Digital Radio

I’m pretty sure that Modern Rock went off air in Adelaide at the same time that Classic Rock ended in other markets.

With the Triple M-branded DAB+ stations, I personally I think they’ll go for an approach like the old Classic/Modern Rock stations where different cities get different stations. SCA will still want people listening to the main Hit & Triple M stations first and foremost, so I think they’d make sure that their DAB+ offerings don’t clash with their FM stations.

Finally, does anyone here want to predict how long this latest DAB+ strategy from SCA will last for? Personally I think we’ll probably come back in about 12 months time to hear about another restructure of SCA’s digital offerings!

Exactly :joy::joy:

The above news will mean that Melbourne will have two Classic Rock stations on DAB+: Triple M Classic Rock Digital & Classic Rock Radio, which the latter is also available on 1377AM & was launched just over 3 weeks after Triple M Classic Rock Digital was axed the first time round.

If that’s the case, then it would be an ironic situation to see a Triple M DAB+ station being more “classic hits” than what WS/Gold is sounding like these days.

2 Likes

Perhaps Pacific Star need to launch “Oh My Gosh Radio”?

2 Likes

I hope you’re right.
I quite liked their playlist.

At first glance, “Greatest Hits” and “Classuc Rock” look a bit too similar.

Currently in Melbourne, and have found a station on my digital radio called “VAR Digital”, which I hadn’t heard of before.

Looks like this is Vision Australia Radio, which I think is the same as 3RPH on 1179 AM ??

Just heard a promo for Triple M Greatest Hits on OMG! - now, where is Modern & Classic Rock going?

Yep - they also broadcast IRIS Digital, which used to run a separate schedule to the 1179AM schedule but I think is currently a simulcast (thus renderring the separate ‘VAR Digital’ stream redundant)

1 Like

One will replace The Range (which is only 32kbps) and possibly reduce the bit rates of Easy, OMG, and/or MMM to fit another stream?

1 Like

Only one sydney. I think it was 40 in Brisbane and Adelaide. But it hasn’t been on air in Melbourne since Kinderling launched.

1 Like

Here in Sydney at least, 2DayFM and Triple M are currently use 88kbps each. Aside from The Range at 32kbps, the other SCA stations (if Kinderling counts, add them too) are 48kbps.

Cutting the bitrate of the main stations to 64kbps would allow for an additional 48kbps to be used for another station. We’re not so likely to see the bitrate of Kinderling to 32kbps, with one of the new or relaunched SCA streams getting 48kbps.

2 Likes

The Range is 32 kB in Brisbane - some might still be able to receive a version on FM at 91.5 in SEQ.

Old School announcing tonight that to continue receiving a re-scan will be necessary.

MMM and hit105 are 56kbps in Brisbane

1 Like

OMG playing Bright Side of the Road

“let’s enjoy it while we can…” :grinning:

1 Like

Last song on OMG was All My Friends Are Getting Married by The Skyhooks

First song on MMM GH is Live and Let Die by Wings

2 Likes

Well all my friends are get married was the last song played on OMG. It was cut off halfway through… Now Live and Let die is the first track by Paul McCartney.

1 Like

First song on MMM Classic Rock was Hells Bells by ACDC

1 Like

…and the SCA DAB+ changeover happened at midnight!

Final song on The Range Country before it ceased broadcasting on DAB+: Songs That Make Us Country by Mcalister Kemp.

2DayFM and Triple M are now 56kbps (:thumbsdown:) while the others are 48kbps.

1 Like

In Brisbane Classic Rock and Modern Rock appeared on 9A while the rest of SCA are on 9B.

The Range cut off mid song while MMM and hit105 increased their bit rates from 56 to 64. OMG changed to Classic Hits

There was no need to rescan to keep Oldskool but it needed to get the 9A stations on most radios.

2 Likes

Its going to be all Paul McCarthy this weekend on greatest hits. Does he have enough tracks? Or will a lot be repeated?

No slide show on MMM Modern and Classic Rock which is good since it essentially wastes bits for a small number of receivers. The slide show of OMG still show in Classic Hits that is playing just Paul McCartney for a week?

Oh was it for a week? Wow. I thought it was just a weekend.