Digital TV Technical Discussion

i did this yesterday and found out that its not DVB-T2. mines a series 6 (F6400) so not quite to of the line

1 Like

Yes, Nine receives content in 4K, Iā€™d say that they would produce the news and such in 4K too.

Just checked the specs of my 2017 Sony Tv and it has DVB-T2. So when they do the trials I should be able to receive them provided they are not at very low strength, or on UHF 29 as my UHF antenna is pointed at Knights Hill.

1 Like

Pro tip: The model number of your TV can sometimes be found on the remote.

Thatā€™s the case with my current TV and unfortunately, it doesnā€™t seem to do DVB-T2.

Most would not do T2.

Iā€™m just waiting for them to do a Mt Dandy test and I can then receive it on my TVheadend server

The Australian Grand Prix has a five day HPON television licence for Albert Park that expires on Sunday. (They also applied for an FM licence but it was refused).

https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/licence_search.licence_lookup?pLICENCE_NO=10398838/1

3 Likes

Very weak from my location.

What is being broadcast? Is it encrypted?

Itā€™s only visible in SDR# with high gain. Nothing decodeable ATM.

Weird waveform too.

We are yet to even see a 1080p broadcast not to mention the jump to 2160pā€¦ Interesting times ahead

Any UHD TV broadcast would probably be 2160i.

I really doubt that. Interlacing is a throwback to the days of CRT TVs, and interlaced video does not perform very well on flat screens without good processing techniques. Progressive scanning is the only way to go these days.

1 Like

Wonder why it was knocked back, theyā€™d been doing special event FM broadcasts in the past

Wont the F1 be filmed in 4k this weekend?

I donā€™t disagree, but I note 1080i is still heavily favoured by FTA and FOXTEL here.

Current set up in Germany: TV channels and Radio bitrates DAB+ DTT FIBER Satellite Cable OTT
(there are Bitrates for each channel if you click on more)

Itā€™s 5.75EUR per month or 69EUR if you PAY for the full year upfront.
Also three channels (two shopping and 1 religious) are brodcasting in 540p, not 1080p.
A lot of the channels also include 5.1 Surround (in E-AC3 or AAC dependent on the channel).
And some regions still have a barebones DVB-T1 service.

Important to note that in Germany, lots of apartments would receive all their free-to-air television channels through analogue coaxial cable. I presume that lots of body corporates simply pay the fee and have a bunch of boxes in a corner somewhere, which is then fed into analogue for distribution around the building.

At least, thatā€™s how it worked in quite a few places I lived. Every apartment individually still has to pay the GEZ (German version of the television licence fee), even if they donā€™t own a television!

1 Like

These days digital is FTA on cable as well. The site I linked also shows the current channels for Vodafone Cable in Munich.
http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=2&live=207&lang=en (all the green ones are unencrypted, which includes commercial channels in SD and the public ones in HD)
Often the fees for cable are included in the rent.

And the TV Licence in Germany is more a public broadcaster licence as it includes radio and the online services. Thatā€™s also why people without a TV still have to pay (they include radios and other digital devices such as smartphones and computers as they can acces the online live streams and on-demand services). In 2015 they had an annual budget of little more than 8bn EUR, which makes them the most expensive public broadcasters in the World.

Really? Theyā€™re broadcasting on 99.7 FM right now

No way. The news is produced in HD (1080). And thatā€™s a relatively recent thing.

And thereā€™s next to no content that Nine has thatā€™s even made in 4k.

1 Like