Digital TV Technical Discussion

Finally figured how to get MPEG-4 channels on my Panasonic Vieria which his about 5+ years old.

Go to Setup menu -> Digital TV Tuning Menu -> Add MPEG-4 channels

Honestly didn’t think it would work on this old TV.

BAI Communications (formerly Broadcast Australia) and the commercial television networks have been refusing to pay rent for transmission infrastructure they have on NSW Crown Lands since at least 2012, and back to 2006 in some cases.

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing their reasons why

As discussed in the HD topic, Australia’s specifications for the allocation of LCNs.

Logical Channel Descriptor and Allocation of Logical Channel Numbers

Note that there was no provision for these to change once allocated (as in a change of affiliation)

6 Likes

I wonder what happened to Audio description (AD) for TV in Australia. ABC did their trial on FTA and apparently some programs on iView have AD, but otherwise Australia seems to be lagging.

The UK has it for some programs, and in the USA it’s also available on some programs. The USA has long had alternative audio available, Spanish for some English language programs, and English for some Spanish language programs. It’s doable but the Australian networks mustn’t think it’s worth the effort. Ten still can’t be bothered putting closed captions on all programs on One and Eleven.

Seems like 7 has gone off the air in Adelaide

There is a signal but each channel in the mux is dead, including 7FLIX and RACING.COM

2 Likes

There are some complaints on Twitter about it:

2 Likes

It appears to be back, judging from the Plus7 stream using an Adelaide postcode.

It may have been a transmitter fault up at Mt Lofty, thus not affecting the live streams.
I wonder if viewers in the Adelaide Foothills were affected too?

The playout people in Melbourne may not necessarily known about the issue and kept sending it out online anyway.

1 Like

I’m going to guess transmission fault since the channels all just went blank but signal wasn’t lost

For the record yes the PLUS7 streams were running the whole time

3D television joins HD DVD and HD VMD as dud digital technologies.

[quote]LG and Sony have both confirmed they will be abandoning 3D TV support in 2017. … In other words, it will soon be impossible to buy a 3D TV from a major manufacturer in Australia — and 3D Blu-rays are sure to follow suit. … This follows similar announcements from Samsung and Panasonic who have already stopped manufacturing 3D TVs.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/its-official-3d-tv-is-dead-20170126-gtznpi.html[/quote]

2 Likes

Heh, I remember when HN were boasting about 3D TV

1 Like

I reckon curved TVs will soon follow 3D TVs out the door in terms of being a gimmick that doesn’t take off.

I don’t really see any advantages for it, apart from maybe increasing the viewing angles ??

7 Likes

TVs I agree, but monitors no. They are really picking up pace now.

Thanks, now my Samsung non 4K “Curved” monitor is now going to be a fad.

4K makes a bit more sense for a PC.

Particularly IF your PC has the grunt to process 4K games at high frame rates.

I think there will be a chance for 4K TVs. Right now, there are the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S consoles that support 4K in different ways. The latter even supports 4K Blu-Ray, a cheap option for playing such formats.

If there were any 4K Blu Ray discs that you could buy…

The current discs can only hold about 20 mins of 4K content.

Watching SD channels on a 4K TV is simply magical :joy:

3 Likes