Digital Radio - Technical

nice bitrates for the music stations. Don’t think ill need FM again with some of these good stations. they sound great.

3 Likes

48 kbps is OK, but i think FM still sounds better at that rate … 64 kbps would be about even… Beyond 64, DAB probably has the edge sound quality wise.

2 Likes

Im thinking of the music stations all of which are 72kbps this morning. except for classic at 120k, which sounds great

3 Likes

That’s pretty good!

Always liked SBS pop asia too, nice to have that local now

1 Like

Hi @Parex11 . Do you have the SId of the new Gold Coast DAB+ ABC/SBS stations?
If they commence with digit 4 or 2 I ‘may’ have to populate the RDS List with these codes in the PI code worksheet to help avoid possible future RDS/DAB+ frequency switching problems.

1 Like

At 48kbps Nova and Smooth sound better than their FM counterparts and even some of the 32kbps stations sound close or as good as FM (Coles Radio, KIIS 90s for example). It depends on how well they are set up technically.

88kbps is the gold standard for DAB (ABC Jazz, 4BH a decade ago). 120kbps for ABC Classic is overkill IMO.

1 Like

96 kbps is (still) used by Coast FM and The Wave from Mandurah DAB+. It sounds great (subtle lows and crisp highs, no warbling or distortion). West Coast Radio have been quite keen to go for quality over quantity (if not they wouldn’t have bothered with setting up the Mandurah DAB+ given there are all of 4 stations on the Mandurah DAB+!).

3 Likes

Abc Jazz is 88kbps right now

1 Like

The channels

5 Likes

Yes, it’s the same as Syd, Mel, Bris, Ade and Perth.

1 Like

Doesn’t appear as though ‘DAB Player’ displays the SId of radio stations on DAB+. :thinking:
Welle-io & QIRX does.

1 Like

Interesting that Classic is AAC-LC and the rest are a mixed of HE-AACv1 and V2
Not sure why they wouldn’t make them all HE-AACv2

3 Likes

Probably because of the high bit rate. Using HEAAC over 64k is basically not worth it.

3 Likes

I think you’d also really notice SBR on classical content. It’s in general one of the formats that gets decent treatment - Classic FM and BBC Radio 3 in the UK are generally spared from the worst bitrates.

3MBS sounds good at 64k for me though, but maybe there’s some content that they play where it is worse than FM.

HE-AACv1 - which is effectively just joint stereo - is probably a safer bet, but maybe there’s content where the stereo separation does suffer with a joint stereo program, but that’s not something I know much about, especially not the difference between Joint Stereo as it was done in MP2, and the ‘Parametric Stereo’ HE-AAC has.

2 Likes

Any chance you can get the ensemble ID and if there’s any TII code being broadcast @TV.Cynic ? Just so I can get it added to the DABLIST data used in the QIRX software (so it shows the transmitter location).

2 Likes

Speaking of stereo (or not), I was browsing a UK forum on the topic of DAB+ and apparently some of the music stations are mono. Some forum members were actually defending these stations, claiming most people wouldn’t even notice nor care about music being in mono. This is why we can’t have nice things.

3 Likes

Just like listening to AM radio :joy:

1 Like

If it’s a station that plays predominantly 1960s British music then they wouldn’t notice. Most of that was in mono and bands like the Rolling Stones refused to re-release it in stereo.

Apologies if already answered. I’m up on the GC, didn’t bring my DAB radio with me but I have the Tiny SA with me. No trace of the ABC test at 8.06am. Is it only on at certain times?

1 Like