Digital TV Technical Discussion

A post was merged into an existing topic: Gecko Channel 17

This is what was happening on the 10 multiplex this morning.

10 MPEG 2 4.3
10 HD MPEG 4 5.5
10 Bold MPEG 4 3.5
10 Peach MPEG 2 2.3
10 Shake MPEG 4 1.9
TVSN MPEG 4 2.0
Gecko MPEG 4 1.6
6 Likes

Wonder when Peach will get the flick to MPEG4 :thinking:

4 Likes

Same here. SBS and 10 are way ahead of 7, 9 and ABC in terms of MPEG4 channels. Time to switch over completely. It’s 2022.

3 Likes
1 Like

Got a picture of one of the lowest powered TV sites in the nation. The 0.01 watt ERP transmitter site at Maroochydore Beach Holiday Park. Transmit antenna is on the left and off-air receive antenna is on the right. Retransmits the Dulong transmitter services on Band 3.

8 Likes

Myswitch suggests that the whole caravan park should have good to strong reception from Dulong (Nambour), so why they’re doing this is a bit of a mystery to me. I would think Brisbane could interfere with it during tropo too since the caravan park retransmit is on VHF.

Myswitch also doesn’t list the Holiday Park service at all.

I note there’s some holiday apartments within a block of it, this could be a challenge for a MS DXer to go up there and see if they can DX it from outside the caravan park! Would be interesting to see if 0.01 watt would make it that far.

1 Like

It suffers massive issues with ducting in the warmer months, from the updates I have read on one of the Sunshine Coast installers website.

I would say it would be worse than the Wollongong / Newcastle CCI issues.

I am assuming it is horizontal polarity?

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

1 Like

Note that Wide Bay is also on most of the same VHF channels as well.

2 Likes

The receiving antenna is not that high, so surely a standard UHF antenna and masthead amp would all that would be required for residents to receive Dulong, making this translator redundant?

1 Like

Though Wide Bay is vertical and further away than Brisbane.

2 Likes

I used to be able to receive a broadcast from the Albion Park raceway in analogue days that was over 10km away and surely just meant for internal use; so even low power wouldn’t be the issue - probably the co-channelling would be the biggest problem.

The ACMA listing is:

ABC6 177.5
SBS7 184.5
STQ8 191.5
RTQ11 219.5
TNQ12 226.5
3 Likes

This will give you an indication of the number of times Point Arkwright is affected by CCI caused by tropo.

Courtesy of Sunshine Antenna website

https://www.sunshineantenna.com.au/transmission_issues/

2 Likes

cci?

Co Channel Interference… means that there is a more distant signal on the same frequency affecting the one that you are trying to watch… usually occurs in the warmer months when there is tropospheric ducting that helps signals to travel further than normal.

1 Like

The source of the co-channel would be most likely be quite local due to the Single Frequency Network - it can be hard to decide which transmitter to use as the primary signal in some areas with secondary signals picked up off the back and sides and even the same direction. Even a small amount of signal enhancement can spoil a good antenna installation.

3 Likes

We have these issues in Sydney too,. The high powered Wollongong and Newcastle tv stations both share the same frequencies. Wollongong is the permanent signal into Sydney, but when tropospheric ducting occurs the Newcastle channels interfere and cancel out the Wollongong channels.

2 Likes

Just had a look on MySwitch, it is not brining up any VHF frequencies for the Holiday Park, and Port Arkwright is up near Coolumn Beach, and on UHF, not on VHF so Brisbane VHF Tv is not the cause of interference.

As @TV.Cynic said it could be SFN issues as I am not sure what else shares the same frequencies.

Point Arkwright frequencies are, 29-33, and is located at 401450/Optus Site Luther Heights Youth Camp David Low Way POINT ARKWRIGHT

Could also be Darling Downs or Brisbane SE interfering with Point Arkwright that also uses these “Block B” channels (UHF 28-33).

2 Likes