Digital TV Technical Discussion

It does. The specification what codecs can be used (DVB-AVC) is seperate from the carrier specifications. That way they can add new codecs without having to release new specs for DVB-T/T2/S/S2/C/C2 etc.

I did look through DigitalBitrate and it looks like Italy has a HEVC Test running on one of their DVB-T muxes: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=CH38&liste=1&live=16&lang=en

3 Likes

Wow, I learn something every day.
Thanks for the info :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks like Seven.

https://twitter.com/telemelbs/status/1592854985293066243

9 Likes

Wasn’t this not meant to happen until next year?

2 Likes

I thought it would be Nine as they seem to need it more than the others (resorting to obscure resolutions to squeeze all those MPEG-2’s in isn’t very forward thinking of them)

But, it makes sense to me now. Seven have been experimenting for a while in RQLD. Time for a national rollout!

3 Likes

I’d say the retune is more than just the inclusion of 7Bravo, with MPEG2-4 changes as well.

5 Likes

Well now the cats out of the bag, yes it is 7, 7mate SD will be going, & 7 flix will be in MPEG4.

7 Qld (regional) was the test market for going MPEG 4 on everything, to prove to the programming dept. that very few, or no viewers would be lost & the result from that was zero affect on viewer numbers, so 7 will now start to make the rest of the Metro & Regional (ex Prime7) markets the same, this is the first step.

11 Likes

So 7mate and 7flix will be MPEG-4 only? Great! I would assume in 7QLD land it would only be 7 in MPEG-2 now with 7two, 7mate, 7flix and 7Bravo all in MPEG-4. Speaking of 7QLD, would 7two and 7mate go back to 72/73?

I would assume all LCNs would be like this:

7: 7 (MPEG-2 SD)
70: 7HD (MPEG-4 HD)
71: 7 (MPEG-2 SD)
72: 7two (MPEG-2 SD)
73: 7mate (MPEG-4 HD)
74: 7Bravo (MPEG-4 SD)
76: 7flix (MPEG-4 SD)
78: RACING .COM (MPEG-4 SD)

Will Seven Regional (ex-Prime7) be getting these changes as well (obviously on 6x LCNs instead on 7x, as well as ishoptv on 65)?

1 Like

7two is HD in Regional QLD so I assume it will also be MPEG4 HD in the metro markets

2 Likes

All DTV channels should be updated to MPEG-4 and in 1080p HD with DVB broadcasting

5 Likes

Just what we need more reality TV garbage!

1 Like

Bravo has a lot of other good crime shows as well. Its basically like the FTA version of Hayu.

2 Likes

I am glad SBS, Seven and Ten are starting to make MPEG-4 more common, with just the main channel in SD/1 or 2 multis in MPEG-2 with the HD channels/4th multi and datacasting channels in MPEG-4. Meanwhile Nine and ABC are too scared of MPEG-4 with only HD channels MPEG-4.

Speaking of Nine, I wonder if 9Gem will soon follow the path of 10 BOLD/7mate/SBS Viceland/SBS World Movies and become HD only? But I guess not as has been said, Nine are too scared of MPEG-4 and very reliant on MPEG-2.

2 Likes

Now that Seven is taking the jump, no doubt Nine and 10 will follow along soon. They all jumped into HD after Nine did in 2015

2 Likes

@TV.Cynic If you don’t mind me asking, would you be able to run some numbers on the current and expected bitrate numbers for the Seven multiplex?
Would Seven be able to fit 7HD, 7two, 7mate and 7flix in HD alongside 7SD, 7Bravo and Racing.com in SD?

I’ll run the bit rates over a few hours.

Based on when I ran the numbers for Nine recently it was possible to get 5 HD MPEG4 channels plus an SD racing.com.

5 Likes

Am I right by thinking they’re doing what they did in 2016 when 7flix was launched? In that it started as MPEG4, but rated bad (especially for then), so they switched to MPEG2 and audiences suddenly increased as it was now available more. In fact when they had Big Bang in its first couple of years, the channel sometimes did 200k (has to be one of its highest) and regular 3% shares.

So, as 7flix has been around for 7 years and is now well established/known, they’re hoping it won’t affect viewership too much (if at all) and giving the new 7Bravo the same ‘best shot’ at launch next year?

Of course having to stop 7mate SD (which considering 7mate is even more established and popular) shouldn’t also be a problem.

2 Likes

With SBS, Seven and Ten now moving to MPEG-4, I feel like it is now time to make MPEG-2 go the same way as analog TV. I feel like SBS, Seven, Ten, SCA and WIN would like that idea however I feel like Nine, ABC and Imparja would be reluctant. If they don’t want to they can just suck it up.

In Tasmania, TDT, WIN and SC7 all have multis in MPEG-4, with only SD main channel in MPEG-2. This would be a good market to start the switchoff. I would like to see somethig like this:

• Tasmania (30 September 2023)
  • Mildura (30 September 2023)
  • Regional South Australia (inc. Broken Hill/Griffith) (1 November 2023)
  • Regional Victoria (1 December 2023)
  • Northern + Southern NSW (1 January 2024)
  • Regional Queensland (1 February 2024)
  • Adelaide (1 March 2024)
  • Perth (1 April 2024)
  • Brisbane (1 May 2024)
  • Regional WA/Sydney (1 June 2024)
  • Darwin/Central/Melbourne (1 July 2024)

I would prefer MPEG-4 HD for all channels but unfortunately I doubt it would happen.
It would be great if the MPEG-2 services were discontinued by 2025 and replaced by MPEG-4.

1 Like

Should Melbourne viewers re-tune their TV now, or wait until November 30?

Wait until November 30. The changes will not happen until then, so no need.

1 Like