Digital Radio

Jeffmister - what city?

When I went to the tower at Winmalee (right next to it) it was not transmitting any SBS/ABC only the commercials. The ones on the northern beaches did but at lower power. My guess it is outside the lic area so they did not bother.

we listen to EASY in the car, it’s good to just relax to. And no ads is a bonus :smiley:

Cranbourne - Victoria

To answer @TheViewer’s question, I’ve only tried listening inside my house so far. With the commercial stations, I can walk around the house and listen to those stations without any dropouts with full reception. However when it comes to ABC & SBS stations, there’s only few spots where I can listen to them without dropouts.

1 Like

Go to this page and put the post code in, select Digital Radio then click on Melbourne.

Not so. In Melbourne the commercial stations broadcast from the ATV tower and the ABC/SBS from the ABV tower. The antenna array on the commercial side is at a much higher elevation than the ABC/SBS side.

I’m afraid you’re incorrect.

1 Like

I did that initially to see whether it was a reception limitation but that map shows I live in a ‘Secondary Coverage’ area

Which technically they say means you may need an external antenna IIRC.

I can’t find the app, can anyone tell me how to get it?

The latest Choice magazine contained their latest test of portable digital radios.

The main things the radios were scored on were listening, reception, ease of use, standby energy, battery life.

The top rated radio was

It scored best in reception and standby energy but other models scored better in the listening category. If the battery life or standby score don’t worry you many of the models scored well in the reception category than previous surveys as they had telescopic antennae.

Thanks for letting us know TV Cynic. Reception is the priority here where the DAB signal is weak. Can you name others that did well in that category?

There are two Pure Pop (mini and maxi) that are at the top of the recommended list and have great reception as well.

1 Like

iHeart Radio has FINALLY added “Now Playing” info its’ The 80s and The 90s DAB+ stations.

'Bout time.

Yes it took a while didn’t it. They also have “coming up next” which is good.

Having trouble with 774, RN and Grandstand since yesterday afternoon but only in the car. Commercial stations, JJJ and Double J all seem to work ok as does the digital radio in the house. Any ideas?

Still have Hopes Digital Radio will Expand into Regional Areas, How much Bandwidth they could Handle???

It needs to get into regional areas asap. At least places like Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sunshine Coast, Wollongong, Geelong.

1 Like

the ABC and community stations should get higher power on DAB+ at Mt Dandenong so that they can be received into Geelong and surrounds clearly. As Geelong is in the service areas of all Melbourne ABC stations and the community stations such as 3RRR, 3PBS and 3CR have plenty of subscribers in the Geelong and Surf Coast, and these stations are not considered as commercial competition to K Rock and Bay FM.

The community stations like 3RRR are Melbourne RA1 licensed, just like the commercial stations.

1 Like