Digital Radio - Technical

The Gold1043 one makes a small amount of sense to put it directly under Fox, but with the 2 KIIS ones right next to each other, makes no sense at all other than to mirror the Gold ones.

They would have been better off putting a space between Gold and 104.3 to put it under Fox.

2 Likes

Nine Radio bitrates have been flipped in Brisbane. On Wednesday, 4BC was 96kbps, Ace managed 4BH 48kbps.

On Thursday, 4BC now 48kbps, 4BH 96kbps.

NTS still taking up 48kbps. Total waste, Pauline Hanson interviewed by Liam Bartlett on air at time of writing.

Error protection remains 2A.

Nine would do well to reduce NTS to 16kbps using the codec Nova do for their 16kbps Coles stations and move to error protection 1A with BC and BH at 56kbps apiece.

Seeing the impressive comparison of Gold Coast DAB+ at 3A, 2A and 1A; 1A is a significant improvement in using more of the available signal.

6 Likes

I noticed the improved audio from 4BH yesterday. I also think that the processing of the tweaked a couple of weeks earlier as well just after the previous bit rate change happened. Prior to that I found the DAB sound very unpleasant with too much high frequency and little basss.

4 Likes

It makes so much sense to have changed it to this, particularly with the content been Music

5 Likes

It’s the same in Sydney, with 2GB now on 48kbps & 2UE on 96kbps.

Still in Sydney, KIIS & WSFM has increased its bitrate to 56kbps (previously 48kbps).

5 Likes

So you would think ACE radio will be launching a second station on 48kbs EEP-2A. Hopefully Magic or possibly a networking of Edge FM/ Coast/ Mixx.

It’s nice to have at least one high quality station - there’s enough 48k music out there.

5 Likes

Yeah I agree, I’d have no more music stations just maintain the quality of audio.

3 Likes

Yep and there’s little to gain adding an Edge/Coast/Mixx/TR style station in metro.

Magic on Sydney DAB could work though.

4 Likes

It would benefit them by expanding the regional network into the 3 largest metro markets, increasing revenue and audience share and having a networked breakfast and drive show.

Absolutely. It would complement 2UE which is more easy-listening.

1 Like

It’s an already over crowded DAB market with similar sounding digital stations already on offer from ARN, SCA and Nova. I don’t think Ace could compete on DAB+ alone with a metro CHR format.

4 Likes

Yea maybe if 2ue was on FM but AM music stations should be as high of a bit rate as possible on DAB.

More dab stations isn’t always the answer in my view. Focus on one excellent station with extra effort on the playlist and empowering the person with some autonomy and control and say over the music on their show should be the future of commercial music radio.

3 Likes

Here in Perth if you are lucky enough to find a sweet spot in your home to pick Mandurah DAB+ you get 96 kbps for both their top40 (Coast) and classic/gold hits (Wave) station. On my hifi it sounds very crisp and clean (same as CD), whereas the lower bit rate Perth DAB+ commercial stations are all over the place, some have very (too) “good” bass and treble (Coles Radio on 32 kbps!), probably processed to sound that way; others sound muddled, too soft or loud.

4 Likes

Good to hear that music seems to be stereo again on ABC Radio Sydney on DAB.

4 Likes

Seems Gold Coast SCA DAB+ is off air this morning… Hot Tomato’s offerings still ok. Radio is just saying connecting on all of the SCA ones

7 Likes

Not even there

3 Likes

2 Likes

I would love to see a HT Rocks on that list and use the Power100 log.

4 Likes

yeah

2 Likes

Hot Tomato Power… has a nice ring to it

5 Likes