Digital Radio

Yes, I think of DAB Radio as the radio equivalent of what digital TV is compared to analogue.

Both use transmitters on a tower, DAB uses channels at approx 200-204mhz in the VHF spectrum whereas FM is 88-108 mhz.

But reception is as with digital TV, it’s “all or nothing”, reception can go from perfect full quality stereo to nothing in an instant, whereas FM just picks up static or drops to mono.

2 Likes

Ditto to everything @Radiohead has said.

Like digital TV, DAB+ stations are broadcast as part of a ‘multiplex’. For instance, in Melbourne all of the ABC’s digital TV channels are broadcast on one signal - VHF channel 11 12. The ABC and SBS digital radio stations share a single multiplex - VHF channel 9C.

What this means is that broadcasters can fit a number of services into a smaller amount of bandwidth. At present, there are three multiplexes in most capital cities (two in Perth) with 62 DAB+ stations on air in Melbourne currently.

Most broadcasters will simulcast the feed from their FM stations on the DAB multiplexes - the same way that they also stream their feeds online, or via other delivery platforms (digital TV, VAST, Foxtel etc.)

There are a few exceptions to this - in Melbourne, SYN Media operates one service on their 90.7FM frequency, and a separate service (SYN Nation) on DAB+. This is because stations are only allotted a certain amount of bandwidth - in case of community stations, 64kbps for each analogue license.

To fit more stations in, broadcasters either need to buy more bandwidth (as SCA and ARN have, most notably) or lower their audio quality. LightFM does this to simulcast their 89.9FM service alongside the ‘LightDigital’ DAB+ service.

1 Like

Thanks. Thanks also to @AustralianAerial, but say when you are travelling north in the car from Melbourne how far can you go with Melbourne’s Digital Radio Stations until the audio quality goes from 100-0 ?

VHF-12 actually. VHF-11 is the Network Ten multiplex, remember?

Yeah, Sydney used to have FBi Click in the past with different content to the main 94.5FM service but that has since ended in favour of simulcasting the FM service again. The only community broadcaster to run different programming on Sydney DAB+ these days is Hope Media, with their “Inspire Digital” and (seasonal, on different multiplex since the FM station simulcast started or resumed AFAIK) “Hope Christmas” channels in addition to the main Hope 103.2 station.

Sydney is possibly the only market where all community stations are available on analogue and digital in contrast to Brisbane (I think) where all/most community broadcasters run different streams on DAB+ to their AM or FM services.

There’s also ABC Local Radio, who have their main AM stations and a DAB+/satellite/online feed with alternative programming in place of sports coverage! Triple M Sydney have very occasionally run Sydney AFL games on 104.9FM and NRL coverage (temporarily switching the feed running on Sydney DAB+ to Triple M Brisbane for the duration of the football) in the past, although I’m unsure if they still do this.

…although despite buying more bandwidth, it’s probably fair to say that both SCA (who used to have 2DayFM and Triple M in decent quality before adding more DAB+ only stations) and ARN have rather ordinary quality DAB+ stations.

In my personal opinion, the best quality stations on DAB+ here in Sydney are currently 2CH, 2GB (128kbps) and Nova 96.9 (112kbps). The 80kbps, 72kbps and 64kbps stations all sound reasonable enough, but you can probably get higher sound quality on FM or online streaming for most of the stations on DAB+ with less than 64kbps.

3 Likes

Clearly not :stuck_out_tongue: Have edited the original post.

I’m not entirely sure, as I don’t have a car with a DAB+ set up. I suspect that you’d struggle north of Wallan and Broadford; if you can’t get FM then you definitely won’t pick up DAB+.

Oh ok so DAB doesn’t go further than FM

No. The general rule is that the higher the frequency, the higher the transmitter power required to cover that area.

For that reason, there’s an infill transmitter out at Bacchus Marsh, and I believe one in the CBD. See post #2002 in this thread for more about the repeaters

Edit: from the regulatory report - infill repeater transmitters in Melbourne

Site Operational date
101 Collins Street, Melbourne 17 May 2012
Bacchus Marsh, Melbourne 26 March 2014
Fisherman’s Bend, Melbourne 4 September 2014
Werribee, Melbourne 4 May 2016
4 Likes

Ok, also why wasn’t Urban Hits included in the latest DAB ratings?

Urban Hits launched on July 2, and thus was only on air during the second survey period: July 15 - August 18. From memory, it was the same when Triple M Country launched; it will be included in the next full survey.

2 Likes

Ok thanks

Though in some areas it does (technically).

DAB is 50kw vertical in all metro markets omni directional too I think, whereas in Brisbane for instance the commercial FM stations are only 12kw mixed (6kw horizontal and 6kw vertical).

And digital has better propagation thorough the atmosphere.

But due to the “all or nothing” situation with digital, it’s much easier to get some form of FM reception than with digital in fringe areas.

3 Likes

From Brisbane you get clear DAB reception in the car approximately 70-80km north and south from the CBD, roughly the same as clear FM reception. I assume Melbourne would be the same.

1 Like

On the Hume? Once you go over the Great Divide. Calder, it’s north of Gisborne however it is patchy in Kyneton. What other roads do you want to know of? I’ve been on most.

No. Adelaide has a severe null towards Murray Bridge but reception is fine to beyond Tailem Bend.

Brisbane is a total dog’s bfast due to pre restack DTV services co-channeled that the radio licences of adjacent markets and Brisbane are still locked in an impasse with no leadership from ACMA.

There are others, Janet whined, whinged and threatened blocking so a null was prescribed for Melb towards Geelong which has created problems in the descent arc to the null.

Correct, and more in some cases.

2 Likes

Maybe the Western towards Ballarat, as I know FM reception is perfect most of the way to Ballan but after that…

Same with digital, reach the top of the climb out of Melbourne and the reception begins to cut in and out. No good at all on the Creswick road from Ballan either.

You will receive snatches of digital west of Ballan when on high ridges, in Ballarat on same such as Walker St where the BTV studios were.

I’m in shock! The DJ on 4KQ this afternoon said “You can listen to us on 693 AM, iHeart radio and on DAB+ digital radio”. Digital rarely gets a mention on 4KQ.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard them mention DAB+ over the last couple of weeks. But yes before that hardly at all!

Better late than never I guess…

2 Likes

2GB have finally restored their revolving slideshow imagery to their DAB+ service.

I issue this warning & caveat to occasional listeners reading this post who haven’t tuned in to 2GB for a while & are tempted to do so to view the slideshow images. Whilst listening you may be subject to regular Clive Palmer advertising on this station & I am not responsible for any resultant anguish or annoyance this may cause you or in worst case the damage to your DAB radio when you threw a boot at it whist listening to Clive Palmer’s United Australia Party advertisement. Thank you.

2 Likes

That advertising must be dirt cheap considering how few people will actually see those slides.

No advertising on the slides. Just weekday program promos & station logo.