Drag Race Down Under

2 Likes

It will premiere on TVNZ OnDemand at 6.30pm NZ time, then on TVNZ 2 at 8.30pm.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, Stan held a red carpet premiere in Sydney this evening.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for 9 to launch one under their own 9 Podcasts umbrella?

Yeah, but hit were probably offering money.

1 Like

It would also diversify the media that its promoted on.

They seem to use podcast ads quite a bit in the regionals. So I imagine that May have been more appealing than promoting on 3AW!

First episode has been released:

1 Like

I quite enjoyed it as someone who isn’t overly into the other versions.

One thing I did notice is a glow filter on Ru’s shots as well as the confessionals with the talent on an angle talking to off camera which I found a bit jarring.
Good job overall though!

Why didn’t ru do drag in the first episode?

Speculation is that Ru’s wigs, make-up and costumes were delayed in arriving, potentially due to customs @turdall.

1 Like

Thanks for the information

He said on the show his makeup didn’t make it.

However how ridic she couldn’t get replacements.

1 Like

I wasn’t really feeling this version in the first episode. Having just watched the latest US season it just felt a lot more like a budget version to me. The queen’s as a whole just didn’t stand out and were a bit average too. Karen from Finance was definitely the clear standout. Maybe it will get better as it goes along.

It’s not speculation. Ru told us that was the reason on the show. It wasn’t a big deal to me, I liked the way they made best of it by editing her in later with the Rupaul in drag watching on.

3 Likes

Agree the production of this was not great. The weird hue filters on the judges and the queens not always speaking direct to the cameras was odd. The runway looks very small and budget. Rhys was trying a little too hard too.

The Queens for me were the only stands outs so far. Glad with the first result. Let’s hope it improves as it goes on.

1 Like

I found it really engaging. It was more old-school drag race and I think the queens were the stars. I actually liked that it wasn’t over produced and stuck to the mini / maxi challenge formula - and someone went on the first episode. Not on the fourth like in season 13

It’s the middle of a pandemic, so things that sound like they’d work in theory, may not in reality.

I also imagine they were all living in a bubble? Which could have made a trip to the shops for some new make up problematic.

RuPaul wouldn’t need to make a trip to the shops for make up. She’s worth millions. As is the show. Come now.

1 Like

Lol, I wasn’t suggesting Ru pop down to the make up aisle of the local Countdown.

But I think we can start with the premise that Ru didn’t want to be a boy on the panel. It’s inconsistent with the brand - particularly launching a new spin off. And also, would be well aware of the feedback from season 12.

I think the complexities of covid bubbles, filming likely starting the day after covid, and not finding out the make up is missing means they had to come up with something quick.

And hey - we’re talking about it. So drives chatter.

It makes the down under season remarkable in the world.

Mmm k. I still just think it’s a bit naff that they couldn’t have fixed the issue. But yes, it was good they added her in later on.

You could tell the budget was certainly low. I hated how they edited laughs over all of the runways, it just felt so fake.

3 Likes

The stage was very small and I did hate how for the confessionals they didn’t look into the camera like other versions. Why change it? It made it a bit like a parody. As well as that the colour grading of the confessionals was really washed out as well

3 Likes