Digital TV Technical Discussion

In that case, she probably doesn’t have 7QLD or WIN either.

She’s not staying in an Imparja area by chance?

No, regional QLD location - LCNs should be as per other SC9 areas.

She’s got 7 on LCN 70, and apparently does have WIN too (not sure what LCN on) - just no Nine.

1 Like

I have had this a few motel rooms, they lock the menu so you can’t rescan, so all the HD channels are missing and the SCA Nine channel numbers are all messed up…

5 Likes

Yeah, I saw it myself when I stayed in Brisbane in May.
No HD channels, and 9Gem was on 90, 9Go on 99 and no 9Life at all.

4 Likes

I hate it when hotels or holiday houses don’t rescan their TVs.

Hopefully if (or when?) the metro networks expand and buy up their aggregated regional counterparts (RQLD, NNSW, SNSW, RVIC) they’ll do a Seven QLD and move all programming to metro LCNs and use the regional LCNs for overlap.

Means nothing, they’d still need a rescan

1 Like

This may be the most relevant thread to post the following below.

By coincidence, the South Coast viewing area spans from Ulladulla to the VIC border, mirroring that of the BOM’s South Coast forecast area. Likewise, the Wollongong/Illawarra viewing area also mirrors that of the BOM’s Illawarra forecast area.

Whilst the two viewing areas have different ads from one another, they share the same local news services, in which Nine News Illawarra & WIN News Illawarra, as well as Prime7’s Illawarra local news updates, are shown across both viewing areas.

1 Like

I have noticed that the (Far) South Coast services contain little to no Wollongong advertising; this differs from the old analogue days where WIN4 was relayed right down the coast via WIN11 (Batemans Bay, with Narooma translator on VHF3), WIN6 (Bega), and WIN3 (Eden).

2 Likes

What’s died in Adelaide?

No FTA at present. Nothing from ABC, SBS, 7, 9 and 10. Only channel on the air is C44

Also no Digital Radio, and no Nova and Fresh on FM

Was Nova and Digital TV on air from Grenfell Street?

I’d assume so. C44 only comes from Mount Lofty iirc

FTA, DAB and Nova we’re still on and off the air around 3am. All normal today. Just weird having no FTA OR radio…

1 Like

That’s probably SA’s dodgy power supply at work :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m not really sure where this post should as it’s an “Analogue TV Technical Discussion”. I was wondering what kind the receiving antennas looked like for VHF-0. Given the low frequency (i.e. around 45 MHz), the elements must have been quite long, I assume? Has anyone spotted any antennas still up that were installed for reception of VHF-0?

1 Like

Oh yes, the Channel 0 receiving antennas were quite large. Slightly larger than those for Channel 2. I can’t remember what the exact length of those antennas was. In Melbourne, there are still some old Channel 0 setups in the older suburbs. In Brisbane, there are still quite a few Channel 0 setups and also in Toowoomba for the old RTQ0 (WIN). On the Gold Coast in the older parts, the remaining Channel 0 setups are literally falling apart with some houses having antennas with just a few remaining elements.

2 Likes

Yes, a look on Google Street View in towns like Ardlethan on the NSW SW Slopes, which is fringe Mt Ulandra reception for ABMN-0 and RVN-2 should reveal some legacy analogue set ups for those signals still on roof tops.

As @Mechsta said, the elements are VERY long.

2 Likes

Some examples from the older areas of Gatton

Very good reception was available from Mt Coot-tha including TVO plus most had an atennna for 3 and 10 Darling Downs. Lots of examples of semi-fringe antennas in these streets in various stages of repair.

2 Likes

Strange I don’t recall having a significantly large antenna on our roof for receiving Channel 0.

1 Like

It would depend on the signal strength. Antennas in medium strength areas would be a compromise and not need to have full length elements.

Until about 6 months ago I still had the Channel 0 elements on my antenna and many houses in Brisbane still get by with their analogue antennas - that was one of the goals of the switch to digital that most areas could get by with original equipment.

In theory the 0 elements would be 4.5 times longer than channel 10 elements. That also meant that for a basic dipole antenna the signal for 0 would be that much stronger than 7, 9 and 10. Of course manufacturers would compensate for that in antenna design (more elements for the high channel numbers), but in the field the 0 signal could be received further afield.

1 Like

Now would be a great opportunity for ABC to start proper time sharing with separate LCN’s. The channel name ABC Comedy/KIDS is awfully long and an even more confusing blend of genres than ABC2/KIDS. I’d like to see a rearrangement like this:

2 - ABC
20 - ABC HD
21 - ABC
22 - ABC Comedy
23 - ABC Kids
24 - ABC Me
25 - ABC News

It would mean ABC News loses its LCN 24 slot but as it’s no longer part of their branding it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Maybe this was part of the grand plan anyway? Dropping of 1, 3 and 24 from the brands so they can be more flexible with channel numbers?

1 Like

These two are essentially the same thing.