Digital Radio

Yep! SYN is the youth community station in Melbourne, as @Radiohead and @SydneyCityTV explained.

The ‘SYN 90.7’ service on 90.7FM varies from the ‘SYN Nation’ stream on DAB+; the former is dedicated to Melbourne made content, while the latter also includes youth programming syndicated from other community stations and organisations around Australia.

1 Like

Oh ok just never seen it before

They are all vertical so as not to interfere with the Sydney/Brisbane DTV services on the same channels.

DAB+ is still only a supplementary service, DTV has much higher priority over interference, if DTV interferes with DAB+ it’s low priority, but not the other way around.

Given the beam tilt down deliberately imposed on the Sydney & Brisbane main DAB+ services in those directions, it’s near impossible DAB+ will interfere with those vertical DTV services.

DAB+ in Canberra is also on 10B, so as to not interfere with Sydney DAB+ on 9A, 9B & 9C & vice versa.

1 Like

Question to everyone in this forum what kind of DAB stations would you all like to see launched in 2017

Barry 2.0. Loved that station and was pretty low cost to run since it was all MMM material. Was the reason I got my Digital Radio.

2 Likes

SBS Eurovision radio all year around :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I want 4TAB-TWO to stay Stereo 10!

5 Likes

I want stations to just stop wasting huge amounts of bits on slideshow images almost no receivers support.

Slightly slower loading/higher compression of those images can significantly improve audio quality.

As would all networks using all the spectrum they paid for. It’s a farce that SCA still have not touched their 9A purchases in Melbourne, all while The Range doesn’t operate and Fox and Triple M run at horrible bit rates.

5 Likes

The community stations which do their slideshow images in PNGs rather than JPEGs…I wonder how much audio quality is being sacrificed for those?!

As far as audio quality is concerned, I think I’d prefer higher sound quality on AM and Digital-only stations rather than FM stations which will never sound better than analogue (especially at the low bitrates of which networks like ARN run their main channels on DAB+ at).

1 Like

I would like to see Fun/Zoo Super Digi to expand to Melbourne and Brisbane as well

1 Like

Appears 2ch magic having issues today . Similar what happened with 2sm a couple of weeks ago.

A Gorilla could work well in Brisbane. While Switch Digital plays some good EDM, it often lacks the mix of current commercial dance… Novanation was always a good station to listen to during the workday… a nice mix of EDM/commercial dance and old skool. 12 minute long trance tracks sadly don’t cut it in the middle of the day.

Maybe a nationwide re-birth of Wild could be successful on digital… there’s a ready made market there…

Zoo still plays Rick Dees and the weekly top 40 show.Sunday mornings and nights at 6.

Its what i miss about Classic Rock Digital.Added content.Full album played at 11am.Hard and Heavy metal show.Little stevies underground garrage and Nights with Alice cooper.Plus when an artist passed(david Bowie)they would play 24 hours of his material.

Even More Digital had Kim wilde eighties show.

Grumble grumble

1 Like

It appears all good now. :grinning:

1. SCA to bring back The Range to Melbourne
  2. EON Sports Radio to create an EON 80s rock/classic rock/new wave digital radio channel similar to EON FM in the 80s
  3. Kiss FM Dance Music Australia on digital radio
  4. Pacific Star’s Classic Rock Radio to pick up Little Steven’s Underground Garage, Nights with Alice Cooper and other programming lost when SCA Triple M Classic Rock Digital ended.
2 Likes

For SRN/BOG to rebrand “Fun Classic Hits/Super Digi” to something like “2SM Classic” - A '60s to '80s station playing the very best music from the heyday of 2SM 1270 including maybe even some of the old jingles/Station IDs for good measure.

Can’t Sydney have at least one very interesting digital-only station of it’s own? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or Iheartradio to Create an Modern Rock Station that capture new Australian Rock Sounds.

1 Like

Yeah I’m with Sydneycitytv I would love to see EON do that potentially with old jingles as well

1 Like

i’ve been listening to a fair bit of EON in the car during the night. It’s taken the place of the BBC on newsradio for me when driving. as i support a crap EPL team (west brom) it’s great for getting info about them.

it’s interesting that they are playing talksport lock, stock and commercials. if restrictions come down on gabling advertising then EON could be in trouble due to the number of gambling adverts talksport plays

Despite being a West Ham fan I hate that everytime I tune into EON all I hear is soccer (a common complaint for me with ABC Grandstand as well).

That’s what makes Radio Sport in NZ my favorite sports station - there’s a real passion there for all sports - particularly the big ones - Rugby, Cricket, Rugby League, Football and of course soccer as well (but in a dose applicable to its ability to pique the interest).

As for the advertising on Talksport - there would have been a time when (depending on the law) we could have turned a blind eye… but now with the global nature of online betting (and Ladbrokes and William Hill having strong Australian presences) this is no longer the case.