Digital TV Technical Discussion

Raymond Terrace!?

How do you know it’s that and not the Central Coast SFN causing it? Could it be that it’s a little out of sync with Razorback, and/or the polarity difference between Gosford and Bouddi/Forresters Beach?

Because the channel ID we saw said WIN Newcastle on Channel 45.

Channel 45 is the Not Assigned channel at Razorback & the Central Coast sites.

2 Likes

From November 2008 to August 2009, Nine replaced its EPG service with an SD simulcast of the main channel until GO! launched, but the LCN remained the same. Looking at TV channel scan videos CAN be interesting…

Watching the season premiere of Have You Been Paying Attention? tonight, I notice it is no longer live captioned. Given the show is filmed on Saturday, the stenographers have done a great job making captions with accuracy with a short turnaround time.

1 Like

Filmed on a Sunday night actually. And I believe there was a complaint lodged with ACMA about the live captioning, so as part of 10’s response they agreed to record the captions.

3 Likes

Now that’s even more remarkable.

Is’nt it filmed on Monday afternoon?

Good. No excuse when the show isn’t live to air

2 Likes

While I don’t doubt that working in closed captioning (especially on often tight deadlines) is one of the under appreciated elements of Australian TV, I’m not sure whether we should praise Ten just for better complying with the ACMA commercial TV code of practice.

Classification is another good example - who could ever forget the warnings that used to run before Gogglebox which said the program contains coarse language and may contain sexual references & adult themes. As if they wouldn’t have had 24 hours between the airing on Lifestyle and the one on Ten to figure out the exact level of content!

1 Like

No, its edited throughout Monday… and ‘delivered’ at 6pm or some time like that.

1 Like

7mate is currently airing on 7HD in Victoria.

Is this happening nationally?

1 Like

7HD is still relaying the main channel in Sydney & presumably Brisbane/QLD.

7HD relaying 7mate applies to the AFL states, as the main channel will broadcast the federal election coverage today.

4 Likes

its only on 7hd not prime7hd so its melbourne not victoria

And it switched back right on midnight last with no notice straight to the election coverage.

They’ve done this previously too, the switch always happens at midnight. Why can’t they do it just around the AFL coverage?

2 Likes

Just going back to this.
LOL, Looks like the locals won’t be getting better TV reception, not that Labor would’ve done anything about it anyway.

Pretty sure TXA would do a field survey for less than $2.5 million, maybe I should discuss with management, & not sure why they’d be tasking ACMA with the job?

I don’t believe building the 3 sites would cost anywhere near $2.5 million either, so don’t know why they’re promising that much just for a field survey?

2 Likes

The way I read it is that the $2.5 mil includes set up/installation.

Obviously would depend on whether there are any existing telecommunication or water towers that they can use.

And yes, bugger re election result, no TV changes for us now! :frowning:

Yes, I just re-read, but they expected the regional broadcasters to cough up money also, putting it over the $2.5 million.

1 Like

In relation to TV reception and where a tower is needed is Little Hartley in the Blue Mountains. My brother in-law who lives there has to rely on VSAT for tv reception. In the analogue days they had reception from a self help tower, but it did not get converted to digital.
A very low powered 100w service on Top of Hassan’s Walls would cover that valley very well.
Surprisingly he can get some very patchy VHF TV reception from Sydney.

3 Likes

I know all about that one, it was local council owned, & when digital came around, TXA was tasked with rebuilding & upgrading, with ongoing operations & maintenance.

The local council wanted TXA to pay for everything, then they asked for continued part ownership of the site & ongoing rental payments from any money earned from the site operation, to which TXA & the broadcasters said get stuffed, do it yourself, & thus they didn’t follow through & viewers had to get VAST.

3 Likes

Thanks that answers it. When I did a coverage plot a medium powered UHF tx site on my Lambie or Mt Ovens instead of Portland would provide some coverage into the Little Hartley Valley.

Lithgow local translators were still needed to adequately coverage Lithgow city though due to terrain.

Mt Ovens would as a tv site would probably cover Bathurst quite well too.

3 Likes