Digital Radio

Interesting choice of ad tonight during MAFS on 9 Wollongong. It was for DAB+ and advertising a greater choice of radio stations now available (20+) Of course it was for SCA dab+ stations.

The ad was very misleading / deceptive, firstly it was showing someone tuning in on a clock dab+ radio. The reality is there is no dab+ radio in Wollongong, and there is not even a draft dab+ licence plan out yet for the region!!!

If you were to receive dab+ from Sydney it would not be receivable on a clock radio as shown in the ad. You would need a massive phased array vertical Polarised band three antenna in a favourable location with LOS towards Sydney.

Lastly future dab+ spectrum in Wollongong / Illawarra would go to Grant and Win who have fm stations in the region over SCA who have no radio licences only a tv station.

The ad would be fine in Sydney, and yes 9 Wollongong gets into most parts of Sydney ok, but 9 Wollongong is licence to Wollongong and the Illawarra. I feel sorry for anyone who goes out and buys a dab+ radio in this region only to find out the hard way that a scan pulls in no dab+ stations.

This ad needs to be pulled.

5 Likes

I stayed in an apartment hotel near WIN Entertainment Centre a few years ago, and got Sydney DAB OK on my Sangean with the telescopic antenna. I dare say the same can also be said for many north facing apartment buildings along the coastline.

But yes, they are in the minority and would be harder to get again on a clock radio which usually relies on a little wire antenna,

I thought you were going to say divorce lawyers until I realised what thread I was in!

5 Likes

I have received Dab+ in North Wollongong in the past too, but try getting it in Dapto, Albion Park, Nowra, Ulladulla where 9 Wollongong broadcasts to.

The ad should be promoting the Hit and Triple M app for a greater choice of radio stations to stream. It should not be promoting SCAā€™s stations on dab+ and stating they are now available when they are not for 99.99% of the viewing area.

4 Likes

Likely a scheduling/traffic error. SCA have made many of these blunders with their TV business, often observed by the keen contributors here.

6 Likes

Last night that ad was on in every ad break in MAFS and also appeared in breaks for 60 minutes.

SCA promoting their Dab+ stations, ,but you cannot mislead people of the region by telling them digital radio is available when it is not.

Thanks for clearing up the Illawarra and South Coast coverage areas.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind predicting that the Digital Radio ad shown on SCA Nine in the Illawarra last night was meant for any of Canberra, Hobart and/or Darwin - the three non-metropolitan markets where DAB+ does broadcast which SCA just also happen to have a TV presence in!

5 Likes

Although while SCA is on digital radio in Canberra and Hobart they arenā€™t in Darwin.

6 Likes

That makes sense most likely for 9 Canberra, and got aired on the 9 Wollongong by mistake.

I will watch Wollongong 9 instead of Sydney 9 for MAFS tonight and see if the ad airs again.

BTW I know wrong thread but I will ask anyway where does 9 Wollongong and 9 Canberra play out from?

3 Likes

I believe SCA TV playout is still in Canberra at the moment, but itā€™s expected to move to NPC Frenchs Forest (ie, where Nine & Seven are also played out from) later this year.

6 Likes

DAB+ Sydney: No time to post a pic yet, but 2GB Ben Fordham (BF) program has a new slideshow pic, just the one slideshow displaying BF pic & txt within graphic as Ben Fordham Live with the time slot hours of the program.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve fired up the tuner and have extracted it for you:

2GBSydneyDAB SlideshowFebruary2020

As the case is with the DAB+ slideshow on some stations, Iā€™d imagine that thereā€™s a different slide on 2GB during different programs/timeslots.

4 Likes

Thanks for that.

I noted there was a John Stanley slideshow showing at the start of the Michael McLaren program early this morning.
Also a slideshow for the Alan Jones program this morning (during his program), took a long while to appear, maybe the slideshows are very large graphic files?

Interesting thing is that there is no 2GB logo showing on any of the slideshows & no single additional 2GB slideshow image.
Maybe for the moment the same images are also being used for 4BC in Brisbane for their DAB+ platform?
Maybe someone from Brisbane can take a look?

4 Likes

2GBā€™s slides seem pretty quick to load, so maybe itā€™s just a case of them only having produced some for the main programs between 5.30am & midnight on weekdays? Who knows.

I also wonder if theyā€™ll bother to update the Dynamic Label text which still reads ā€œMissed an interview or the latest Macquarie National News?ā€ - thatā€™s slightly outdated now the radio bulletins are using the Nine News brand! :wink:

6 Likes

2UE DAB Song Info stuck on ā€œJet Airliner - Steve Miller Bandā€.

4 Likes

I did notice that yesterday when I was on my walk and yes DAB signals from Sydney can be received in many areas of the Southern Highlands not just the Gib.
Hopefully they would fix the song description to be in line with the playlist.

4 Likes

ā€˜Cause itā€™s here that Iā€™ve got to stayā€¦

7 Likes

I have sent an email 2ue let see if they will fix it.

4 Likes

Still no response, not fixed yet. Very lean station.

5 Likes

2UE might get rich with this music format, but itā€™s more likely theyā€™ll get busted. But I suppose youā€™ve got to go through hell before you get to heaven. The big (ratings) wheel keeps on spinning around; 2UE is going in with some hesitation, which any pundit can surely see.

There might be some funky sh*t that goes down in this city if 2UE does succeed.

10 Likes

How long did that take you to come up with? :joy::joy:

3 Likes