Digital TV Technical Discussion

Kayo should be allowed to put the AFL Grand Final on Kayo Freebies but with the full Seven feed like they used to do for all Seven-produced matches.

Kayo even has the capability to show the local state capital feed of Seven, so that should suffice in ensuring Seven’s advertisers are kept happy.

But I think instead they want to pump up their own 7plus platform so this probably won’t happen.

1 Like

Ahead of the rescan - bit rates averaged over several hours this morning for

7 metro.

7 and 71 2.29
70 HD 4.48
72 7Two 2.31
73 7Mate 2.74
74 7Mate HD 5.21
76 7Flix 2.08
78 Racing 2.34

7QLD regional

7/70/71 HD 7.29
72/73 7Two HD 4.51
74 7mate HD 5.26
76 7Flix 2.45
78 Racing 2.30

(7HD is MPEG 2)

3 Likes

Is the slide on 72 now a simulcast of 7twoHD in RQLD?

1 Like

It isn’t a slide anymore - full video - both 72 and 73 point to the same stream.

2 Likes

Do 7 regional Victoria viewers have to rescan as well, have not seen anything about it on channel 7 here?

1 Like

No one knows for sure. But what we do know is;

• LCN 65 is mentioned in the latest promo
  • Seven upgraded Prime’s multiplexes to match metro earlier in the year
  • 7flix is already MPEG-4 on Prime, so may not need to be reconfigured in preparation for 7Bravo next year - that’s if this reconfiguration is because 7flix is MPEG-2 in metro
3 Likes

Change is to occur from midday AEDT

4 Likes

Wait what have I missed now… What’s happening to 7flix?

1 Like

7 is rearranging and adjusting its channel lineup ahead of adding 7Bravo next year. That includes switching 7Flix from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4.

3 Likes

Expectations for today? I seems that all the (metro) promotion of the retune has gone into 7Flix. So it is obvious that it will be changing to MPEG4 to join 7HD and 7Mate HD. I also think 7Mate SD will disappear and perhaps be replaced by a slide on 73 pointing to 74, as viewers have had plenty of time to switch. 75 will also be a new channel with probably a static slide for now - new channel coming 15 January. 7Two HD is a possibility.

I’m fairly used to retuning my Panasonic PVRs - very simple, they will give a “new channel found” message with option to recan whole band but it’s easier to just retune 7.

Haven’t had to do this for my newer Samsung TV so that will be interesting.

Unfortunately the PC tuner cards software is generally pretty dumb and will all need attention.

1 Like
2 Likes

it will be interesting from a regional prime view. if we get the same

7bravo is showing on my TV as a black screen after a retune.

3 Likes

The page in the tweet on the 7Plus website (link) says:

The Seven Network’s Channel 7 HD, 7mate HD and 7flix are free-to-air channels broadcast using MPEG4 technology (version 10).

Our newest channel, 7Bravo, launching in January 2023, will also be broadcast using MPEG4.

So it looks like 7flix is moving to MPEG4, 7Mate SD may disappear, 7 SD probably won’t disappear if it hasn’t yet and 7Two will probably remain SD if it’s still in SD.

1 Like

7bravo is showing up on the channel list in metro but isn’t without any service info - it is just in the channel list with no stream allocated. Not present in 7 regional areas yet.

Advice from ACMA

1 Like

Retune in Melbourne not showing any changes yet. No 75

Same here on the 7 regional side of things.

75 7Bravo is here in Melbourne, also 7Flix is now MPEG4.

7 Bravo is still just an item in the channel list in Brisbane. 7Flix has switched to MPEG 4

7Mate’s SD feed has switched to a slide for LCN 73.

2 Likes