Digital Radio - Technical

Back now, they must have paid the bill … haha

3 Likes

Is anyone in Sydney having issues receiving Multiplex 9A?

The work truck is unable to receive / scan in multiplex 9A. Multiplexes 9B and 9C are being received perfectly.

4 Likes

I’ve had it on WS 80s today with no problems. Not sure if this is 9A.

2 Likes

Was it a Mazda? My Mazda use to have trouble scanning after a factory reset. I think the Mazda BT-? was a rebadged ford so maybe not.

2 Likes

It is a Fuso truck, I did check at home on my home hifi and all stations where fine.

It was the trucks radio at fault.

1 Like

Yeah Mazda had a similar issue I think my model was 2017. It will work eventually but it use to drop out without reception issues. It was a glitch or it would “crash”. 9C was the only channel that was ok, never any issues.

I suspected it was to do with the different error corrections used confused the radio where 9C was more uniformed as the ABC/SBS were all on 3A. Pure Speculation. As like your example 9B or 9A was scanned in ok first go or neither. I did do lots of factory resets and firmware updates (from different regions) but I think it was hardware related.

2 Likes

I suspect it would be something along those lines. Today in my travels I could actually see the Artarmon tower, but multiple scans failed to scan in 9A channels. That is why I suspected a transmission fault.

2 Likes

I recall i was in LOS of the towers with similar issue and I did try to bring this issue to Mazda. They didn’t help me… It became too hard and I sold the car after 1 year as I needed a bigger car. Not sure if a “DAB” radio that is flakey is considered a major fault for a car. I think not (but for me it was).

5 Likes

Some issues with Brisbane DAB this morning. 4BC and 4BH off air then back but no audio for 4BH.

2 Likes

They’re on 9B, so not that.

I had the same problem for a few days, so I don’t think it was just you. The signal quality was being reported as 100% so I wondered whether they were transmitting in a format or specs that my (now fairly old) DAB+ capable mini-system got confused about.

There does appear to be some fiddling with the 2KY slot’s channel names; at least the short names - both for Sky Sports Radio itself and for Niche (now showing as “SSR” instead of “SkySprt1” and “Niche 01/Niche 02” instead of “Niche1/Niche2”).

But it wasn’t everything on 9A for me - SEN is on 9A as well and that was working AOK for me, but Sky and Niche were off air. Maybe they made mistakes in changing that, hopefully your car radio wasn’t rejecting the whole multiplex because of that.

Can confirm it’s working correctly for me today…

4 Likes

9A multiplex should have been working & tuneable, but it may have been breaking up a bit over the last week or 2, 2KY/Sky Racing had issues with their Studio Multiplexer, that was playing havoc with the Transmission Multiplexer & would’ve at times been taking everyone on 9A off air.

It shouldn’t have stopped you being able to scan & receive the 9A mux, but anythings possible with DAB, it’s so complex & any transmission hiccup could stuff certain receivers for unknown or unforeseen reasons.

Also depends what transmission site you were receiving from, there have been some sporadic issues over the last week with the alternate Stream on the microwave link from Artarmon to Winmalee/Mt Badgally, which may have been dropping out 9A & occasionally 9B from those 2 sites?

6 Likes

Also a possibility in my case, given I’m likely to be picking up my digital radio from Mount Badgally/Gregory Hills in all likelihood. Thanks.

4 Likes

I had the same work truck today that could not scan Sydney Mux 9A stations earlier this week. Did a rescan this morning at Rouse Hill and all 9A stations rescanned in. All working fine now.

6 Likes

Seem to be having issues with the Gold Coast DAB signal this afternoon. Brisbane there, but the gold coasts are giving a no signal message. They crashed earlier for a while too.

Edit: Back Now missing SCA

Edit 2: SCA back but jittery, Hot Tomato Unaffected

6 Likes

SCA handle the engineering of the Gold Coast multiplex.

Not the first time this has happened on the Gold Coast, @Parex11 has posted previously.

As a new service with new equipment, have to question why this is happening? Other sites have commenced with continuous service.

The three community stations are in for an interesting ride when they begin on digital.

2 Likes

Hot Tomato’s Engineers told me its them that handle it and the link is on their station. I wonder who does and doesnt do what these days

3 Likes

With all the ownership changes perhaps there are no engineers left and that’s the actual problem?
Only insiders would know.

3 Likes

David Crane remains at Hot Tomato. 20 years service coming up.

3 Likes

Correct

2 Likes

ABC radio Brisbane in proper stereo on DAB this morning. Previously has been stereo signal but only mono music. Heard U2’s With or Without You in full stereo.

7 Likes