Digital Radio

A DAB+ station in Sydney (for technical reasons, I presume) that previously ran a rebroadcast of Triple M, but is currently running 40kbps of absolutely nothing!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see how it does in the ratings.

5 Likes

reminds me of the night Seven went black in Melbourne…

When was that?

This is going to get interesting very quick now :stuck_out_tongue:

from memory it was a Wednesday during Blue Heelers - it could have been in the early days of BCM - our resident historian @TelevisionAU might recall

2 Likes

I think u are right about the Blue Heelers part but the rest i don’t recall.

I do remember 7 Perth went off air one night during 7 News. The ratings didn’t budge apparently. That’s loyalty.

EDIT: @SydneyCityTV has found it out: General TV History - #2037 by SydneyCityTV

2 Likes

The power transformer on my Sangean DPR-67 has carked it.

I have another Jaycar one that I am using, but it’s one of those ones with the interchangeable pins (to plug into the radio) but it’s very sensitive and the unit will switch off if I try and move it much.

Luckily I bought a new Sony radio one not long ago, so I will be using that one mostly from now on.

1 Like

Are the 2ue and 2sm networks off air?

Edit yes confirmed by George Moore. He implied it was a telstra issue without saying it. Seems a bit unustable the link. Hope when they fix it, it fixes fun,1sm etc. I cannot really listen to those stations anymore because of the drop outs.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more… It’s a shame because FUN for me is quite a good listen otherwise…

I’m surprised that 2UE (Lifestyle) is affected too… I’ve never heard any glitches on that DAB station.

No glitches on 2ue just off air this morning. I think its fixed now. I am not near a radio though.

Yes, I checked this afternoon and 2SM and 2UE Lifestyle are back on DAB.

However, the dreaded glitches are still there for the 2SM group of stations.

I’m glad it’s not just me experiencing dropouts on Bill’s stations.

I’ll be in Brisbane and other parts of SEQ later this week; I’ll see how far north, south, and west DAB+ from Mount Cooties goes.

1 Like

I have received Brisbane DAB at ground level at Hope Island.

And in the high rises at Surfers Paradise.

From the DAB joint venture companies annual report 2015/16. Obviously the Sutherland repeater missed the expected date.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20423910_10209750543384852_1372575977404292093_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b3a73f4d8cce4f28b7e9c39e69cac156&oe=5A03A6E2

1 Like

Sutherland?

That’s interesting… I always thought that area had a pretty good line of sight to the Sydney TXs…?

1 Like

I think that Kellyville, Parklea, Rouse Hill area needs a repeater. Some pockets around the Georges River can have issues.

2 Likes

Trip to Harvey Norman today and the shelves looked like they had just been stacked with DAB compatible radios. More than 20 different models with lots of stock; looked like new model range for some brands. A couple of micro-component units I hadn’t seen before as well as the radios.

4 Likes

My experience with DAB+ in SEQ is that it’s very good “north-south”. I get continuous and perfect reception in the car from the Caloundra exit in the north to Dreamworld at Coomera in the south. A few dropouts in the bayside suburbs and I’ve heard it’s a little pit patchy in Ipswich in the west.

2 Likes

i am in the western suburbs and loose reception at forrest lake - so not even ipswitch. my parents live on an island in the bay and get DAB at there house fine

part of the problem is that brisbane is extremely hilly and DAB doesn’t like hills. i lose reception out front of ANZ stadium in kessels road for example due to the big hills there

I’m on the northern side of the Georges River; DAB is strong enough here, though I do experience some drop outs in nearby gullies. This is the first I’ve heard of a Sutherland repeater- if it gets to air; I will be in its direct line of sight.