Digital Radio - Content

They can’t take a trick at BOG.

No sooner than FUN gets fixed, the audio on ZOO has gone AWOL totally.

Sigh.

Edit: And there’s also intermittent audio issues on FUN too, where the sound is sometimes on the left channel only.

4 Likes

Need to be binned ASAP. What a rort of a product.

been issues with 97.3 90’s over the weekend - was playing 3 second loops on DAB+. would play the first 3 seconds of an advert or song on loop for the entire time of the song or advert.

2 Likes

The station name, at least in Sydney, has been changed to “OLDSKOOL90s HITS” on my DAB+ radio.

That means the station is now going directly head-to-head with ARN’s [insert local station name] 90s station. SCA also has MMM 90s, so the company now has two 90s stations on DAB+.

3 Likes

HIT Buddha
HIT Dance
HIT Easy
HIT Urban
OLDSKOOL90S HITS

You’d hate to have some consistency or anything.

10 Likes

So SCA’s response to Triple M 90s doing meh in the ratings and ARN’s 80s station doing very well is to have two 90s stations?

Makes sense.

7 Likes

Makes complete sense… especially when the station they’ve changed to suit the 90’s theme, was the highest rating Hit station in all bar one market (being Melbourne).
I’m sure it’s because they’re feeling threatened by ARN’s 90’s strand, but I’m not sure that imitation is the best option.

2 Likes

What on Earth are they doing?!

They had a pretty decent mix of music, mostly 80’s and 90’s with some 00’s in there, and now they’ve chucked it all out for just 90’s?

Do SCA staff get paid for the number of changes they make? They just can’t help themselves can they?

5 Likes

The researchers advised them to do it. The same researchers who are telling radio stations to be nostalgic about the 90s while ratings fall. :rofl:

1 Like

Long live 91.7 The Wave (and similar FM stations playing smooth 80s/90s) and Smooth FM (DAB here in Perth)!

If you want to play classic hits you really have two popular themes: Smooth 80s/90s or Classic Rock 70s/90s (rock ballads). Next best is 80s hits, however 90s by itself won’t fly, that era was in a state of flux and best sits as an 80s/90s station or 90s/00s station(*).

(*) The latter would be new, maybe too soon to launch that, maybe the guys running The Wave and Coast from Mandurah can use all that spare DAB space to launch a new DAB only station as a 90s/00s mix!

3 Likes

I would drop Hit Easy and let Hit Buddha take care of that genre. I would then replace Hit Easy with Oldskool 00’s.

Mmm that’s a hard no… Love Hit Easy.

4 Likes

Niche Radio now started in Sydney on 32kbps

2 Likes

So that means

32 Niche
32 SEN track
48 2ch
48 SEN victoria

That 160k , they must be borrowing from someone. It’s a limit of 128k per licence.

1 Like

What is Niche currently playing?

When SEN 1170 begins they will need another 32 or 48 kbps?

Italian language show when I tuned in earlier.

2 Likes

Maybe they will borrow from others. Niche radio does have better coverage. At Pennant hills 1539 feels like 2sm 70km away from the transmitter.

1 Like

My prediction: SEN might borrow some bits from Nine on 9B (in addition to the 160kbps currently being used on 9A) to fit SEN 1170, SEN Victoria, SENTrack, Niche Radio and 2CH.

There’s gotta be a reason why Nine Radio are currently only using 192kbps (2GB: 80kbps, 2UE 72kbps, NTS, 40kbps) of the 256kbps they’ve been allocated.

2 Likes

It’s interesting why they swapped then. IE 2ch and 2ue. I guess @RFBurns mentioned it’s more simple technically to have 9c for both UE and GB. They would still need to use 9c if they were to borrow from 9 radio again.