Disney-Fox

They make more than pictures though.

They’re all moving pictures

Just a random thought I had, the searchlight is an icon of 20th Century Fox intro, but it has been used across a wide range of Fox brands, including Foxtel, Fox branded channels etc.

Who now owns the searchlight trademark? Disney or Fox Corp? Or both?
I can’t find a definitive answer anywhere.

It was a trademark of 20th Century and the film side so I assume it went to Disney. Totally a guess though, New Fox doesn’t appear to use it anywhere except maybe in the Fox News logo and their similar local station logos.

Does all IP under the specific terms “20th Century Fox” et al. now go to Disney? Or are their other legalities involved?

Fox Corporation definitely owns all trademarks that contain Fox, but whether that includes the searchlights isn’t clear. From the Fox Corporation annual report from last year.

Maybe Fox has licenced the distinctive searchlights to Disney, but perhaps other searchlight trademarks don’t matter as many other companies use searchlights and light beams in their trademarks.

1 Like

The deFoxification continues as Disney rebrand their TV studios

2 Likes

Expected… would’ve liked them to have kept “century” in the name, “20th Television” sounds awkward.

2 Likes

Would have been better as Century Pictures and Century Television. Don’t know if there is a copyright issue though.

20th Television is a terrible name.
Would’ve liked “20th Century Television”.

The Verge’s headline is great.

2 Likes

20th Television exists as the syndication division of 20th Century. I take it they’ve closed that division and transferred the name across?

1 Like

Instead of two sister studios where one manages production (20th Century Fox Television) and one manages syndication/distribution (20th Television) they’ve been merged into a single studio 20th Television.

Yeah that would sound better. 20th Century Studios and 20th Century Television has a nice ring.

1 Like

Wasn’t it called 20th Television several decades ago?

I wonder if Disney will eventually plaster the old 20th Century Fox logos with the new 20th Century Studios on its back catalogue, in the same way when MGM bought United Artists in 1981 they plastered the old Transamerica T with a newer UA logo on their films.

I wonder when Fox Studios Australia gets the offical rebrand/rename

And will it be Disney Studios, Marvel Studios or 20th Studios (hah!) or something like that?

Disney will keep the rights to 13 feature films produced by Blue Sky, including the Ice Age franchise.

5 Likes

Interesting to note that there is no plan to absorb the 450 employees into other Disney Studios.

It’s just a complete shutdown

3 Likes

Then why not buy the rights and the films off them and leave them be (Blue Sky Animation), why did they go to the trouble of buying them out and closing?

Blue Sky was part of 20th Century Fox when it was bought by Disney, it couldn’t just leave the animated studio out.

2 Likes