Digital Radio

They’re at it again asking for Government money - trying to compare themselves to digital television. They continue to leave out the simple fact that the digital television switchover was viable and had a clear digital dividend. There’s less than 8MHz of spectrum freed by a total switch to digital radio, and hardly in a desirable place in the band.

That too would rely on being able to somehow replicate current AM/FM stations on digital in 8 frequency blocks - which is going to be impossible. I suppose that explains mentioning online streaming as part of their strategy.

There’s still no actual plan outlined here - to make Canberra permanent they need a channel plan to move it into the 8A-9D range, and fit the rest of regional NSW’s radio in there.

2 Likes

I think I disagree with the ERP stuff.

Because of the multiplexing, it’s just 3 x 50 kw signals for digital vs (in the case of Sydney) its 2 x 150kw at Artarmon and Gore Hill, 1 x 50 kw at Martin Place for 2MBS, plus separate transmitters for Hope, 2SER etc, plus all the AM transmitters.

Once analogue gets switched off that is, which is years away.

But I do agree on the sound quality issue :grinning:

Been meaning to ask - has ARN done anything on digital in Perth?

SBS Chill has a listener-voted top 100 that is a little different to other top song lists… They have released results of the vote.

http://www.sbs.com.au/radio/revealed-chillest-100

The latest post on Gough’s Tech Zone might be of interest, since it includes fairly recent analysis of Canberra’s DAB+ trial (and also Digital TV and FM in the area).

It seems that the SBS stations are the only ones on the multiplex currently (well, as of November 28 anyway) running a working DAB+ slideshow.

I think the super radio network, 2sm and fun is breaking up on dab periodically, maybe it’s time to reboot the superdigi pc :wink:. I don’t think it’s a reception issue.

I tried tonight as well, and there are interruptions several times a minute on FUN, ZOO and Gorilla as well.

Its unlistenable, I’m surprised (or maybe I shouldn’t be) that BOG doesn’t seem to have noticed.

2SM doesn’t seem to be affected however, and the left channel sound issue seems to have been fixed! Though it all seems to be mono still…

2sm seems to break up but less. I don’t mind getting an occasional dose of sport for the drive home.

Fun , I enjoy listening but it’s almost unlistenable at the moment.

The problem seems to be fixed now… on ZOO anyhow.

Yeah message them today, it should be fixed but they are running at EEP 4-A meaning the error correction is not the best. So coverage would be not as good as other stations. It does break up in my car when driving in the hornsby area. The other stations are most of the time flawless.

That’s interesting…

Even when I move my portable around outside up here (Charlestown, south of Newcastle) I don’t have any issues with break up… no different to other stations anyhow.

This article that I found explains it. https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreports/tr025.pdf

"DAB+ is protected by Equal Error Protection EEP. Four different Protection Levels are defined for
EEP. Level 1 represents the strongest and Level 4 the lowest error protection, the most frequently used is Level 3. "

2 Likes

2ue is now back in stereo. It seems like recently they have fixed their dab feeds. 2ch magic did sound poor when it was networked, now its back to normal.

###Digital radio expanding to all capitals and Gold Coast

Digital radio services are expanding across Australia with trials in Canberra and Darwin to be made permanent and digital radio to be added to Hobart and the Gold Coast over the next two to three years.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority, in consultation with the Digital Radio Planning Committee, has prepared a package of planning papers for the future development of DAB+ digital radio across Australia.

‘The commercial radio industry has indicated there are a significant number of regional licensees that have expressed interest in offering digital radio services in the next three to five years,’ said acting ACMA Chairman, Richard Bean. ‘The ABC has also announced its intention to commence new services in Darwin and Hobart.’

The ACMA is facilitating the digital radio rollout by preparing digital radio channel plans for Canberra, Darwin, Hobart and the Gold Coast. These plans will make frequencies available to broadcasters wishing to provide ongoing digital radio services in those areas. Details of the timing of commencement of digital radio in these markets will be determined by the broadcasters.

The Government asked the ACMA to facilitate the rollout of digital radio in regional areas where licensees make the commercial decision that they wish to offer the service. This is why the ACMA is relying on industry for advice about which markets have planning priority.

‘Agreeing to the planning principles and settling the initial rollout markets represents a significant milestone in the work of the committee. It’s a credit to the members who have worked collaboratively to resolve complex technical, policy and regulatory issues around the planning of regional digital radio services,’ Richard Bean added.

Backgrounder

Digital radio services, using DAB+ technology in VHF Band III spectrum, have been running on a permanent basis in the metropolitan areas of Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney since July 2009. DAB+ digital radio uses ‘multiplex’ transmitters. Unlike analog broadcasting, where each broadcaster has its own transmitter, in DAB+ digital, individual broadcasters aggregate or multiplex their content onto one or more multiplex transmitters, using digital compression technology.

Digital radio services are licensed, planned and operated under the provisions of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 and the Radiocommunications Act 1992. Amongst other things, the legislation sets the statutory basis for spectrum planning for digital radio, the allocation of digital radio multiplex transmitter licences and the access regime for multiplex transmitter capacity.

The Digital Radio Planning Committee
Following the release of the Digital Radio Report in July 2015 by the Department of Communications, the ACMA was asked by the Minister to establish a joint government-industry committee chaired by the ACMA that would, among other tasks, plan for the transition of the Canberra and Darwin trial digital radio services to permanent services as a matter of priority.

The Digital Radio Planning Committee for Regional Australia (the committee) was formed in September 2015 and is comprised of industry representatives from peak bodies Commercial Radio Australia and the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia, as well as the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the Special Broadcasting Service, the Department, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the ACMA.

The committee was also tasked with planning the rollout of digital radio in regional areas beyond Canberra and Darwin where industry indicates it is economically feasible to do so.

Commercial radio broadcasters, through their peak body CRA, have nominated ‘early mover’ markets where it may be economically feasible to rollout digital radio services within the next five years. Hobart, Gold Coast and the regularisation of the Canberra and Darwin trial services have been proposed as first-movers.

ACMA Media Release

1 Like

May also be of interest - has suggested frequencies for Gold Coast

Draft digital radio channel plans

Frequencies:

Gold Coast 1 9D (commercial)
Gold Coast 2 8B (ABC SBS)

Max 5kw

Darwin 1 9A
Darwin 2 9C

20kw

Hobart 1 9A
Hobart 2 9C

20kw

Surprised to see channel 8 in use for DAB on the Gold Coast since it is used by 9 in Brisbane. Surely there must be potential for interference. Channel 9 is currently unused in Brisbane.

Looking at the frequency allocated for 8B on the Gold Coast.

The frequency for 8B in the document is listed as 197.648 MHz. The current centre frequency for Channel 9 is 198.5 MHz.

Edit: discovered that the DAB channel numbers are different to the digital channels.

So the lowest frequency channel DAB channel is 5 that is on the digital TV channel 6. So DAB 8 = DTV 9.

Great news about Gold Coast. It was the logical next place for DAB given its population over 600,000 (much more during peak tourist times). Dissapointed Newcastle isn’t yet included as the next biggest city.

It’ll be great to have continuous DAB from north of Brisbane to the NSW border.

1 Like

The Gold Coast plan is only for the Gold Coast RA1 licences so Radio 97/FM104.1 misses out.

I thought digital radio was already operating in Darwin and Hobart?

Trial multiplex in Darwin with commercial stations only and on a different channel to above. Nothing in Hobart.