Digital Radio

I only got a DAB radio just prior to launch, so missed out on those early tests. I do recall 2GB and others testing MP2; I think 2GB was running 192 kpbs.

I think the Triple M stable of DAB stations use higher bitrates for their webstreams- a conspiracy to hasten the demise of DAB?

1 Like

SCA’s metro and DAB stations stream at 32kbps and 128kbps AAC - a few of their regionals are stuck at 32k I believe

6 Likes

Went up to Oberon today and had the Sangean DPR-34 pocket radio with me. I forgot my earphones so reception was just with the included (diminutive) whip.

Sydney DAB was just audible with a stable signal from the Lions Club lookout (tx site for 2BS 105.5). The mandatory trip to Shooters Hill (1353 m) was made; surprisingly reception was only marginally better there at a stable 1/5 bars.

I forgot to try Canberra DAB at Shooters Hill, which may be possible, particularly on an in-car unit. Tropo conditions were rock bottom so I doubt it would have been there today.

3 Likes

In the latest Aldi catalogue.

3 Likes

Tempted to get that. Only issue is the poor number of presets and lack of AUX.

1 Like

There’s portable DAB+/FM radios on sale at K-Mart for $24.

USB Powered and charges built-in battery for up to 9 hours use.

3 Likes

I’ve received Sydney digital in the car in the Main Street.

Canberra would likely be possible from Shooters. I received it on many high points after climbing out of the Lachlan River valley.

1 Like

I’ve had it briefly here near Newcastle, so I would say YES to that.

1 Like

I took a squiz at that one. Has most of the same issues I’ve identified with the Aldi one, except it’s $15 cheaper. No AUX, poor number of presets and no Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Permanent transmission of commercial DAB+ services in Darwin has commenced today: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/commercial-radio-stations-darwin-now-broadcasting-permanently-digital-dab

5 Likes

My head is spinning at how fast this DAB roll-out is…

6 Likes

CRA doesn’t have correct details of the names of its members:

http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/latest-news/2019-(1)/commercial-radio-in-darwin-now-broadcasting-perman

@4TAB-1008kHz, you may notice the error.

Indeed.

The tiny Mandurah market will be on air before the Gold Coast and Newcastle (sixth and seventh largest population centres, two largest non metros).

Gold Coast will be lucky to be on air before 2021.

3 Likes

I know! It only took 10 years to venture out of the capitals incl Darwin.

3 Likes

As previously discussed here many times, a number of markets are complex to adequately service (taking into account technical, commerical and ‘political’ issues) so I’m not surprised that a few smaller markets have popped up before larger ones - this allows the industry to hit some “low hanging fruit” demonstrating expansion while working on resolving complex ones

A smart move from the industry if they want a funding injection - not a great look if your a punter

4 Likes

And that’s surprising how?

Here’s some mail… Racing Radio will disappear from Darwin Digital very shortly.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s not at all surprising.

That’s a shame, it’s been a good use of spectrum to fill up what’s available in contrast to Adelaide where it’s jam packed.

I like that of the “three extra” stations on Darwin DAB - two of them are already on analogue radio.

Darwin digital radio will only get interesting once the community stations have access - if it’s a viable path for them to experiment, Territory FM could do interesting things. But is there any indication they’d bother?

Any progress on that in Hobart?

2 Likes

What examples of audio processors do DAB+ stations use? I’m sure it’s a mix of solutions, but do they generally have separate processing to their FM signal?

4 Likes

Just heard an ad on Star 104.5 advertising Pure digital radios for mothers day… I guess Pure has no idea that they’re advertising in the wrong market?

4 Likes