Different Bat-Time, Different Bat-Channel (Shows on more than one network)

They’ve had “The Wonderful World of Disney” on 9GO, Friday’s at 6:30pm for a few months now.

Started with Moana on Nine on Saturday 7pm earlier in the year.

1 Like

Just to add my two cents to this little charade, courtesy of @TV-Expert:

" there’s a fascinating story on how the long-running US sitcom, Friends , aired on Seven for its 1st season, but aired on Nine from the 2nd season onwards. This was because Lorimar Television, in which Seven had a output deal with, had been taken over by Warner Bros in 1993, in which Nine had an output deal with, and it meant that Seven picked up some Warner Bros titles. Shows like Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman , Hangin’ with Mr Cooper & Step By Step , eventually moved from Seven to Nine as a result of this, as well as obtaining repeat rights of Full House & Perfect Strangers "

I don’t think these shows ever aired on Nine though. Maybe Seven signed a separate deal to keep screening those shows?

I know that later contracts we’re written with stipulations that once a show started on a network it would stay with that network for the life of that show. Unless a network no longer wanted it and onsold the rights to another network or Foxtel.

I think this started happening right after the Friends debacle.

1 Like

I remember Ten picking up Good News Week from the ABC but i don’t think it lasted that long, or certainly didn’t maintain ratings performance.
& didn’t Dr Phil move from 9 to 10 in the late few years?

1 Like

Didn’t Mythbusters move from SBS to 7 at some stage?

1 Like

Top Gear moved to Nine.

That show certainly had an interesting history. The format was pioneered by the ABC in 1981 under the name Towards 2000. One of Aunty’s best performers, it was rating 18 in the 7.30pm Wednesday slot when it was inexplicably dropped by the new head of ABC Television, Brit Richard Thomas, who put a broom through the place in 1984. There was a feeling the show was a little too tabloid so Thomas brought in a BBC crony to establish a new science show, Quantam. After sixteen years Quantum was replaced by Catalyst.

The Towards 2000 reporters put out feelers and received interest from both Seven and Nine. A pilot was made for Seven featuring the crew from the ABC show- Iain Finlay, Jeff Watson, Chris Ardill-Guinness and Carmel Travers- and Beyond 2000 was born. The name was changed because the year 2000 was fast approaching.

As has been mentioned, the show went to Ten in 1993 for several years but returned to Seven in 2005 under the name Beyond Tomorrow.

I remember Hangin’ With Mr Cooper and Step By Step both airing on Nine.

EDIT: Found it in a Nine guide from January 1997 along with a show Nine thieved from Ten, Married… With Children.

7 Likes

Must have been summer filler programming. That was one of those shows that was funny for a couple of seasons but then was really awful for the rest of its run.

Here’s what Seven’s then managing director Gary Rice had to say to Fairfax about Nine taking programs off them during that cutthroat period in the mid '90s.

I am not in the business of setting out to pinch other networks’ programs. There’s an understanding, a convention. That sort of thing isn’t done. But given Nine have done it, they would understand if that’s the way the game is going to be played then so be it. I am not making any threats, but if they want to start that sort of thing they have to be prepared for what is going to happen. In any industry there are some unwritten rules, you try to play by fair rules.

There was speculation at the time that Seven had done a deal to take The Simpsons and The X Files away from Ten.

3 Likes

Well, I guess Nine never got Disney over that period from Seven, which has been considered ‘lucrative’ especially mid-2000s with turn in ratings. Something executives are on the record as saying they always wanted (including Healy and Backwell).

Took 25 years…

Yeah it did. I’d say it would have been around 2007?

2006 or 2007 yep. When the Paramount / CBS content supply arrangements all changed.

Didn’t Seven do a Beyond 2020 in the last few years, perhaps 2 or 3 years ago?

13 years ago I think?

Again, courtesy of TvExpert:

" CBS merged with Paramount Television in 2006, which was around the time when Ten signed an output deal with them, resulting in The Late Show with David Letterman , as well as Dr Phil & Entertainment Tonight , moving from Nine to Ten. Scripted shows that were still running at the time, such as the CSIs (ie. Original, Miami & NY), remained on Nine until the end of their original runs. "

I’d forgotten about that one.

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/beyond-channel-seven-telstra-bring-beyond-2020/

1 Like

Yes it did, only lasted on 10 from 1999 to 2000. But then there was numerous GNW specials and debates that ran for a few years after this. Then 10 revived GNW again in 2008 which was quite a good show I recall.

Yes this was part of the CBS deal with 10. 10 also gained The Late Show with David Letterman as part of this deal which was also previously on 9. When it went to 10 it immediately became available in HD and widescreen. Whereas 9 always showed a poor quality feed straight off a satellite I think that was sometimes weeks behind the USA.

1 Like

Then in 2011, Ten decided to turn Good News Week into Good News World.

1 Like

In the period that Ten gained A Country Practice and Beyond 2000 they also brought Sex over from Nine as Sex/Life and ran Heartbreak High (a spinoff of The Heartbreak Kid), which ended up going to the ABC.

Which itself began as Towards 2000 on ABC before switching to Seven after a few seasons.

Edit, just read @NewsWeary detailed post on the programme.

1 Like