Digital TV Technical Discussion

Not just any channels… try any SD channel delivered by WIN on a 4K TV… :slight_frown:

2 Likes

Anyone in Sydney having troubles with their TV reception after the storm? I’ve lost Seven and Ten. Ten came back after a few hours, but Seven is still nowhere to be found.

1 Like

Of course you can buy 4K Blu-ray Discs.

They hold much more than 20 mins they in fact hold full feature length movies. I don’t know what discs you’ve seen.

That’s news to me… thanks…

I’ll have a look at JB HiFi next time and see what they have.

1 Like

Worth noting that they are incompatible with most players - as they added a triple layer disc to get capacity up enough to make them viable.

3 Likes

They’ve been around since about March last year so there’s certainly no shortage of titles available now.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies/4k-uhd/

Only two players are available in Australia at this stage - Samsung and Panasonic

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/samsung/samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-hdr-blu-ray-player/956335/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/panasonic/panasonic-dmp-ub900gnk-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/980416/

1 Like

The Xbox One S is probably your best choice as a player at this point

1 Like

I have about 10 Ultra-HD Blu-ray titles.

Also there is OPPO available, I have the Samsung player which is good but I still want to get the Oppo player when I can afford it. The OPPO player will set you back $1000 although its the best player in the market atm.

I find Ultra HD Blu-ray as much as an upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray especially with HDR.

1 Like

SBS-7 Was offline for a bit at around 8PM.

I’ve noticed that some people still refer to new flat screen televisions/monitors as a ‘plasma’, even though it’s very unlikely any company would be buying a new plasma screen today as they are no longer being manufactured. The Panasonic professional website only has LCD and LED screens available.

1 Like

Last manufacture year for Plasmas was 2014 IIRC.

2 Likes

Good to see GWN7 didn’t spare any details. I thought they would have used the fibre DVN to get their services to Belrose.

6 Likes

WIN and Prime both use the Digitally Distribution Australia microwave network (owned by WIN) to distribute their signal across most of Eastern Australia. Belrose is connected to this network.
I wonder if this outage affected any other WIN or Prime services.

2 Likes

Currently

Meanwhile Bruce is on the other end of a phone somewhere, demanding the screening of more scenic shots saying this television channel is currently not available.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re looking forward to Daylight saving finishing Sunday morning. I can recall a couple of years in the past when this caused the broadcast EPG to out by one hour on some networks. So if you rely on a PVR that gets its program info off the EPG it might be worth checking the program guide before Sunday night comes around and you’ve missed the latest insult on MKR or other favourite show.

New DVB service:

LCN 36 Service name

SBS Arabic 24

Also a new name for SBS HD, it’s now SBS ONE HD.

3 Likes

Why would they bother doing that when they haven’t had SBS One for years?

2 Likes

SBS Arabic 24 has been one of their DAB+ stations for a while now and was planning to officially launch via Digital TV on Monday, my guess is that they’ve either started early or have done a “soft launch” of the service through that platform.

SBS ONE became SBS in July 2015, so not that long ago! :slight_smile:

Unless SBS knows something about the On-Air Branding of their main channel that we currently don’t (not likely IMO), I personally would’ve thought it would make more sense to drop the “ONE” from the LCN name of the SD channel rather than adding it to the LCN name of the HD channel.