Digital Radio

If there are no jocks, and no local interest and news, Spotify services are better options. Radio will be unnecessary if they don’t realise this.

3 Likes

antho

another problem with OMG is the amount of kiss tracks they play they need to play more kiss tracks instead of playing the same one over and over again

I tend to disagree. Personally I find radio just “easier” than streaming, especially in the car. My car has all the apps but it’s just easier to tune to the DAB stations. I’m always on DAB stations with no announcers (the 80s, OMG, etc.). Not that I mind the ones that have some low key announcers like Smooth Digital either. I just find streaming Pandora etc. in the car a little unsatisfying. I’d rather flick between the DAB offerings.

1 Like

I haven’t really noticed too much difference in the Easy playlist BUT I have noticed they are actually saying things like “better than Smooth” and “less clutter than Smooth” etc. So no hiding who they’re targeting.

Yeah exactly my point I’ve always thought that easy radio is Austereos really poor response to smooth but the difference with easy and smooth is easy plays more soft hit songs than smooth

I agree…

And I find that most Internet stations don’t play as many Australian songs as Digital Radio does (naturally, since most of them are overseas based).

2 Likes

As per to one of my previous posts I think theyve only inserted more classic rock into triple m Adelaide

I heard this about a month ago, so it might only be a month or a couple old.

Yeah I actually think that too

So I brought a mini sangean dab radio and I find this station called syn does anyone know any info on that station

Sounds like you’re in Melbourne and if so, that would be the community radio station that you can also hear on FM 90.7

1 Like

I don’t live in Melbourne, but it’s to my understanding that SYN = Student & Youth Network.

IIRC, they broadcast digital-only offering “SYN Nation” on Melbourne DAB+ in lieu of the main 90.7FM service.

2 Likes

Right thanks for that just never heard it before

Does anyone get good signal out of eonsports because I don’t

The reason DAB+ is vertical & not mixed, is purely to help avoid interference with the adjacent, &/or co-channeled (in nearby market areas) DTV channels. There’s only a few areas where DTV is vertically polarised in VHF Band 3.

Vertical to horizontal polarisation, gives approx. 20dB+ of signal strength separation. Mixed DAB+ would interfere with horizontally polarised DTV signals.

Vertical polarisation is also more resistant to man made interference.
Most man made interference happens to be produced in a horizontally polarised fashion, which is partly why AM radio is vertically polarised, (more info on this next), (think electrical power transmission lines, electric fences in rural areas, etc.).

Another concern is that horizontal Radio/TV signals with low frequency, (generally below VHF Band 3), are reflected back off the Earth’s surface & cancel each other out as a result of the waves phase being reversed on reflection.
At a distance out from the transmit antenna, this makes bad or no reception possible.
Radio generally has/needs a greater coverage area than TV, & also with TV using higher frequencies, TV signals aren’t as much of a concern being horizontally polarised.

FM stations are mostly mixed, to account for the many different ways receive antennas are mounted. Quite a lot are vertical, but you’ll be hard pressed to find any horizontal only FM stations (very bad for reception due to as explained above, that’s why mixed or circular as a USA term, was invented).

Using vertical polarisation for DAB+ also helps (makes it much easier) to implement beam down/up-tilt to restrict or increase the signal coverage areas. This was an important planning issue in Australia, to stop out of area reception, or spill of DAB+ into adjacent markets.

1 Like

Re Veritcal VHF Band 3… Given that Bathurst, Canberra, Taree and Wide Bay are all within about 300 km of Syd or Bris, there are actually more Vertical VHF Band 3 DTV TXs located somewhat near a DAB area than there are horizontal ones.

Re man made interference… That’s interesting as I do get more interference on DTV from Sydney than I do with DAB, BUT I had put this down to the error correction built into DAB than anything to do with polarity.

2 Likes

Is anyone getting good reception from eonsports out of Melbourne at the moment

I’m not in Melbourne, but no issues with my EON reception from the Sydney digital radio setup.

Also, are you having trouble with any other stations? If no, then its likely there is a fault with the EON feed to the transmitter, thus everyone would be getting the same issue.

Yeah thanks for that could be because of the storms at the moment