Digital Radio

Well done on getting Canberra DAB once again. A pity that I can’t do the reciprocal path to Mount Sugarloaf at this stage. Sydney DAB would regularly get into the Lake George (Gearys Gap) site where I was DXing yesterday. 102.1 Newcastle was in, as was 101.3 Gosford, but I didn’t bother to record them. Both were weak to fair but this was in the middle of the day.

3 Likes

Nice! I thought it might have been the Bush Heritage as the display looks similar. I have the Bush Heritage II.

3 Likes

Went down to Captains Flat this afternoon. Surprisingly, Canberra DAB (8D) was solid until exactly 10 km out of town, where the nearby hills block the LOS. There isn’t much reception after this point. In Captains Flat itself reception wasn’t possible apart from a small spot near the Molonglo River bridge; the signal must sneak through the gap in the hills. Even the analogue from Black Mountain is very noisy so I’m surprised DAB decoded at all.

I haven’t been up the other side of CF to Braidwood or Jerangle yet- will save that for when it’s a bit drier as these are gravel roads.

5 Likes

From 2UE’s website (link): a retune required after 10am on Monday

We’re making changes to ensure we bring you the Greatest Hits in the highest quality possible.

Leave the hard work to us. All you need to do is re-scan and rediscover 2UE on your DAB+ Radio after 10am on Monday, 17th August 2020 .

7 Likes

The reason for the retune is?

2 Likes

I’m sure we’ll find out on Monday, but I wonder if it’s something bitrate-related?

Considerably less likely but still possible, the 2UE/2CH DAB+ allocations swapping multiplexes.

4 Likes

They did change the station name to “2UE-954” a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

That’s a possiblity I raised a while ago, and would make sense. Could it be cheaper for Nine to operate their DAB+ stations if 2GB and 2UE are on the same multiplex, I wonder? The payments to the JV company wouldn’t change, but could the operational costs be cheaper somehow??

3 Likes

My guess they will get rid of NTS and it will become 128k. But you shouldn’t need to retune?

2CH doesn’t seem to have anything about the swap if it was the case. They would also advise the retune as they are big on DAB.

4 Likes

Well i am ready… Let us see… I never knowingly listen to a station whilst the bits changed. Hope I am online at 10am… given I can suddenly get phone calls. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well 2CH has swapped with 2UE. :slight_smile:.

2CH on 9a has no audio only 48 K :frowning:. We got SENTrack (48k) and SENVic (48k) .

2ue is still showing 2ch text lol. Glad Trevor is now on 2ue :slight_smile:. 2CH is displaying 2UE text.

NTS disappeared. I am surprised 2CH didn’t announce the change or did they?

They should of done this after hours at 1am or something.

Maybe 2ue can pick up some old grannies/grandpa , who do not know how to retune. I did not need to retune my Sangean 2CH is now 2ue :slight_smile:.

Edit: It keeps on switching back to 2ch for a few seconds here and there.

Below is 2ch “now playing” smoke on the water which playing on UE. No audio on 2CH yet.

They also had the SENTrack & SEN the wrong way round. Just drop audio maybe they are trying to fix.

Edit:

Now 2CH is back on 80K (still showing UE RDS text), SEN is 48 K but no audio.

Edit
Now SEN has audio with 48 K. I think it is SENtrack. I wish it was SEN normal. No offence horse racing lovers , I would rather normal SEN.

The question why would bother swapping? Just make 9A UE 128K ? I think it was before.

Edit
2CH is now glorious 48 K stereo again. Sounds horrible in my view. No sign of “SENTrack” which was SEN.

Edit
SENtrack is back (as SEN). SEN is SEN Track. I have dropped 2ch an email. I suggested to make the sports channels 32K and bring 2CH back up to 64k.

7 Likes

Niche Radio is also supposed to be coming on the 2CH allocation. So they’ll have to squeeze it in as well.

4 Likes

It’s swapped back to normal, though SEN TRack is now at the end of my station list. Maybe I need to rescan again?

2UE & 2CH on DAB still have their slideshows swapped, hopefully that will be fixed soon.

3 Likes

I think it is sloppy how the RDS text still appears for 2CH on 2UE in this day and age. They would be better off turning it off. Maybe I am having my grumpy old man syndrome coming out. :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Yes all fixed ! :slight_smile:

Meanwhile my slideshows as below.

1 Like

Wow, so yet another obscure media prediction of mine actually came true.

Amid all the multiplex changes for 2CH/2UE and the arrival of SEN/SENTrack in Sydney, has anyone noticed how NTS has gone off air?

Also surprised that Rete Italia (wasn’t that station supposed to pop up on Sydney DAB+ soon?) hasn’t come up on 9A as a result of these changes. Maybe that will happen if/when 2CH becomes part of radio history.

4 Likes

So is SEN VIC a simulcast of 1116 kHz in Melbourne?

1 Like

I think the version of SEN currently on Sydney DAB+ is the Victorian version going by this:

…although I haven’t listened long enough to confirm for sure. EDIT: Yep, it’s SEN 1116 with Melbourne ads.

Also as I type this, 2UE is currently dead air at 88bps - a sign that NTS may return? Either way, it’s fascinating to watch them (via the DAB+ software) figure out the multiplex change - at one point the slideshow filename info was coming through the DLS text while 2CH’s slideshow images were still running!

3 Likes

Why doesn’t 2CH get blasted into Melbourne on DAB+ in return?

It’d give 3MP a run for their money.

2 Likes

2ch has no rolling text now. 2ue still has 2ch text. Maybe they should just be called 2ch 954 am. Or just have message on 2ch please tune into 954 am for classic hits. So they can cut the cord.

3 Likes