Disney+

It’s been announced that Disney+ will launch in Australia on November 19th (a week after the US launch) - it’ll be priced at $8.99 per month & $89.99 for a 12 month subscription

5 Likes

Further to this, the Disney Plus app will widely available.

2 Likes

Aus/NZ promo

A countdown clock has been set up on their website.

5 Likes

There is a chance disney on Stan will end on by 18th november then

Disney and Stan need to get the word out between now and November if thats the case

It would be good of they make Hulu avaiable in Australia on 19th nov as well and offer that disney+/Hulu buddle deal as well

5 Likes

I don’t see Hulu launching in AUS. As a Hulu subscriber already the rights for next day streaming would be far too difficult IMO.

Not to mention all the third party content that launches… for Hulu originals it would perhaps make sense for Disney to partner and maybe bundle that content with Stan ie - handmaids tale, runaways, castle rock… some of that content is already on Stan…

2 Likes

So much for Stan

1 Like

I mean it’s not as though this hasn’t been well telegraphed for a while though.

3 Likes

For sure, I’m just surprised by both the short time frame and sudden announcement for here

2 Likes

So will Stan announce anything before then if something is to announce , or do we assume no partnerships, nothing happening?

I assume nothing is happening. I don’t think the impact is all that great to be honest. Still lots of content on Stan that isn’t Disney. To be honest I’ve not even watched that much Disney content on Stan.

My prediction is within two to three years EVERY Hollywood studio will have their own streaming services, and Netflix will be all Netflix Originals and little else.

2 Likes

Yes. NBCUniversal is planning their own streaming service.

2 Likes

it will go the same way of music. when music stores started everyone got on the bandwagon and the fragmentation was insane. than alot of the services went tits up and it consoldated into a a few big players with a ton of content.

I’ll be buying disney+ - but thats because i have a 4 and and an 8 year old. but i won’t be buying much more. hell i stopped my subscription to the WWE network a while ago thanks to not having enough time to watch (and thats a big thing - i’ve flown interstate and to tokyo multiple times to go to pro-wrestling)

Launching a week after the US I hope we aren’t a week behind all the original shows - won’t solve piracy issues. Maybe they’ll launch with 2 episodes available in Aus.

I saw somewhere about CNN’s exit from the same Facebook deal the networks have at the moment … it was great for a short time, then they realised that they could make more money keeping it in house.

Streaming is the same, the studios saw Netflix and the like with the infrastructure to get their content out there … and now with technology “so much” cheaper and readily available, everyone’s bringing it back in house.

I think though, the market will fracture again when people start having to fork out $100 a month to various platforms… maybe a per show pass is the way to go?

1 Like

Bang on. It’s not sustainable in the long term to have such a saturated market. Netflix will go bust long before their current model (creator and distributor) becomes viable again in 5-10 years

1 Like

Still to come will be apple+, NBCUniversal, HBO max and Warner Bros. There’s going to be too many streaming services and confuse the public as to where to access.

As for Hulu here in Aus… perhaps Stan can do a deal where Hulu originals air on Stan maybe some sort of Hulu on Stan branding or the like given the way Hulu is structured in the US

1 Like

That won’t happen. Hollywood has too much power and want to get ALL the profits of their movies on their on demand services rather than licence them to someone else. The studios are all in the business of making money first, entertaining the public second.

Coles and Woolworths partnering?

At this stage the contenders are believed to be Foxtel, Stan Telstra, Optus/Fetch TV as well as supermarket retailers Woolworths and Coles who believe that they can deliver a “large audience” for Disney+ via their supermarket customer bases.

“David Richards has been writing about technology for more than 30 years” and apparently has issues spelling the word ‘assets’ :thinking:

1 Like