Digital Radio - Technical

I definitely do keep in mind the net bitrate. Some years ago now (on the old forum) I first posted the link to that German DAB+ Player for Windows that is being used regularly these days. I remember the debate about exactly how much of the reported bitrate was actually being allocated for the audio. I guess that software answers a lot of questions, although I do still wonder is “27kbps” is really 27, or if only increments of 8kbps (or 4kbps) can be used. I guess it doesn’t matter much either way.

xHE-AAC really is the solution to the “metallic” effect, so I could easily tolerate it at a half-decent bitrate, but that’s not going to happen.

And I still have the old Sangean in operation…must be around 15 years old now. I think it’s even starting to turn yellow.

4 Likes

@melb_mateyy0 Is this in use anywhere in the word yet by broadcasters for DAB+?
Thanks for the interesting read & research.
Yeah I’m also one that notices the metallic hollow treble sound too.

1 Like

From my understanding, it won’t ever work with DAB+, for technical reasons.

xHE-AAC is backwards compatible, but HE-AAC decoders (DAB+ for example) cannot handle xHE-AAC.

I have no experience with DRM, but from what I’ve read, it will be a part of DRM30 and DRM+. I also read that all modern DRM receivers will work with xHE-AAC, and very old models that don’t can likely receive a firmware upgrade.

Sounds like with DRM you can be kept up-to-date with the latest, whereas with DAB+, you’re forever stuck with what you’re given.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t make that assumption. Consumer electronics can be kept up-to-date as long as the vendor or chipset manufacturer is willing to support it. Other limitations may be hardware capability. Older hardware but not have the CPU power to decode a newer codec too.

2 Likes

Have it on good authority today that ABC Gold Coast DAB will be fully on air on May 15th. Maybe some earlier testing.

So keep a watch. I will be

7 Likes

Thank you @Parex11 , a very welcome day indeed, well overdue for Australia’s sixth largest city.

Thanks especially to the many engineers who have made this happen.

5 Likes

ABC Sport seems to unintentionally confirm this is the case. As their online guide for dates beyond May 15th mentions Gold Coast under “ABC SPORT digital radio” for all the NRL matches that week.

4 Likes

nice catch

Can’t get anything past MediaSpy Members :wink:

4 Likes

But… you already knew that, right? :grin:

1 Like

5 Likes

Haha i claim first knowledge hahaha… although someone here did tell me hahahaha

4 Likes

ABC Digital Gold Coast on 8B; signal level is significantly lower than commercials & community multiplex as received at my location in Brisbane.

Playing a test tone.

CU Allocation

6 Likes

Noticed the audio is MP2, is it running in DAB mode instead of DAB+ ?

1 Like

Yep the test was in DAB only mpeg 2 is dab from 1995 Euro Standard

4 Likes

Remembered to try at an elevated spot in Coomera around 10:30pm Monday.

Glad I was only driving through, god forsaken as it is, no signal at all.

1 Like

It went off air about 5pm

1 Like

Just popped back on again this morning briefly.

19 services just now popped up on the 8B multiplex for ABC Gold Coast. Includes ABC GC and Brisbane both 48 kbit/s. Also includes SBS. Suite of channel sis the same as ABC/SBS Brisbane plus the extra ABC local channel.

Signal is about 30% higher than yesterday but still below the commercials.

Signal went off air after the brief test.

Slide Show

3 Likes

ABC local radio has dynamic text with song title and is in stereo for local programming at least.

5 Likes