Digital Radio

Yeah, I didn’t think to check for the ABC stations!

I wil keep that in mind next time I am down there.

had NTS on in the car today to see if it had gotten any better. at 4:15 this afternoon they were running a news bulletin that was at least 24 hours (and i’d bet closer to 36) hours old.

now i know it’s a sunday but seriously… if it’s going to be that bad, your better off not running any news on weekends. i’ll check periodically though the week and see if it’s any better

Speaking of NTS last I checked it uses AAC-LC using EEP 4-A, instead of EEP 3-A. Its error checking is not as good. This was last I checked. When you are in border reception areas it’s worth seeing if NTS is OK.

1 Like

Hopefully after the Olympics, they get rid of those legacy “placeholder” station names.

Wish granted.

Time for a re scan for my radio

2 Likes

I am in HK, I brought a dab radio got about 14 stations. First time I got dab radio outside of Australia

4 Likes

Doing a search online for Digital Radio in Hong Kong, I came across an English language version of the website (Warning: Autoplaying/looping promo video that can’t be paused!) for what I guess is basically their equivalent of the “Digital Radio Plus” campaign that we have/had: http://www.digitalradio.gov.hk/en/basics/index.html

I’m not sure what they do in the way of multiplexing or bitrates, but I wonder how the quality of Digital Radio in Hong Kong compares to that here in Australia. Possibly higher quality audio (compared to Sydney where there’s about 18-20 stations per multiplex!) if they’re using more than one multiplex?

http://www.wohnort.org/dab/ is a reasonably good resource for that kind of thing - a bit out of date in some cases, but more complete than you’ll get elsewhere.

The Hong Kong page has most stations at 64kbps. The page mentions government regulations for music services being above 48kbps - but the UK has similar regulations, which have got weaker as time has gone on, defeating the purpose.

The BBC Premier League coverage is on ABC News Radio, 2RPH, 2000 and SBS Radio 4 in Sydney and is no doubt on some of the local community radio stations. EON Sports radio coverage is not exclusive as they claim it is.

1 Like

Yeah on the radio, I have for some reason I can’t tell the bit rate. However it does sound better than the dab in Sydney to my ears anyway. Now that magic sounds average.

I got around to testing out 702 ABC on DAB+ on the my car’s digital radio yesterday.

The reception does break up a bit on the ABC, so yes, seems like the Woy Woy / Umina area on the Central Coast does get some fill in coverage from the Bilgola repeaters for the commercial networks.

1 Like

WorldDAB has released its latest collection of sales and coverage figures for key markets in Europe and Asia Pacific to the end of Q2 2016. So how does Australia stack up?

1 Like

Thanks for posting that!

I find some of those Australian figures a bit hard to believe.

We certainly don’t have 94% of DAB+ road coverage.
Maybe 94% of metro areas, but not nationally.

And 2.5 million DAB+ radio sales?

1 Like

The 3rd DAB+ report for the year has been released: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_DAB-Digital-Radio-Report-3-2016.pdf

Coles Radio is the #1 DAB+ commercial station, followed by Buddha, The 80s, Classic Rock, Edge, OldSkool, Easy, Koffee, The 90s & NTS, rounding out the Top 10. In Sydney, The Edge is #1, whilst in Melbourne, Aussie is #1. Classic Rock is #3 in both Brisbane & Perth, whilst Triple M Modern Rock is #3 in Adelaide. In Perth, Buddha & Smooth took out #1 & #2 spots respectively.

In Sydney, Koffee is more popular than Buddha in the battle of the ‘chillout’ stations, in which the former is #3. In Brisbane, OldSkool is #2 behind Coles Radio.

1 Like

The future looks bleak for digital radio in Hong Kong. The local government granted digital audio broadcasting licences to Phoenix U Radio, DBC and Metro Radio in 2011. The rest of the spectrum was given to public broadcaster RTHK. U Radio closed in September last year after heavy financial losses, DBC surrendered its digital radio licence in August and Metro announced yesterday it was applying to return the licence as well. That will leave RTHK as the only digital radio broadcaster in the city. I can’t understand why analog and digital radio can’t co-exist in HK, just like Australia?

3 Likes

Have to wonder if some of that audience is listening via 96.1 FM, but it’s come up as digital in the survey.

3 Likes

and most parts of Melbourne including Pakenham and Geelong don’t have DAB+ coverage!

I wouldn’t expect Geelong to officially be covered by DAB+ since that is designed to only cover Melbourne metro (Geelong is a separate provincial market with its own commercial and community radio stations, though it does rely on Melbourne ABC radio coverage).

But that surprises me that Pakenham doesn’t get DAB+ coverage, particularly when My Switch indicates that they have ‘good coverage’ of Digital TV from Mt Dandenong.

Pakenham gets 3GG and 94.3 Star FM from Nearly Warragul easily, so what’s the Difference.

Was in Geelong recently, DAB working fine in the car. Live in the eastern suburbs, lots of drop outs.

There is a clear line of sight over the Bay to Geelong. The line of sight to Pakenham is somewhat obstructed by the Dandenong foothills around Emerald.