Digital TV Technical Discussion

So that’s what this test pattern is referring to. I often see it on the feeds.

2 Likes

For those interested in the behind the scenes content, have a look at my test card gallery here. Mostly Australian test cards, with some British and American ones too.

2 Likes

That’s the one! Looks like Telstra’s old font, too.

1 Like

Nice website! Here’s a couple more for your collection:

^ Not sure if that last one is any good because of the info plate, but it’s Foxtel’s official test card.

Thanks for those, WAtvVideos. I’ve added them to the website and have given you credit. I’ve also cleaned up the last one to get rid of the OSD.

I’ve also just added a whole bunch more of recent test cards I’ve spotted.

2 Likes

SCA do their own satellite distribution and have done for years. Macquarie only feed limited program to external affiliates. SCA also have WAN based backup to all sites preventing rain fade on satellite down links.

1 Like

Do songs play out locally?

When program is local, yes. For network shows the songs are played out from the originating network head.

1 Like

TV reception problems in East Gippsland

What we found

In East Gippsland, the ACMA and broadcasters observed large numbers of inappropriate antennas that were not up to scratch and likely to be contributing to viewer’s reception problems. This is common in many locations across Australia.

Common issues were households with unnecessary second antennas pointed at distant TV towers—which can increase the risk of interference and reduce overall signal levels, or TVs not tuned to the best available channels.

Other issues identified include:

Interference caused by signals ducting from Tasmania on Orbost channels—ACMA monitoring in Lakes Entrance detected Tasmanian signals from near Launceston.

4G mobile signal overload—4G network rollout mainly took place in the region throughout 2015, with a few locations in early 2016.

TV towers receiving unreliable input signal feeds—Issues with the Prime and WIN input feed to the Bairnsdale (Mt Taylor) transmitters have been resolved, some ongoing issues for all services into Orbost (Mt Raymond).

Wonder if by “inappropriate antennas” they might be referring to Melbourne VHF antennas that may still be in place from the analogue era?

Certainly there would be viewers out that way that may be trying to receive Mt Tassie (Latrobe Valley) rather than from the local Mt Taylor site, but it would be via a UHF antenna, which is the correct type.

I’ve noticed that Seven now has the city on its LCN name.

For example:

7 Sydney
7TWO Sydney
7mate Sydney
7flix Sydney

2 Likes

Thanks for that! I had to do a rescan on my Panasonic HDD DVD PVR to see the new LCN names, but my Samsung telly picked that up automatically.

I had to rescan my Topfield MPEG-4 capable STB (that I bought nearly 3 weeks ago for my MPEG-2 only TV at JB for $44) to get the new LCN names.

I have one of those Topfield STBs too, but haven’t used it for a while.
I’ve found that the subtitles don’t work very well on mine.
But still handy to use for DXing since its more portable.

Since it is USB PVR ready, as well as the fact that it’s considered to be portable, I could take it with me on my travels by connecting it to the TV via my HDMI cable, as I personally don’t have a laptop.

1 Like

Incidentally, I’ve also got one of those Topfield set top boxes (mainly so I could get the MPEG4 channels) as of today! Must be a popular range. :slight_smile:

There aren’t many of those types of STBs for sale anymore.
Teac make the only other on I’ve seen for sale.
DSE had one too.

They’ve changed in Brisbane too. Can anyone on the Gold Coast rescan and see if it comes up ‘7 Gold Coast’?

Thanks to a post in another forum, I’ve noticed that 7flix is now transmitting in MPEG-2.

2 Likes