Driving & Traffic

1 Like

1 Like

The roads around Chermside and Gympie Rd in particular is a joke. I avoid it like the plague at all times. Actually in general I hate driving around the northside of Brisbane - it’s death by a million traffic lights. Southside flows better generally.

1 Like

I’m still looking to purchase another car soon,sick of public transport,I’m going to look at a 2016 Mazda 2 later this week.A small car that shouldn’t use too much fuel or cost too much to fill up

2 Likes

Be careful of spending too much on a used car at the moment. Prices are sky high. In some cases you end up paying way over value for something with a lot of km’s on the clock when something basic and brand new like an MG3 or Kia Rio might only be a few grand more. Also buying a 7 year old car will undoubtedly mean you’ll need to replace it sooner than buying something new or newer. I generally buy new and hold for 10 or more years.

2 Likes

This one only has 48000 kms on it .If I decide I don’t want to buy it I’ll keep looking .Yes used cars are more expensive now

2 Likes

I’ve just found a 3 year old Hyundai i30 on Carsales,might have a look at that one also next week

2 Likes

Speaking of Carsales, it today launched a new podcast with the latest car news and views.

2 Likes

I saw the Mazda 2 that I was interested in the other day and took it for a test drive,it’s at a dealership on the Gold Coast and if I buy this car this will be the 2nd car I’ve bought from them.I bought my 2009 Toyota Yaris from there in 2016.Still deciding if I still want it, though a 2016 car with only 48000 kms means it’s only travelled about 8000 per year.The Hyundai i30 I was also interested in is a 2019 one and it’s travelled 60000 in 3 years,don’t know to go with a newer vehicle with more kms or an older one with less kms

1 Like

It’s always a bit of a gamble. My father (who was an auto mechanic) usually favoured newer cars that had run up the kms a little more quickly vs an older car with few kms. Although within reason of course. 60k isn’t really too bad for a 3yo car. The thing though with used cars there’s always a risk. You really don’t know how it’s been driven for those 60k. It could have been absolutely flogged. There’s also a big difference between a Mazda 2 and an i30 in terms of fuel economy and drivability. They are a different class of car altogether.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice,:+1:

2 Likes
1 Like

The sales guy said the Mazda 2 would be a better buy than an i30 because it’s a Mazda and it will always be worth more if I sell or trade it in the future. Then again if he sells me this Mazda he gets a commission.He’s also the same guy who sold me my Toyota Yaris 6 years ago

1 Like

No worries. Just for comparison about the cheapest brand new car you can buy at the moment is the MG3 at $18,990 driveaway with a 7 year warranty. Not sure what they’re asking for the second hand Mazda 2 or i30 but it’s worth considering this option.

2 Likes

My sister had a MG 3 as a loan car while her car was being repaired not long ago.She didn’t like it because it had windscreen wipers and indicators back to front she said it felt ‘cheap’ .They’re manufactured in China so that’s why the controls windscreen wipers and indicators are in the wrong place that would drive me nuts.Most used Mazda 2’s and Hyundai i30 these days are selling for about $18000-$20000

1 Like

I had a European built Ford Focus with the indicators on the wrong side and I found I was totally used to it within about a week :smiley: Another cheaper new car for around the 20k mark is the Suzuki Baleno or Swift. I just think 20k is a lot for a 3 - 6yo i30 or Mazda 2

Also the base Kia Rio is 21 - 22k driveaway and that’s a very good little car with a 7 year warranty from new. They drive every bit as good as a Mazda 2 or better IMO.

2 Likes

On the latest episode of The Grand Tour, they were especially careful not to speed in Finland where some speeding ticket fines are linked to income. Police can even access the taxable income of the offender.

Here’s a report of some of the results.

Finnish businessman Reima Kuisla was fined 54,000 euro ($62,000) for driving 22km/h over the 50km/h speed limit

7 Likes

I’ve bought the Mazda 2 I saw last week, I pick it up tomorrow.it will be great to not have to travel on public transport anymore.A New Mazda 2 is about $27000,I would rather stick with a well known car manufacturer that has been around a long time,ie;Toyota,Mitsubishi or Mazda. I also need another car if in the future if I get a part time job (I’m not going to work full time anymore) or if I wish to work as an Uber driver or deliver meals for Uber Eats ,Door Dash etc.

3 Likes