Digital Radio

Just want to provide an update on this for those who are interested.

Brought the Sony a few weeks ago and it’s been going solidly. DAB reception is fine (even with the antenna wire uncoiled) while it’s FM signal detection when using auto scan seems a bit iffy although I haven’t had too much of a go with it since I seldom listen to FM nowadays.

It does have 5 dedicated DAB/FM preset buttons (5 for each mode) which works well and switching is a matter of seconds. Advantage over my previous Bush model for having a dedicated sleep timer button rather than hiding it in the menu.

The display shits all over the Bush model I used to have, the lowest setting is the best as it gives a OLED display feel during the night where the display is perfectly readable but not blinding or lighting up the room. Not so much during the day due to the front being a bit reflective.

Only real complaint is that the speaker is located at the back of the unit although the sound is still quite decent.

In January there was barely anything. Good they got them back.

The latest DAB+ ratings are out: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_Survey-4-2017.pdf

The survey took place before:

• OMG! was replaced by Triple M Greatest Hits Digital
  • Triple M Classic Rock Digital made a comeback
  • Triple M Modern Digital was introduced

In Sydney, Coles Radio is now the #1 DAB+ station, which was occupied by The Edge, who also fell behind Triple J Unearthed & Double J.
In Melbourne, Double J is #1, with Coles Radio at #2 & ABC Jazz at #3. Here’s an interesting fact: Double J, Coles, ABC Jazz, Aussie & The 80s have a higher cume than Talking Lifestyle 1278! :open_mouth:

In Brisbane, Coles Radio is #1, with Smooth outrating Easy Hits by 9,000. In Adelaide, The 90s is #1, whilst in Perth, Smooth tops the DAB+ chart.

2 Likes

More than 7,000 customers have gone into Chemist Warehouse stores in Sydney and would have heard CW Remix. And a cumulative audience of only 82,000 have listened to Coles Radio in Sydney? That cume should be somewhere over 1 million.

Perth has the most accurate cume for NTS on 1,000 but even that would be overstating the audience by 1,000.

2 Likes

I’ve been in both Coles and Chemist Warehouse stores and in the last week and don’t recall hearing any radio. It may have been on and I didn’t pay attention, or it may not have been. Either way, I was more focused on buying what I needed to and getting out that what music they were playing. Other people would be the same and not recall hearing those stations.

Other people may not associate their in store listening with DAB+ listening in these surveys. Others will - probably enough to inflate the figures - but it’s not going to be 100% of all listening.

While some listeners of these stations will be in store, a large number will not be. These stations are designed to have broad appeal so it is believable that people who desire a broad mix with minimal advertising and talk will listen to these stations.

Is a Coles Radio listener classified as someone who has walked into Coles for longer than 15mins and had no choice but to listen while shopping?

1 Like

If they tick the box on the survey they are.
That’s one of the problems with recall based surveys - they’re only as accurate as what people fill in.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how the new Triple M digital stations go in the next survey.

1 Like

They will be all over the place because the digital surveys just seem to unreliable to be meaningful.

Is there something ABC Jazz did in their music selection that made them suddenly made them gain 42% in Melbourne, but drop 37% in Sydney? Or what Buddha did to double their Sydney audience but lose a third in Brisbane? Or what NTS is doing to be 4th in Sydney in 10-17?

The only thing we can learn from the digital radio survey is more people shop at Coles than Chemist Warehouse.

3 Likes

You can live on Coles but you can’t live on CW :blush:

Totally agree. The sample size for each station is miniscule. In the TV surveys any number under 30,000 is considered by the survey company to be unreliable. There’s no methodology given for these digital radio surveys. But how you can arrive at a figure of 1,000 for a station beggars belief.

EON Sports Radio is no more. Almost a year after it was launched, administrators this week recommended the station be liquidated with a list of unsecured creditors adding up to $800,000. According to today’s Herald Sun, the list included former presenters Jack Heverin (who is now at AFL Nation) and Richard Callander who are owed $18,000 between them, former basketballer Michelle Timms ($1400) and Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy ($3000).

1 Like

TACO is now dead air in Sydney.

What’s TACO?

A DAB+ station in Sydney (for technical reasons, I presume) that previously ran a rebroadcast of Triple M, but is currently running 40kbps of absolutely nothing!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see how it does in the ratings.

5 Likes

reminds me of the night Seven went black in Melbourne…

When was that?

This is going to get interesting very quick now :stuck_out_tongue:

from memory it was a Wednesday during Blue Heelers - it could have been in the early days of BCM - our resident historian @TelevisionAU might recall

2 Likes

I think u are right about the Blue Heelers part but the rest i don’t recall.

I do remember 7 Perth went off air one night during 7 News. The ratings didn’t budge apparently. That’s loyalty.

EDIT: @SydneyCityTV has found it out: General TV History - #2037 by SydneyCityTV

2 Likes