Digital Radio

There is here in Sydney:

New slides from the other stations:

Yep, you know you’re a dedicated media enthusiast when you collect DAB+ slideshow images…

5 Likes

Radioapp has the new stations and station names.

1 Like

The Paul McCartney week is reminiscent of FM104 when it first started - they had a week of Beatles A-Z with every track the Fab 4 ever recorded including foreign language; later there was a Rolling Stones A-Z. Still have some cassettes of those two.

2 Likes

McCartney Week is to celebrate him coming back to Australia.

Whilst it unfortunate the bit rate has declined. I am happy we have 3 new triple Ms. I wonder why they are not worried on ratings?

1 Like

Great news!
Finally. FINALLY SCA have done something I approve of :slight_smile:

Had a listen to MMM Greatest Hits this morning featuring Paul McCartney for a week. Sounds great. And also sampled MMM Classic Rock.

Happy days!

Personally I also like the subtle rebrand of Easy Radio to Easy Hits. Just sounds better IMO.

1 Like

Same in Melbourne. FINALLY!!!

To quote one of my previous complaints about this situation, here’s what the stations bought at the DAB spectrum auction:

You’ll note that in Melbourne that SCA bought 160kbps - yet the two Triple M stations are only 48kbps. Are they only using a single encoder nationally or something, so need the bits the same in each market on the national stations? In which case, what’s happening right now in Perth/Adelaide?

That said, on a whole it’s a positive - using some of their 9A spectrum is better than nothing, and I certainly welcome the new Triple M stations. But even if encoders are the issue, shift more stuff to 9A and increase the bits on Fox/Triple M.

In Sydney at present, every SCA station is on 9A, which includes 2Day, Triple M & the DAB-only stations.

I believe so.

I assume this is the case in other markets too, but the Triple M stations aren’t grouped together here in Melbourne ie. you have “Triple M” as the main station but the new ones all appear as “MMM Greatest” etc meaning that any station starting with N-S appears in between such as all the SBS stations. I thought that was a bit odd.

Harder to do this with the Hit stations though…

From my limited listening, MMM Classic Rock seems to be a tad safer than the original incarnation. I did hear Janis Joplin’s “Me & Bobby McGee” though; the acid test would be whether “School” by Supertramp remains on the playlist. It remains a great driving station for those lucky enough to be equipped with a DAB+ tuner whilst mobile.

2 Likes

No id disagree with that its pretty much the same as last time

1 Like

I’m hoping it will be. Still not 100% sure though. I thought it sounded a tiny bit safer but we’ll see over time.

I do like the subtle rebranding of Easy Radio to Easy Hits.

Just a thought from left field, I wonder if they will consider giving up on 2Day and putting Easy Hits 104.1 on FM in Sydney?

Probably unlikely, but you never know…

1 Like

I think the reason why it feels a bit different is because theirs some 80s music in the playlist this time

Small sample I know, but within 10 minutes I copped “Khe Sanh”- there was hardly any Chisel on the original which was commendable. “Essential Vinyl”- where an album is played in full- has been retained which is good to see; it airs at noon daily. Both incarnations play(ed) too much AC/DC for my liking; at least once per hour.

Easy Hits is on the analogue airwaves somewhere in western Sydney or the Blue Mountains; I can still pick up a weak (unlicensed) transmission on 91.8 MHz.

1 Like

I can’t see SCA not having at Hit station in Sydney , along with Fox, it should be a flagship station in the network.

1 Like

Hey ive noticed that mmm greatest hits isnt working on radioapp or on the triplem app is anyone else getting this problem

1 Like

You’re probably right but they could do a “KIIS” and market different varieties in different markets (KIIS, 97.3, MIX and 96fm) and still call it the one network. Technically Easy Hits 104.1 would still be a “Hit network” station when selling advertising.

Anyway it’s just a thought. I’m not sure whether the concept of flagship stations exist either, especially when they’re rating like 2day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Must admit I’m liking the Paul McCartney special on Greatest Hits much more than I thought. Gee he has a lot of songs I’d completely forgotten about!
I’ll be very interested to see what the station sounds like when they finish with the special.

2 Likes