Digital Radio

Yeah I went Hong Kong last year and it is not easy to find an am/fm radio let alone a dab radio. Radio is dieing there. When I ask people if they listen most say no. The taxi drivers may listen more. It is huge contrast to the early 00s when I was last there. The internet has taken over.

The kids these days may not listen too much in Australia either. When the 13 years are 30 years old be interesting to see the shape of radio in Australia. The car is probably saving it for now.

All of the high rise buildings in Hong Kong would make it very difficult to get good AM/FM reception there.

Which may explain why people havenā€™t been interested in DAB radio since theyā€™ve never really been radio listeners.

The blog post explains a lot of the RF in Hong Kong

1 Like

Be interesting from a tech standpoint how you plan and design radio coverage in a city like hong kong. There were still a lot of buildings in the 80s. I suppose with tv you can use cable.

1 Like

The glitches on the 2SM digital stations (1SM, 2SM, Fun, Gorilla and Zoo) have returned ā€¦ sigh

Yeah thatā€™s a big part of it. The private automobile is a rarity in Hong Kong. Very much a public transport city so they donā€™t have the pull of car listening that even other cities in China have now.

1 Like

When DBC (one of Hong Kongā€™s commercial digital radio stations) launched in 2012, they resorted to give away DAB receivers to taxi drivers and minibus drivers so they could broadcast to passengers day and night.

ABC Extra has been broadcasting the ABC emergency service.

Itā€™s not very good. Very difficult to find the ABC North Coast stream.

My thoughts on digitalā€¦

2CH on digital sounds fantastic. As does 2UE, Koffee, 2GB, KIIS, WSFM and 2DayFM.

2SM and its sister stations (including Gorilla) sound dreadful. 2SM sounded better on AM in 1982 than it does today on digital.

My favourite stations on digital would have to be Easy and OMG. But they sound so dreadful that I donā€™t listen to them.

1 Like

WS fm does not sound that good in my view. 2ch/2gb/2ue sound great.

Smooth sounds ok, fm is much better.

Ws fm I dont think sound that good.

My car radio has issues with 9a and 9b so I dont listen as much.

1 Like

For music, I think only 2CH, Triple M and 2DAY pass muster on Digital.

The rest of the music stations are compressed to buggery.

2 Likes

Yeah forgot about triple m. Yeah they are pretty good, nova is ok too.

Gee Digital Radio is really making inroads into new cars. The new 2017 Kia Rio (mid- and top-range) come standard with DAB. This is really encouraging to finally get a Korean manufacturer on-board. Now we just need Hyundai. How long can manufacturers like VW and Subaru drag the chain when youā€™ve got DAB in a Rio!

2 Likes

I was car shopping 18 months ago and went for a Territory over an Outback, dab+ and the no waiting for it to arrive clinched the deal. Hopefully Subaru get their act together when I require an upgrade.

1 Like

Yeah it surprised me that there is no DAB in the all new Impreza just released.

My new VW Tiguan doesnt have DAB+ either

I havenā€™t totally abandoned digital radio but Iā€™m doing a lot more streaming now. Iā€™m in Canberra a lot and there is not much choice on digital radio here.

1 Like

Yeah VW have been one of the worst of the major manufacturers to ignore DAB. Quite surprising given their premium positioning and European origin.

Hey I noticed that omg changed their playlist quite radically does anyone think that is because of how it rated at the first DAB ratings