Digital Radio

TACO is now dead air in Sydney.

Whatā€™s TACO?

A DAB+ station in Sydney (for technical reasons, I presume) that previously ran a rebroadcast of Triple M, but is currently running 40kbps of absolutely nothing!

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to see how it does in the ratings.

5 Likes

reminds me of the night Seven went black in Melbourneā€¦

When was that?

This is going to get interesting very quick now :stuck_out_tongue:

from memory it was a Wednesday during Blue Heelers - it could have been in the early days of BCM - our resident historian @TelevisionAU might recall

2 Likes

I think u are right about the Blue Heelers part but the rest i donā€™t recall.

I do remember 7 Perth went off air one night during 7 News. The ratings didnā€™t budge apparently. Thatā€™s loyalty.

EDIT: @SydneyCityTV has found it out: General TV History - #2037 by SydneyCityTV

2 Likes

The power transformer on my Sangean DPR-67 has carked it.

I have another Jaycar one that I am using, but itā€™s one of those ones with the interchangeable pins (to plug into the radio) but itā€™s very sensitive and the unit will switch off if I try and move it much.

Luckily I bought a new Sony radio one not long ago, so I will be using that one mostly from now on.

1 Like

Are the 2ue and 2sm networks off air?

Edit yes confirmed by George Moore. He implied it was a telstra issue without saying it. Seems a bit unustable the link. Hope when they fix it, it fixes fun,1sm etc. I cannot really listen to those stations anymore because of the drop outs.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree moreā€¦ Itā€™s a shame because FUN for me is quite a good listen otherwiseā€¦

Iā€™m surprised that 2UE (Lifestyle) is affected tooā€¦ Iā€™ve never heard any glitches on that DAB station.

No glitches on 2ue just off air this morning. I think its fixed now. I am not near a radio though.

Yes, I checked this afternoon and 2SM and 2UE Lifestyle are back on DAB.

However, the dreaded glitches are still there for the 2SM group of stations.

Iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me experiencing dropouts on Billā€™s stations.

Iā€™ll be in Brisbane and other parts of SEQ later this week; Iā€™ll see how far north, south, and west DAB+ from Mount Cooties goes.

1 Like

I have received Brisbane DAB at ground level at Hope Island.

And in the high rises at Surfers Paradise.

From the DAB joint venture companies annual report 2015/16. Obviously the Sutherland repeater missed the expected date.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20423910_10209750543384852_1372575977404292093_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b3a73f4d8cce4f28b7e9c39e69cac156&oe=5A03A6E2

1 Like

Sutherland?

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ I always thought that area had a pretty good line of sight to the Sydney TXsā€¦?

1 Like

I think that Kellyville, Parklea, Rouse Hill area needs a repeater. Some pockets around the Georges River can have issues.

2 Likes

Trip to Harvey Norman today and the shelves looked like they had just been stacked with DAB compatible radios. More than 20 different models with lots of stock; looked like new model range for some brands. A couple of micro-component units I hadnā€™t seen before as well as the radios.

4 Likes

My experience with DAB+ in SEQ is that itā€™s very good ā€œnorth-southā€. I get continuous and perfect reception in the car from the Caloundra exit in the north to Dreamworld at Coomera in the south. A few dropouts in the bayside suburbs and Iā€™ve heard itā€™s a little pit patchy in Ipswich in the west.

2 Likes