Hit Network

Except I have to respectfully disagree on that one.

If you look at most of the most successful breakfast shows in history, a good bulk of them, whilst yes, do have one centric person, also have other cast members.
Look at Moyles. 8 years at the helm of R1, and now what, 4-5 years at the helm of X? But his cast really made it. If it was just him, it’d be nowhere near entertaining.
Look at Elvis Duran. Coming up to 25 years on WHTZ, and syndicated to 75 stations. But again, his team matters more, and he wouldn’t be anywhere near as entertaining without them.
And Harmer/Denton/Mulray are examples of those.
Dare I say Christian O’Connell is also a current example of this?

But then, I can also use team examples.
The D-Generation for one. Probably one of the most successful breakfast shows in Melbourne’s history. 6 members, no lead necessarily.

If anything a Zoo format, whilst it’s outdated, is probably the best option for stations. But then it’s getting the talent, and keeping it lower budget.
But is SCA likely to take the plunge and go into the deep end? Doubtful. I’m sure they’d go with someone safe.

The mildly forgettable show with Watts/Lund/Monk/Mel B was the closest they’ve had to a zoo. Failed because of the cast, and because SCA was safe.
Dan and Maz, sure, they had the most potential, but they would have worked really well as a Zoo style show.
Rove was probably their best potential for a Mulray/Denton/Harmer.

How many more opportunities do you give them?
They’re either really going to have to pull something amazing out of the box, or they’re going to fade into obscurity.
And I don’t think messing with breakfast is the best option, on a station that’s failing across all segments.

Unfortunately as much as I’d love to say yes, they’re going to get there and potentially get back to number 1, the 80’s and 90’s are gone. There’s more competition than ever. And SCA are playing it safe, because that’s the only way they’re keeping advertisers.
Stations don’t have the budget necessarily, in order to get a show that we would like. And that’s just the simple reality.

2Day will just be in the doldrums until either they find someone ideal, K&J retire, or they blow the station up and start again with something unique. (or all of the above)
Until then, it’s just going through the motions.

3 Likes

Exactly. Running the regional Gawndy & Ash/Maz is probably their best bet, since SCA aren’t going to get anywhere with their safeness anyways. At least running the regional show would give the slot a chance to bed in, rather than however many teams they’ve had in less than a decade.

Just imagine, a 2DayFM Breakfast show that doesn’t get axed just after it starts!

4 Likes

Yeah I actually think that’s the best option.

If they can’t get Dame Edna… “Morning possums!”

2 Likes

When did this happen?

Although he hasn’t done much in recent years, I was under the impression that Doug Mulray had several stints on radio and TV during the 1990s and Early 2000s.

1 Like

Believe it or not, Doug Mulray was back on Channel 9 after Packer died.

1 Like

Did Oldskool changed to Oldskool 90s yesterday at 6AM?

2 Likes

Sure did, I thought they might have launched a separate Old Skool 00’s station as well.

2 Likes

Why narrow the playlist even more? The dance station is also sounding very 90s, it’s horrible.

1 Like

Here’s some useless information, grant broadcasters contended the trademark registration of HIT 1019 in 2016.

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view-opposition?markId=1652376&o=0

4 Likes

Might explain why they kept FOX around, thank god.

1 Like

20th century fox also contested fox!

1 Like

Same story with Hit 1041.
https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/mobile/view/1652370?q=Hit+1041

Would make sense why they backed off from those two in particular.

2 Likes

What Hit should do is dump one of their two drive shows and move one to 2day breakfast. Except theyre both Melbourne based…

Maz Compton, Grant Denyer and Sophie Monk havent worked, so theyre out (plus Sophie has more TV commitments now). Theres no way they’ll network in from the Central Coast as well…thats insane.

Next options, either a proper 1 person personality show with a headline name (like Smallzy but at breakfast, or BBC’S Radio 1 breakfast), or install Tom & Olly into breakfast with a more music format, and run a best of at night in their current slot nationally.

5 Likes

I would’ve thought that just a few weeks ago, but given the state of SCA anything can happen if it’s cheap.

I don’t think many of us would’ve forseen the B105/SAFM names returning, or the regional breakfast networking for that matter…

3 Likes

True but there’s some logic amid that madness. B105 and SAFM never should have been changed in the first place. And networking from state hubs makes sense in that context (not breakfast though).

To pump a regional show into metro? No. If anything, theyd move Gawndy and Ash/Maz to Sydney and pump it up to the coast.

3 Likes

Carrie & Tommy would actually sound good at Sydney breakfast.

3 Likes

Presumably because of the overlap between Maryborough (Hit101.9) with Bundaberg (Hitz 939)? Doesn’t explain 104.1 though.

1 Like

Absolutely agree

Yeah, it does sound crazy, but it’s been done before. It’s not usually a great idea either, but in 2DayFM’s case it can’t get much worse.

You’re probably right on that one, but it’s not really a requirement in 2020.

MediaSpy has found a solution - but do we think they would agree to do breakfast?

Agreed. Smallzy would be a good coup, but I doubt he’d leave Nova.

2 Likes

They’d both have to leave The Project to do it, so not sure. There’d have to be a big carrot dangled.

Not Smallzy exactly, but they type of show he’s doing with a solid name attached.

2 Likes

Maz did work, in afternoons. Problem was, the network wanted ratings to combat K&J overnight, something that takes years.

6 Likes