Digital TV Technical Discussion

Thanks have rebooted tv,turned subtitles off/on so will try retuning,good idea if not will get someone with hearing to call them for me,but thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

Whilst looking throu the web I found this.

Accor Hotels has a DVB-T transmitter on CH 37.

I can not receive this signal yet I’m only 4km’s away from the City.

Is there anymore low powered transmitters in Victoria apart from this one?

I daresay that it’s most likely a signal that can only be received on TVs in the hotel itself.

This guy received it on an RTL-SDR connected to an hotel antenna.

Its more then likely injected by the distribution equipment within the hotel.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Viceland

I used to able to pick up a grainy analogue signal on UHF from the Brisbane Racing Club at Doomben about 8 km away. Don’t know why they would have been broadcasting.

I remember watching the University of NSW television channel on UHF back in the 1980s iirc, it was in black & white and was mostly lectures. The government cancelled the university’s experimental licence when they announced plans to use it for community television which at the time was against government policy.

1 Like

Later there was amateur TV on ch 35 in Sydney that was mostly lectures.

http://televisiongladesville.blogspot.com.au/

There are currently amateur TV clubs transmitting DTV.

2 Likes

When I was down in Melbourne a few years ago I could pick up the amateur DTV broadcast from VK3RTV on my digital STB. It didn’t come up in a scan but if you manually input the carrier frequency it would tune it

We were in a nicely elevated part of the inner eastern suburbs with fairly good LOS to Mt Dandenong (approx 25km distance as the crow flies), and it came in quite well despite only being a low-power service.

1 Like

I used to be able to received the amateur station from Maleny on analogue - it was on Channel 27 (approx) I think. I don’t think any of my TV’s can pick up the DTV frequencies used. Might have to get out an old STB and see if it will tune around 444MHz

Here in Melbourne we have VK3RTV which I can’t receive because it’s on 446Mhz.

There is a receiver that I can use in Geelong but I haven’t tried receiving it.

Yes - that is the problem, not modern TVs and PVRs can’t receive those frequencies. Perhaps an older STB might work - I have my very first STB that claims to tune 45-820 so it even included Ch 0-2.

The one in Geelong is I think a Teac and it’s non HD.

will there be any more channels added to FTV
Not including abc 20 HD

I wouldn’t think so, at least in the short term future.

All multi channels are control from Sydney

Only TEN would appear to have capacity to add 1 more SD channel.
All other networks have their streams full.

The only way others could add more is to convert some channels to MPEG4 only, since it is more efficient. Seven tried this with 7flix, and had to change that back to the more widely receivable but older and less efficient MPEG2 after people complained that they couldn’t get it.

3 Likes

Finally figured how to get MPEG-4 channels on my Panasonic Vieria which his about 5+ years old.

Go to Setup menu -> Digital TV Tuning Menu -> Add MPEG-4 channels

Honestly didn’t think it would work on this old TV.

BAI Communications (formerly Broadcast Australia) and the commercial television networks have been refusing to pay rent for transmission infrastructure they have on NSW Crown Lands since at least 2012, and back to 2006 in some cases.

1 Like