Digital TV Technical Discussion

Food Network launched on VAST today. They’ve removed SBS ONE TAS to make room for it. So, viewers in Tasmania are forced to use SBS HD TAS. Not a problem really, as every viewer has a HD set-top box or integrated TV, plus SBS still use Optus D1 for terrestrial re-transmission which still contains the SD simulcast. But it is interesting to see a network removing unnecessary simulcasts. It’s about time, really.

1 Like

Yes they are, but what I’m saying is the service has a dual purpose of not only providing black-spot viewers with their nearest local news, but also providing travelers with a local news service they can take with them. VAST doesn’t restrict the service to black-spot viewers only - anyone with authorisation to view commercial channels can see them except WA viewers. Give WA travelers over east an option I reckon.

What does ABC Vic have to do with metro news for the missing states? Is it a more ‘national’ service?

I re-read your comment and understand what you’re saying. I reckon that’s a little biased of VAST to offer only ABC News. I’d still like to see the missing metro services on there. VAST did do a deal with Seven and Nine to offer local news services, so it doesn’t seem to be restricted to only regionally owned networks. Nine News Darwin is loosely regional but it’s still a capital city news service.

1 Like

Good point re GWN7 re for travellers.

BUT the way I read the VAST Travellers Apllication form (link below), you are supposed to be only getting the VAST services available in the state/territory that you are travelling to, NOT those from your home state. Though you COULD circumvent it.

http://www.mysattv.com.au/travellers.aspx

(It also says WA vservices are now available).

Yes, that’s correct - only getting the VAST commercial services (SCTV, Imparja, Ten Central) in the state/territory that you are travelling to. That doesn’t apply to ABC, SBS or the VAST Regional News service. All 20 news channels are viewable/unlocked to every single VAST viewer in any of the 6 states and territories that make up the Remote Central & Eastern licence area, whether they’re on a permanent authorisation or a 6-monthly travellers authorisation.

Oops, looks like I’m spelling travellers wrong! Damn US auto-correct.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Sounds like you can’t get the eastern local news channels in WA either?

In many ways, WA get a better VAST service than the eastern states.
All four capital city bulletins are available as well as LIVE local news.
And everything is in the “right” time zone.

The only real disadvantage is that local news isn’t as “portable”, like you said.

2 Likes

That’s right, the news channels are non-existent for WA viewers and not even the smart cards unlock them if using a 3rd party device. The ‘portability’ (great term!) of WA news is probably insignificant to most people but I’d still like to see it nonetheless. It makes good use of satellite space and certainly beats watching a scenic loop!

I completely agree with your assessment of VAST WA. It’s simple, replicates terrestrial services precisely, and because Prime and WIN provide the channels, they never miss out on new services. WA viewers got Racing.com the same time as the rest of the Prime network. 4ME, Gold, Gold 2, WIN HD and 9Life launched mere days after the rest of regional Australia. VAST viewers in the east miss out big time - still no Racing.com, no 9Life or HD and no home shopping (probably a good thing). Combine that with 7mate, Gem and One being in a single timezone, they have to make pretty drastic changes to their viewing habits.

VAST WA also technically has 3 zones with unique channels (North-West, South-West and Albany/Goldfields/Wheatbelt), while Remote Central & Eastern only has 2 (North and South). So if you’re living in Karratha, a North-West city, your VAST box will receive GWN7 GNW and 7mate GNW. Viewers near Bunbury in the South-West receive GWN7 GSW and 7mate GSW, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great explanation on WA vs Remote Central/Eastern TV.

You certainly have a VAST knowledge of Australian satellite TV! :laughing:

1 Like

Cheers man! I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for Altech UEC (the manufacturers of the first VAST Certified set-top box) before it launched into WA. I’ve had a keen interest in everything satellite since then!

1 Like

SBS Arabic 24 has also launched on VAST today, and I believe Food Network is now on Foxtel Satellite!

While on the subject of VAST, whats the chain from TV studio to satellite? Where is the earth station that combines all the channels for broadcast up to the satellite?

1 Like

TV playout facility --> fibre optic DVN --> Optus Satellite facility in Belrose, NSW.

2 of those large dishes pump every Foxtel and VAST channel to Optus C1/D3 satellite. Another one sends every ABC, SBS and Sky NZ channel to Optus D1 satellite. There’s another 2 dishes for Optus D3 and Optus 10 (soon to be commissioned) and the huge motorised dish is being used to track a dying Optus B3 satellite I believe.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I dare say Nine also uses that facility to get its playout from nearby Frenchs Forest in Sydney to each domestic market as well? Would I be right?

Given Seven has its playout in Melbourne, they would have to use a similar Melbourne based facility?

Don’t know much about Ten at all … if they have a national playout centre or not even.

Recorded a rescan notice during The Amazing Race - will upload when I get a chance. “This TV service is changing…”

1 Like

Good April Fools Day joke, TV Cynic!

That was still very interesting though. :smile:

1 Like

I wish I could remember the circumstance for this particular re-scan. Based on the message on screen it must have appeared after midnight one night as it refers to “8.30 am today”.

1 Like

The last I was told about Nine’s actual network, they were using satellite and ground-based methods. The nickname Ubird comes to mind, but I don’t know any more than that. Whatever they use, if they still use it, is well hidden from the satellite community.

Seven and Ten (and more than likely Nine) would use Telstra’s fibre optic digital video network (DVN) to get their channels to each city. It seems to be the cheapest and preferred method for broadcasters wanting to get their channels to the capital cities. ABC, SBS and VAST commercial networks are an exception as they require a national or statewide reach which the DVN wouldn’t be able to achieve.

The satellite feeds are mainly only for backup, not main network distribution, they’re also sometimes used for OB’s.

All TV networks use a combination of Optical Fibre & Digital Microwave Network Distribution. They don’t generally depend on any “consumer” comms networks. They all own, or have significant deals/links with private distribution networks.

They all lease transponder space on the Optus satellites (& yes their transponder information is generally hidden from the public), but a generalisation of the transponder info is published if you know where to look.

Nine does have Satellite uplinks at the Willoughby studios that they use/d, also the old Fairfax Radio Syndication (now Macquarie Media Syndication) Network stuff used to be sent over from the 2UE studios to the Nine Willoughby site, then Nine uplinked it to the satellite from there for them. I’m not sure where the Nine TV & Macquarie Media Syndication satellite stuff is uplinked from now?

Digital Distribution Australia (owned by WIN) is used significantly by WIN & Prime7 for Network Distribution.
NBNTV used to use Soul Communications (the old SP Telemedia that they used to own) for Network Distribution, don’t know if they still do?

Network Ten’s playout centre is at the Pyrmont studios in Sydney.

Most DTV is distributed how I said, most radio is distributed through the Macquarie Media Syndication Network & sent via Satellite. SCA does send some stuff via fibre to a limited number of stations but everything else is sent via satellite through Macquarie Media Syndication. The Super Radio Network have their own satellite transponder & do all their own network distribution, unless they’re getting a program in, from out of network (CrocMedia, etc.).

5 Likes

Thanks RF! Very informative post.

1 Like

Agreed, thanks @RFBurns. I often see vacant transponders marked as “feeds” on various Optus birds but 9 times out of 10 they’re empty. I do remember catching a GWN backhaul feed almost 8 years ago now. Was always good for a laugh. Not sure where that feed is now?

1 Like