Digital Radio

Has Dance Super Digi bit the dust?

No, it’s still on the air.

3 Likes

Because there is no imperative for them to do so - current broadcasting policy is basically non-existent and is basically framed around protectionism of incumbency.

In some respects there is a conflict with the regulators two arms, broadcasting and spectrum management are in many respects incongruous to each other

3 Likes

Oh so true.

1 Like

Now that my work car has a DAB me to. Currently away on hols and have been listening to KIX a bit also. Triple M country would be better is they employed some announcers in the key time slots. Love The Range and Nashville access

3 Likes

If you think DAB “Triple M Country” is good, the original 91.5FM Toowoomba transmission is even better as it is still programmed locally by David Burton and caters a lot to what people in the area like to listen to… I even give him some comments about the music when I see him in the hallway :grin:

2 Likes

MML should replace NTS with Magic easy classic/classic hits station

3 Likes

That’s good to know and hear!

I had automatically assumed it was the same log/feed as it is on digital radio in the metro markets.

So that’s not the feed that’s used for the digital metro station?

It was billed as a 24/7 version of R & B Fridays but I’m glad that Hits Urban is much more Hip Hop/rhythmic… much more KMEL than Power 106… nice variety with some ‘edginess’ (more so than the Edge).

Oh, how I miss this station! OMG had an awesomely obscure playlist, MMM Greatest Hits was ok as it’s replacement but it’s now a shadow of its former self.

Aussie Digital is also throughly missed, listened to it for about a month but enjoyed it until it got ridiculously replaced with a cheap simulcast of SEN.

1 Like

Yes I miss OMG too.

And GHD is a shadow of its former self. What have they done to it?

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a really good and unique station. I didn’t listen to it for extended periods of time, but usually if I put it on they’d be playing something I like.

I kinda think it’s something that the ABC should look into - my initial thought was to replace Triple J Unearthed with a broader Aussie music station playing occasional Unearthed tracks, but it seems to already have a strong listener base in its current format.

1 Like

No apparently not I remember hearing something about the DAB feed coming from Sydney but don’t quote me on that, would rather wait for someone from SCA to comment

1 Like

Here in Perth, Elf Radio, which replaced iHeartRadio The 80’s has finished and has been replaced with iHeartRadio The 90’s which we’ve never had on DAB+ here before.

The 90’s is quite a good listen, good variety of genres and few ads, compared to Old Skool Hits with a broader set of decades but much narrower genre (except for Awesome 80’s Thursdays which is pretty broad), and commercial FM levels of advertising. I like the change; thumbs up for ARN :grin:

Agreed. We don’t have Greatest Hits on DAB+ in Perth (probably too close to Mix 94.5) but when I’ve listened online it’s pretty repetitive. Clearly The Randomiser is stuck.

4 Likes

SCA is programming a new DAB+ digital radio automated music log station titled triple m aussie digital they are putting this to air January 26th just a quick heads up.

5 Likes

Found a press release:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jack, will be giving this a miss as I really don’t need to hear another flogged to death Cold Chisel track as long as I live.

5 Likes

Aye good one mate!
I don’t mind the sound of this…

Though I wonder what it will replace, or will the bit rates be cut to shreds on other stations to fit it in?

5 Likes

Well they’ve already all but killed Modern digital, so they may as well just replace it.

Hope the station lives up to the former Aussie Digital in Melbourne.