Digital Radio

Sorry, I misunderstood your post …

If Clive did pay for a political ad on 2gb would they take the money?

Yes - there was a segment on Media Watch

1 Like

They’ve probably all been seen before (with most dating back to 2015, except the Hadley one is slightly different/newer for some reason) but for what they’re worth…
2GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%231
2GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%2322GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%233
2GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%2342GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%235
2GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%2362GBSydneyDAB%20Slideshow%237

3 Likes

Yes - there was a segment on Media Watch

Thanks for that.

I did so happen to hear on 2GB ‘Ray’s Rant’ about Clive on day 1.
Ray was spot on with his concern that the Palmer ads would reduce listener-ship (with me at least) to his program. Since the adds began I have reduced my occasional listener-ship to Ray & Alan’s program. Whenever I hear Clive’s voice on 2GB I usually let slip an audible expletive & switch channels or mute the audio.
As ‘Media Watch’ put it; Money talks on commercial radio. Or as I’ll put it - ‘Money talks louder than Ray’. Kudos to Ray on this issue.

1 Like

Very interesting radio. I agree with Ray on this point. Clive I bet has enjoyed to stir he pot here.

2 Likes

That slideshow wonderfully illuminates 2GB as the home of angry, old(er), white men.

5 Likes

continuing from the discussion about newsradio in the abc local thread (background - newsradio do not broadcast parliament on DAB) is it time for a “parliment multiplex”? alot is already broadcast internally at parliament house and online.

it strikes me that the analogue newsradio model of broadcasting just 1 house is a bit outdated when we could put the whole lot on digital

4 Likes

That would make sense. C-SPAN FM Radio in Washington DC uses digital radio to have three HD streams with the Reps on HD2 and Senate on HD3.

1 Like

Not a bad idea. Maybe have one of the community multiplexes take state parliament?

1 Like

I think mostly because no one cares - and the tiny few that do can stream online.

I’d ditch the opt out on ABC News radio digital, because I don’t think the ABC should invest in that replacement programming for such a small audience, but they shouldn’t expand their service - it’d be a waste of bandwidth.

On the TV multiplex having parliament audio feeds wouldn’t be much of a burden, but it’s still not really something many people would want/need.

2 Likes

Parliament was on Digital 44 television in Sydney before ACMA shut it down.

2 Likes

The Final Five-Year Spectrum Outlook 2018-22 has been released last week, which you can see here: https://www.acma.gov.au/-/media/Spectrum-Review-Implementation-Taskforce/Issue-for-comment/IFC-12-2018/Five-year-spectrum-outlook-2018-22-docx.docx?la=en

The key points on the document relevant to this thread include:

• Further consider whether variations to the Brisbane digital radio channel plan are appropriate to improve digital coverage (Q2 2018-19; ie. Oct-Dec 2018)

• Following completion of digital radio allotment planning, consult on a variation to the Canberra digital radio channel plan that would allow a power increase (Q1 2018-19; ie. before the end of this month)

• Complete engineering and consult on over 15 new digital radio channel plans for the next-mover DAB+ markets (Q2 2018-19)

1 Like

talk about a slow boat to China…

3 Likes

Heard SBS Chill playing for the first time in a retail store today. Was a great choice and suited the environment.

1 Like

To what ERP?

Which are what? And will it result in digital radio for the Gold Coast?

I’m on mobile, so can’t open the document right now, love to know these answers, thanks!

20kW.

The document didn’t specify on both.

2 Likes

Thanks @TV-Expert. 20kW is what Capital, ABC and SBS requested.

If this is OD, signal in distant locations ie. the many high ridges will be very well received.

I wonder how well in the river valleys of Jugiong and Yass?

Boorowa, already receiving Canberra digital with the meagre ERP will benefit.

Be nice if ACMA had actually listed them

4 Likes

Next 15 biggest markets?