2 Likes

I thought they already did that?

I’m surprised that the speed cameras aren’t smaller and use AI by now. I imagine you could just plop cameras on top of traffic lights. The tech seems stuck in the past.

1 Like

The new cameras being trialed in Qld in school zones are pretty small apparently, and are mounted in the sign itself and solar-powered.

1 Like

I mean clearly signpost that there’s a camera there.

1 Like

Gut warning motorists of “unfairly positioned” camera on this afternoon’s news

1 Like
1 Like

Having just spent a few days in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, I agree with your comments re Gympie Rd, it is as slow as a wet week through Apsley and Carseldine.

The Sunshine “Motorway” was the worst, particularly the stretch from Bruce Hwy/Sippy Downs to Mooloolaba, it is one lane each way and the merging of 2-3 lanes to 1 creates gridlock.

The northern section of it from Mudjimba to Peregian Springs is also one lane each way but also has roundabouts! This is not a motorway.

3 Likes

I agree with Brianc68 and Radiohead regarding Sunshine Motorway. With more tourists expected to visit Sunshine Coast before the 2032 Brisbane Olympics, now is the time to expand the motorway to cater for growing traffic. Planning is underway to duplicate the section between Bruce Hwy at Sippy Downs and Mooloolaba including the reconstruction of the Mooloolaba interchange.

I reckon Sunshine Motorway needs to extend from Sippy Downs to the junction of Gympie Arterial/Gateway Motorway at Bald Hills. It will not only provide a parallel road to Bruce Hwy, but also an important escape route during natural disasters like floods and bushfires.

2 Likes

A rail line is desperately needed but the likes of useless Bailey and Anastasia, nothing will get done here.

A few locals believe when the campaign to get the tolls removed from the motorway, gov.corp has very much ignored the coast since when that happened.

2 Likes

This would be an interesting road trip, a “shortcut” from QLD to WA or vice versa. Will make it more accessible now that it’s being sealed.

3 Likes